MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fitness in the Firehouse

I have an issue and I am looking for some feedback. I work for a combo dept. In fact we just started full time service this Jan., so we are going through some growing pains and experiences. The issue at hand among others is the fact that the powers that be will not give us time to work out during the day. The only feed back I've gotten is that we have 15 hours to do that after 1700 hrs. I've spoken to several other area ffs. but I think I need to broaden my search. So the question is, what is your dept. policy for fitness and what are your feelings about it?

Be Safe
    mbk

MembersZone Subscriber

Several options...

1. Come in early and workout before shift.
    2. Stay late and work out.
    or
    3. Which I recommend
    ****Work out sometime btwn 5-7 pm, whats the problem??

My old department, we worked out at 4pm, last hour of the work day was for PT.

At my new department, which I just started, we PT first thing after checkouts.

Forum Member

After apparatus and station duties we can exercise as long as we want if we stay at our station. If we exercise at another station which has more equipment we can stay there for two hours because it's out of our primary response district.

I've talked to other departments who require PT before the apparatus checks.

MembersZone Subscriber

----------------
    Last edited by POWERSLADDER2; 08-26-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by POWERSLADDER2
    Its all in how the fitness program is presented to management: highlight the fact that a full 50% of LODD's are a result of MI/Stroke and the importance of fitness in firefighter preparedness. It should be as critical as training, equipment, etc. and should be sold that way to your managers.
    POWERSLADDER2 has good advise.

Our department embraces and encourages members to workout whenever they want. They have come to realize the finacial benefits to the city. Lower sick leave usage, lower injury on-duty rates, lower disibility rates. The cities risk managment department has also jumped on board. All stations have cardio and strength training equipment.

Let your chief know that his parent organization the International Association of Fire Chiefs(IAFC) has partnered with the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and together have come up with a Health and Wellness program.
    http://www.iafc.org/displaycommon.cf...articlenbr=382

Do your homework, go to career fire department websites. Alot have their health and wellness programs listed and display them proudly. If your a member of the IAFF have your Local president contact them, they have tons of supporting info. Good luck and let us know how it's going.
    "Firefighters do not regard themselves as heroes because they do what the business requires.Ē

Chief Edward F. Croker, FDNY

Forum Member

Is your day scheduled out until 5 pm?

Our dept policy is PT any time that other training isn't schedule. It has to before 10 p.m. and not during a lunch break, 11 am to 1 pm

MembersZone Subscriber

technically we're supposed to be busy until 1700, however we generally have some down time in the afternoon if we're not running calls

Thread Information