Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to...

god

Question How to...

So how does one go about becoming a dispatcher? I know there is an "EMD" ...but what kind of training goes into that and where is this done?

thanks!

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

god

I see that there are different 'levels'...do i start with the EMD Cert. or can i just start with the Advanced EMD?

thanks for the great link and fast response!

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    I see that there are different 'levels'...do i start with the EMD Cert. or can i just start with the Advanced EMD?

thanks for the great link and fast response!
    you would have to call or email them ..........I think there is now ONLY ADV EMD........and if you were wondering..........I am one too. Glad to be of service.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The answer is based on your location and the rules of the center. In CT you also need a Public Safety Telecommunicator Cert. Some centers also require EMT-B.

Also, there are different 'brands' of EMD. Medical Priority is one (I have this one), there is also Power Phone, and one by APCO. Different centers may use different systems. They are close but not the same.

I would suggest starting local and talking with dispatchers for your service, or PD/FD/EMS for your town. Also search online for openings. In most cases, having these certs ahead of time is helpful but not required. These two sites come to mind for starters.

http://www.911dispatch.com/db/index.php
    http://www.911hotjobs.com/

Good luck.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    So how does one go about becoming a dispatcher? I know there is an "EMD" ...but what kind of training goes into that and where is this done?

thanks!
    Go apply. Don't worry about getting training before you get hired somewhere because you'll be wasting your money. Whatever agency you get hired on with will pay for any training you need. Go apply at agencies you think you want to work at. Request to do sit a longs to make sure this is something you CAN and WANT to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim911
    Go apply. Don't worry about getting training before you get hired somewhere because you'll be wasting your money. Whatever agency you get hired on with will pay for any training you need. Go apply at agencies you think you want to work at. Request to do sit a longs to make sure this is something you CAN and WANT to do.
    Definitely agree here..... I work for 2 different dispatch centers and must maintain 2 different EMD certifications. If I would have kept my Medical Priority EMD cert from the previous job it would have done me no good at either of these places since one uses Power Phone and the other uses APCO. Each center had their own SOP's and they will get you trained in the way they want you to do it.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Thread Information