Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Are there any Bases that require Rescue School?

Does anyone know of any bases that require the Air Force Rescue school? It is one school that i would love to get into but our Chief isn't too happy with the idea of sending someone TDY there. We work on a base with large cargo ships and plenty of confined spaces but no one here is configned space trained. Kind of dangerous if you ask me but what do i know i'm just a firefighter.
    Mike
    Last edited by meapplegate; 06-20-2006 at 09:13 AM.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate
    Does anyone know of any bases that require the Air Force Rescue school? It is one school that i would love to get into but our Chief isn't too happy with the idea of sending someone TDY there. We work on a base with large cargo ships and plenty of confined spaces but no one here is configned space trained. Kind of dangerous if you ask me but what do i know i'm just a firefighter.
    Mike
    I'm not sure that I know of any bases that REQUIRE rescue school. Especially if it is a base that has military FFs. When a military member gets a new assignment, his certifications are not considered in the process, so even if that base "requires" rescue school, they are going to get that new military guy regardless if he has it or not. On the GS side, if you are going for a position that requires rescue I or II, then yes, your going to need the cert. Should probably ask your Chief to reconsider, but then again, it's his department and his call..

Forum Member

Default Rescue School

I am on the GS side and work on a army base with no military firefighter. Our chief won't allow us to go to rescue school because he doesn't see it as required. I'm looking for a base where they will send you.

Forum Member

I work at a USMC base, and we are required (in our PD) to have confined space rescue tech.

Forum Member

Default Rescue School

The USAF requires all rescue personnel attend or be scheduled to attend the Rescue Course to be qualified to ride the rescue vehicle (AFI 32-2001). DoDI 6055.6 requires that each service component (Army, Navy, etc...) dictate their own individual requirements. I know that several Army bases send their personnel to the Rescue course. There was three Army students in my class of 12 for the Rescue course. Contact SFC Gerald Anderson (Chief Army Instructor at the DoD Fire Academy) at DSN: 477-4829 or GS-12 Wendy Johnson (Training Manager) at DSN: 477-4840 for course scheduling information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Csr

Meapplegate,

Not sureif you havesome type of agreement for off base agencies to respond. However, you may want to ask your Chief how he can explain to OSHA and the DoD as to why his personnel are not CSR trained. If you have confined spaces on your base and you NEVER train on them, then I am sure OSHA would love to speak to the Chief, especially of you have the equipment to respond. After all, an emergency response department that is responsible for confined spaces in their jurisdictions are required by OSHA to train on each type annually. On the other hand, if he has some agreement and justification as to why he does not respond, that's a different story. I personally have never heard of such a situation where a military base is not responsible for confined space rescues in their jurisdiction.

As for AF firefighters, it's up to the Chief as to who he or she wants on the Confined Space Rescue Team. When you receive certification from either Goodfellow or USAFE Fire Academy for attending the Technical Rescue I course, you are automatically certified as a confined space rescue technician due to that being part of the curriculum.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kferrara2002 View Post
    Meapplegate,

Not sureif you havesome type of agreement for off base agencies to respond. However, you may want to ask your Chief how he can explain to OSHA and the DoD as to why his personnel are not CSR trained. If you have confined spaces on your base and you NEVER train on them, then I am sure OSHA would love to speak to the Chief, especially of you have the equipment to respond. After all, an emergency response department that is responsible for confined spaces in their jurisdictions are required by OSHA to train on each type annually. On the other hand, if he has some agreement and justification as to why he does not respond, that's a different story. I personally have never heard of such a situation where a military base is not responsible for confined space rescues in their jurisdiction.

As for AF firefighters, it's up to the Chief as to who he or she wants on the Confined Space Rescue Team. When you receive certification from either Goodfellow or USAFE Fire Academy for attending the Technical Rescue I course, you are automatically certified as a confined space rescue technician due to that being part of the curriculum.
    ...still wont get off the OSHA thing will you big papa?

Forum Member

Wink Rescue TECH

I'm a civilain working for a USMC base and we preform high angle & confine space rescue. We receive our training from Urban H.A.R.T, great company.

http://www.urbanhart.com/shopsite/index.html

In January we had a transfer and developed "efficiency stations" So you have a station in charge of Tech rescue, Haz-Mat, & Dive. Its something we have been working towards for a long time. We are still ironing out everthing however it is coming together. The only downfall is you have to be assigned one of those companies to receive the training.

Thread Information