Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help with Interview question

Just had an interview couple days ago... I have one question that is stuck on my mine whether I answered it well enough and I was hoping to hear how everyone would answer this...

You are a rookie FF working with a senior FF at the station. A woman stops by to get her blood pressure check. After the BP check, the senior FF starts flirting with the woman, tells her she is beautiful and has nice legs, then asks her for her phone number. What would you do about this?

Let's here what everyone has to say...

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Question

Your answer first please.

Forum Member

I would tell him she's my mother.

j/k.

That's a very tough question. No safe way to answer that one it seems.

MembersZone Subscriber

My answer to this question was:

I would tell the senior FF, that I felt uncomfortable about the situation and as a rookie/probationary FF I didn't know my postion toward this. I wouldn't bring this to the attention of the captain, and that he should be careful from crossing the line in the work place.
    But if this happened repeatedly and I was always around to witness the senior FF flirty gestures towards women in the station during work, then I would be obligated to bring this attention to the captain.

Forum Member

why would you feel obligated if it happened numerous times when the first time it wasn't bad enough for you to report?

Forum Member

Default Question

This is a scenario question. In as few words as possible what is this question about?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-20-2006 at 12:05 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

sexual harassment

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moosefire05
    My answer to this question was:

I would tell the senior FF, that I felt uncomfortable about the situation and as a rookie/probationary FF I didn't know my postion toward this. I wouldn't bring this to the attention of the captain, and that he should be careful from crossing the line in the work place.
    But if this happened repeatedly and I was always around to witness the senior FF flirty gestures towards women in the station during work, then I would be obligated to bring this attention to the captain.
    I think that's a fair and very professional answer. Good job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moosefire05
    Just had an interview couple days ago... I have one question that is stuck on my mine whether I answered it well enough and I was hoping to hear how everyone would answer this...

You are a rookie FF working with a senior FF at the station. A woman stops by to get her blood pressure check. After the BP check, the senior FF starts flirting with the woman, tells her she is beautiful and has nice legs, then asks her for her phone number. What would you do about this?
    Notice how they try to throw you off by stating you're a rookie FF. This question can be disguised in several different ways but it's the same quesiton. If you break it down into it's simpliest terms or words you can take off the disguise and know what the question is really about.

Once you have determined what the question is about picture a piece of paper in your mind with a line drawn down the center. On the left of the line are issues dealing with ethics, stealing, drugs, or drinking. On the right it's getting along with others. This can help you decide what your answer will be.

Is this sexual harrassment, inappropriate behavior or ethics? Would either be tollerated by the department?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-20-2006 at 12:25 AM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt. Bob,

Sexual harassment was what I was thinking... so would the proper answer be; I would bring the attention to the captain, that the senior FF has sexually harrassed a women in the station.
    Is that how you would answer it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chappy76
    why would you feel obligated if it happened numerous times when the first time it wasn't bad enough for you to report?

When I answered this question, I was thinking this was the first time the rookie witnessed the senior FF's actions towards the woman and that the rookie FF shouldn't say anything or else it might cause drama or perhaps ruin the interpersonal relationship between the rookie FF & senior FF.
    I also added that the senior FF should be careful in the future to not cross the line (almost like a informal verbal warning). So in the future if I was the rookie, and I witnessed the senior FF repeat his actions a second time... then I know that the senior FF has a problem and continues to break department policy and ethics, therefore a result to report this attention to the captain. That's what I was thinking during the oral board... whether I was right or wrong, I guess we'll have to see fif I earned a FF job...
    But out of curiosity; how would you answer this question?

Forum Member

This also occurred to me when reading the replies. You don't want to be judgemental as you're a rookie firefighter. For all you knew, the lady may know the senior firefighter and you simply haven't seen her at all yet.

I think the initial answer is as good as it gets. Good luck. How did the rest of the interview go?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EBialas
    This also occurred to me when reading the replies. You don't want to be judgemental as you're a rookie firefighter. For all you knew, the lady may know the senior firefighter and you simply haven't seen her at all yet.

I think the initial answer is as good as it gets. Good luck. How did the rest of the interview go?
    Thanks for your support EBiala! The rest of the interview I think went fairly well, I just hate not knowing if I gave a great enough answer...we'll have to see.

Forum Member

There are two real world ways to handle this situation (assuming the woman in questions is actually beautiful with nice legs):
    1: If he is denied the #, spend the rest of the day making refences to his crash and burn earlier. Getting as amany other guys involved in the ribbing is most preferred. Also, when you tell them the story, imbelish, A LOT. Tell them he was shut down by this hairy overweight troll getting her BP checked. Since he is a senior guy, a few "you vision must be starting to go" remarks can also help.
    2: He gets the number. Now, she could have been ugliest chick you've ever seen, but to the rest of the guys, she was a 10. No questions asked. The rest of the day is spent jockeying for position at the other end while the senior guy is taggin it. Still, finding ways to cut on the old timer who stepped out of the box is appreciated.

Everyone just take it easy. Im just havin some fun. I think you answered the question well. Im all talk. I would and have answered the question the same way. Best of luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why isn't this question simply about a guy meeting a woman he finds attractive and making a move to establish a relationship? It happens every day. If this blood pressure taknig took place ni a public area (which it should have) and took place in front of other people (which it did) there was nothing improper. When the exchange takes place, if she says no, the case is closed. If she says yes and is interested in also establishing a relationship, it is done on his off-duty hours. There is no issue there either.

This scenario is not sexual harrassment by anyone's definition and any FF-rookie or not- has no business putting their nose into it.

And that would have been MY answer.

Forum Member

Default Finally

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    This scenario is not sexual harrassment by anyone's definition and any FF-rookie or not- has no business putting their nose into it.
    George is right!! When does a snott nose rookie get involved with telling a senior FF what he's doing wrong, keeping an inventory on him and if he continues go snitch to the captain. If you did that in a real life situation in the fire house they would eat you alive.

This is clearly a question you can answer with you wouldn't do anything except keep your head down, be all ears and not mouth, and try to become the best firefighter you could be. The captain is running the station; not the rookie.

This is a good example how a candidate will take the bait and run with it. When you stop and take off the diguise from this question it lets you see the true core of what the question is about. As the example above elistrates this falls on the right side of the line getting along with others.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-20-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Great discussion guys, nice to hear all your opinions about this.

Thread Information