Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Closeout Question

I am closing out a grant for an emergency facility generator and I am confused by these 2 questions:

1. Is the program (not the grant) continuing beyond the expiration date of this FEMA grant?

What does this mean? Is it asking if I am using the equipment past the expiration date?

2. If the above answer is yes, does the grantee request to continue use of all or part of the equipment?

Hmmm. Well we own the equipment. Don't we? Certainly the feds don't own our generator. Why would I have to seek permission to continue using it? Or am I totally confused?

Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Webfire,

Since the emergency generator would meet the first threshold of exceeding $5,000 the answer to both questions is yes. You will be using the generator beyond the expiration date of the grant and you will want to continue to use the generator.

Once you answer yes to the questions you wiil have to supply additional info such as description of item, location, date of aquisition, date of installation, cost and so on.

I had to do the same thing for our Plymovent System that was from the 2003 grant.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Technically you own the equipment as long as you continue to you use it, within reason. So you can't sell it just because the 3 year performance period of the grant is over. You'll have to keep it and not make a profit off of the taxpayer's bucks (insert jokes about politicians here).

It's a reasonability check on use. So our heavy rescue we got in 2002 like most vehicle awards probably ought to stay in service for at least 10 years before a thought about getting rid of them. Ours will probably make 20, that's the way we built it, so it's really a moot point on our end. I haven't confirmed it, but there was word of one department trying to sell the truck after the closeout and buy two less expensive trucks. Not a good idea.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I was answering correctly.

Thread Information