MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Volunteer/PaidonCall FD's and Explorers

I need to know how many of the Volunteer fire depts out there have explorer posts and if so how are you managing the ride times etc. Please message me back. I am a new explorer advisor and just need ot know if what I am deciding to do will be the right thing. Thanks everyone and be safe
    Last edited by ems18909; 06-20-2006 at 10:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

hi there i am an ex explorer and now i am an advisor for our post our explorers are toned with us on their pagers, and they can run with us but not on the first truck. if you have anymore questions email me at djohnston@southlyonfire.com

Forum Member

Our juniors,which generally at a time we have 4 at the most, get issued a pager...They can respond any time day or night and the only restrictions they have are no interior and no medicals unless its only them and one other person that shows up...Otherwise we're fair game
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My first dept was combo career/volunteer with explorers age 16-21. I joined at 21 and missed the "experience" of being an explorer.

Briefly, explorers are issued pagers, can respond to all calls except when in school, as applicable. All personnel must ride rigs, no POVs allowed, so like everyone else explorers must make a truck to make the scene. As long as seats are available without displacing any regular members, there are no limits to the number of explorers on a rig - though rigs cannot respond without rig-specific minimum SOP-required number of regular members. Explorers can perform all functions as long as training prerequisites are met, with the exception of interior attack.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Here at our department, explorers are issued a pager and gear after they have "been around a while" and have demonstrated a basic knowledge of how our scenes are operated. When they recieve their equipment they are allowed to respond to any incident either by pov or in the apparatus so long as they are not taking a seat on the rig from a firefighter. Explorers are to comply with our department policy which requires them to report to the station until all appropriate apparatus are enroute. Explorers are only allowed to perform support functions on our incidents such as equipment retrieval, traffic control, accountability, changing bottles, and taking MFR notes at EMS incidents. In some limited situations our explorers may be on a hoseline on the exterior of a building, well after the fire has been knocked down. After each incident, explorers are required to return to their station and complete their own incident/training report and attach a completed NFIRS report to their attendance sheet. If I can help you any further feel free to contact me, I am a former explorer myself and now a Lieutenant in charge of training. trailfreek@msn.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Explorers are activated like firefighters with tones, and ride in on the rigs. They are issued department pagers. They can't ride on the first out or take he seat of a firefighter. We have left Explorers at the station before.

We have limited the program to 10 to insure we have enough firefighters to supervise.

We also require all Explorers to mintain a C average, and can not respond to calls during school hours or calls after 2000hr during a school week.

Our Explorers can not participate in interior attack, or extrication. They usually play the role of "go-fer" at emergency scene, but they do the job that doesn't have to pull away a firefighter.

I came up through the Explorer program an think it is an excellent recruitment tool. The "kids" get see what it may be like to be a firefighter, and usually stick around to be firefighters. We've had a post since 1999 and have had had 5 Explorers stay to be good firefighters.
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skcfa1523
    Here at our department, explorers are issued a pager and gear after they have "been around a while" and have demonstrated a basic knowledge of how our scenes are operated. When they recieve their equipment they are allowed to respond to any incident either by pov or in the apparatus so long as they are not taking a seat on the rig from a firefighter. Explorers are to comply with our department policy which requires them to report to the station until all appropriate apparatus are enroute. Explorers are only allowed to perform support functions on our incidents such as equipment retrieval, traffic control, accountability, changing bottles, and taking MFR notes at EMS incidents. In some limited situations our explorers may be on a hoseline on the exterior of a building, well after the fire has been knocked down. After each incident, explorers are required to return to their station and complete their own incident/training report and attach a completed NFIRS report to their attendance sheet. If I can help you any further feel free to contact me, I am a former explorer myself and now a Lieutenant in charge of training. trailfreek@msn.com
    Isn't traffic control a little dangerous for explorers??? There are firefighters that have been injured or killed at emergency scenes by traffic. I wouldn't put any of "my kids" on a busy street. I would treat the explorers the same way.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Isn't traffic control a little dangerous for explorers??? There are firefighters that have been injured or killed at emergency scenes by traffic. I wouldn't put any of "my kids" on a busy street. I would treat the explorers the same way.
    I can see your point, and it is not something we take lightly. Explorers are required to adhere to our department policy by wearing their turnout gear for visibility and are not just "turned loose" to do traffic control. An expirenced firefighter or police officer works with them through several calls prior to them being allowed to do it on their own. We have found that by instilling a little bit of earned trust into the explorers they listen to directions and safety precautions with out issue. I am not making light of your post as it is a very serious concern but Firefighters have died driving to and walking around fire scenes and we don't stop or explorers from doing either of those. It is very unfortunate that firefighters have died directing traffic, however, we try to use those cases as learning tools for our explorers and staff. Please do not think I am making light of your comment however if we stopped explorers from doing every activity that a firefighter has died doing, the purpose of the explorer program would be defeated.

Forum Member

i am a explorer and how we run it is who ever gets to the station first and gets there gear on and its the driver/officers choise i would say if i was a adviser i wouldent let a explorer on a truck untill he learned the basic skills he would be doing on the trluck lets say dressing a hydrent, changeing SCBA bottles and other tasks that explorers will be doing on seen

MembersZone Subscriber

We differentiate between Explorer and Junior members.
    Explorers are ages 14-16 and are not members of the department. The program is run under guidance of the Boy Scouts of America. They are not issued gear and cannot respond to calls. They do take part in supervised training and other station activities.
    Juinior members are ages 16-18. They are members of the department and are issued gear/pagers. They can respond to calls, except after 10pm on School nights. They are not interior and are typically assigned "go-fer" duties. There is a max of two junior members per rig and they are the first to get bumped by a firefighter depending on the call. If some Junior members respond, we typically try to let at least one ride no matter how many firefighters are available. The exception being RIT where if I have 6 FF's, I'm running with 6. Juniors don't run mutual/automatic aid or other out-of-town calls.

Forum Member

we have a post .............they have pagers and they dont ride out to incidents....EVER
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Explorer Progression

We have had our explorers for a year and finally it seems that some of our firemen are allowing them to do some things. If there is a controlled LZ at the Hospital due to Interfacility, we let them go on those, because we get notification of 40 minutes or more that the chopper is e/r. Secondly we assign them to a FF during the LZ. We dont let them hold a position by themselves and actually most of the time they stay near the unit. They all have turnout gear and a decent helmet which was awesome of my department to purchase and it seems to be working.

On occasion we have let one or two ride the unit, while we're there for a meeting etc but mostly not.
    They have helped out during prolonged mop ups of brush fires and a couple of the explorers going through school have gone out with us when we run mututal aid calls for breush fires. non are allowed to go on structure fires-EVER. and sometimes rescue calls, wwe have taken one or two, particularly seeing that I oversea the explorers (the same group) wehn they ride at EMS (Mostly on my shift)
    if you need to view a copy of our protocols and ridetime procedures. Please visit. http://www.myemscorner.com

FE Engine Captain

Post Fire Explorer Program

Being engine captain for an explorer post, I would love to be able to ride out on alarms, yet we are not allowed to. Our explorers are not allowed to ride out on any alarm no matter what the circumstances are. We are allowed however to come to the station to help with overhaul after a major incident or fire. Currently, I am trying to propose the idea of a ride out program for our explorers but cannot seem to gain any support. I have already posted a thread asking for help with this topic, http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92183 so please, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

Watch out for child labor laws. We used to have explorers 14-18. Due to new laws (or us just learning/understanding them), we now have the following restrictions.

-Under 15 can't ride on any apparatus
    -Under 16 and respond past 7pm, or stay out past 10. (i.e. if the call comes in at 6:59, they can go, but can't stay on scene or at the station after 10, if the call comes in at 7:01, they can't go)
    -17 and 18 year olds can respond until 10pm

-Also, no heights over 6' (this includes hosebeds, so much for not having to pack 5")

Not sure how the laws work in your state, but that's how it is here. It all came to light last year after an apparatus accident with several 14 year old explorers on board (neighboring town).

Has with most of the other responses, trained/interior personnel get preference on trucks, no POV's to the scene. Also, we sometimes leave them behind depending on the incident (suicide, an incident involving someone there age, etc)

We've had a lot of explorers become regular members over the years, including myself (Captain), our deputy chief, and 2 Lt's. Very worthwhile program

Thread Information