Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Inventive training ideas

I was just wondering if anybody had any cool or inventive ideas for training, that are out of the ordinary.

For example we do what we call water polo. It along the lines of a tug-a-war game where we string a ball on a line and two teams go head to head trying to get the ball past their opponent. This is great for learning to maneuver your hand lines and getting really wet (best if done in August when its really hot). We make it into a competition and even give prizes out to the top three winners.

Thanks
    Captain Jay

MembersZone Subscriber

We have contests like that every year around here, mostly at festivals, we have a few contests at the one festival that has a pump-in every year, this is all done with teams of 4, the water barrel contest, like you described, although our's is done with a small keg ( yes it's empty, and no we didn't drink it there!! been empty for years!), also have a mock alarm, you have to dress full gear, minus pack, and I think you don't have your gloves on either, you dress, and someone is there watching making sure you don't miss any snaps or anything, so it's just like the real thing, then you roll out 2 50' sections of 1 1/2" hose got to connect them, and connect to a gated wye, and also connect the noxxle to the other end, and then put out fake flames on a wooden house, it's a good thing to help with teamwork, , also there is a bucket brigade, you get 4 I think they are 2 gallon buckets, you put up a 10-12 foot ladder, there is a I think 25-30 barrel on top of the scaffolding that's setup, it's got a small piece of pipe mounted on the side, with a little ping pong ball in it, and you fill the buckets from a drop tank, and pass them to the guys on the ladder, ( you can't stand on the scaffolding either! gotta have 2 on the ladder both leg locked on the ladder) they dump them in the barrel and try to do it in the quickest times. usually several people get wet when there timed event is over b/c you can't get off the ladder quick enough! I am sure I can get pics if you really would like to see what I am talking to

In most places what you are describing is called waterball and there are actually inter-department competitions, tournaments, and an international set of rules. We do many other games for fun like waterball as well.

Anyone got any other ideas for Fire/EMS training that are like jjccoonn said, out of the ordinary?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

yes I realize these are just games, and not that out of the ordinary, but like i said it does help people work together, and if you are mixing it up with other depts. and mix up teams and everything, it helps people work together from other depts that might not know some people on your dept. and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881
    yes I realize these are just games, and not that out of the ordinary, but like i said it does help people work together, and if you are mixing it up with other depts. and mix up teams and everything, it helps people work together from other depts that might not know some people on your dept. and what not.

That is very true. But, if I were going to train with another dept. it would be how to work together and efficently on a fire/EMS/accident/MCI scene together. Then once that was established, I am all for the fun. That is, if you are just at a regular drill. If it is just a competition for competitions sake such as a muster....I am behind the idea 100%!!!!!!

Get what I'm saying? (not trying to be an arse if thats the way im coming off, just want to clarify if i can)
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

yes I get what you are saying, guess i should've made myself more clear, we do train with other depts as what might happen on a call, the games would happen on a weekend or something, our training nights are specifically for that, TRAINING, guess I should've made that a little more clear

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881
    yes I get what you are saying, guess i should've made myself more clear, we do train with other depts as what might happen on a call, the games would happen on a weekend or something, our training nights are specifically for that, TRAINING, guess I should've made that a little more clear

AH HA!

Eureka!

Hot Diggety!

...okay thats all of the cheesy discovery lines I could come up with.

Sounds good my man. Glad we are all cleared up. And we have fun too......here's pics from the Northwest Ohio Volunteer Firemen's Association Convention this past weekend..........http://www.montpelierfire.com/conven...tion/index.htm

Thread Information