MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy What's the deal?

I have been testing for a full-time position on a fire department for about 4 years now. When I started, some departments were beginning to require paramedic licensure at time of hire or time of application. I thought, no problem, and went and got my EMT-P license. Unfortunately, now they are asking for Firefighter II at time of hire or time of application. Problem is, in order to get FFII, you have to be affiliated with a department. In order to be affiliated with a department, you have to be a FFII. I'm sure you can see the dilemna here. I've been trying to volunteer and even offer to pay for the academy myself and ask for sponsorship only. Still no luck there. Basically, I'm at a standstill that's preventing me from starting my career. I even have a military background, but that doesn't seem to help either. I'm getting terribly frustrated and somewhat discouraged now. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on a path that I can take to get hired somewhere?

-Todd

Forum Member

Default Jobs

Todd:

Where are you testing? Consider expanding your horizons to areas that don't require the FFII.

Subscribe to the job search section of this web site and www.firecareers.com to find out where the testing is taking place and the requirements. This is a cheap investment for a career.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-17-2006 at 12:40 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I have expanded my horizons in the past year. Problem is, many of the departments want FFII for a POC position, not to mention residency limitations. It appears that in this day and age of the almight dollar, municipalities don't want to spend the money putting people through the academy and/or paramedic school. I've gotten medic school done on my own. Now I'm just trying to find a way to get the FFII so that I'll be able to test for those departments that require it at time of application/hire.

-Todd

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile frustration

Todd,
    Hey man, RELAX! I know and feel your frustration. I wouldn't blame the Departments for the rules they must follow. It sounds to me that you have the skills, and background to succeed. I agree with Capt. Bob on this one, expand your horizions,find another Department. One that you feel matches you, and your goals. As Firefighters we must always be flexiable to any situation, finding the right department for you must be one of your goals to achieve this. Most Departments I know require FFI&II,EMT-P as a prereq., once you follow the process, and get hired they will put you through an academy to train you thier way. So maybe going through an academy at your own expense is a little over thought.(Unless it is a College Academy,the Education is always worth it), Keep tring for the Vol. side of things, there are some great ones out there waiting for someone who sounds as dedicated as you. Chin Up man, I was told once you have to apply about 9 times before your dreams are realized. A.B.
    Fight Fire Aggressively,But Provide for SAFTEY First!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

you wouldnt happen to
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Forum Member

I what your talking about and don't let this get you down... Keep on looking and trying and you'll get the job...

I been taken the local test here for 6 years in row and scored in the top every year, but they never had any openings... Then 2000 they added you had to have min. 15 hrs college... Well I fell short a few hours so had to go back to school... Lucky in 2000 I had two good things happen... First the College that hosts our Fire academy started a degree program. This enable me to change over all my past fire training hours to college hours... Then in july my vol. dept was able to get me into the fire academy to get my FF1&2... I was then able to get hired on in Jan 02 when the fire dept. added a new station...

Just don't give up your time will come...

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Broaden your horizens

Dont let the process get you down. If it is what you want to do in life you have to work hard at it. Nothing comes easy. I would tell you to really look outside of your area for employment. I know for a fact that Fairfax County VA is always looking for EMT-P's and they do not require that you have anything on the fire side. YOu have to look around and spend some money to get out there and make it. The more tests you take in more areas the better your chances for a job. I know you might be established in an area and moving is difficult but if it is what you want to do, you have to make sacrafices. If you need some help looking for departments who dont need fire certs just do a search of the forum or start a new post and I am sure you will get plunty of departments.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

I know for a fact most career departments in Colorado do not require fire certs. So try down here! Colorado is seriously one of the best places to live. Great departments here, especially in the Denver Metro Area. Fire certs look good but generally arent a requirement. Medical certification and experience is a must, and reciprocity for out of state Paramedic credentials is a fairly simple process. Oh, and most departments are ALS out here, a vast majority of them transport ALS even, so they need medics badly (im speaking for the Denver area). Like everyone else has said, moving around sucks but start to look outside your area just in case, if this is your true goal. Good luck!

P.S. Some departments in the metro denver area will give veteran preference points, including Denver Fire (largest in the state) and I believe West Metro Fire (large ALS department, but dont quote me on the veteran points there.) Anyways, seriously, good luck!
    Last edited by IBQwerty21; 06-18-2006 at 09:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow! You got your medic and FF I.

Come to Florida. We are only several thousand medics short across the state. They need medics and there are many departments that will send you to the academy. You said you are willing to pay your way as well. Come down get your cert and get a job or return to where you desire to live after you get your FF II. You dont have to be sponsored here.

Good Luck....

Thread Information