Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    That's exactly right.

Who has been advocating a pre-emptive strike? Liberals. Who oput forht the Hawaiian trajectory theory? The media.

See a pattern here?
    Yes. Thet you also buy into paranoid right wing conspiracy theories.

But I've known that a long time.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

On a serious note. I think it might be wise to station a couple of USN ships equipped with anti missile missiles (if there is such a thing) or put something on a neighboring island just outside NK territorial waters. The second one of NK's missiles leaves its airspace, someone yells "PULL" and a very expensive round of skeet begins.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    My personal assessment of what will be done will be to station at least 5 AEGIS equipped ships in a picket line off N Korea in international waters,with a datalink to NORAD for added tracking capability.The order to fire will include the word"Pull!".Those of you familiar with skeet and trap shooting will understand.
    There is a huge difference between typical AEGIS missions such as Air-defense (AAW) and targeting balistic/semi-balistic missles (TBM). AEGIS is very good at AAW, so any bombers, cruise missles, houseflies would be toast. Whether it can be successfully used against TBM targets remains to be seen.

BTW: Japan also has AEGIS on the Kongo-class destroyers. S.Korea is also getting some in their KDX-3 class, but that isn't fielded yet. Source

MembersZone Subscriber

Default North Korea shuns Chinese diplomacy

From The Guardian
    Hopes for an early end to the North Korean missile crisis were dashed today after China reportedly failed to persuade its ally to stop test-firing missiles and return to six-party talks on its nuclear weapons programme.

Talks between South and North Korea also ended in failure, with Seoul's top negotiator returning home a day earlier than planned.

Attention is now expected to turn to the UN security council, whose permanent members are split on a Japanese motion calling for sanctions against North Korea.

Article continues
    North Korea caused international uproar last week when it test-fired seven missiles into the Sea of Japan, including a long-range ballistic missile thought to be capable of striking the US mainland.

The US assistant secretary of state, Christopher Hill, said Chinese negotiators were "baffled" by North Korea's refusal to respond to diplomatic overtures from its biggest aid donor and closest ally.

"Through this all, we have sought to speak with one voice and make a clear signal on what [the North Koreans] need to do," Mr Hill told reporters in Beijing today. "So far they don't seem to be interested in listening, much less doing anything to address the situation.

"I think the Chinese are as baffled as we are. China has done so much for that country and that country seems intent on taking all of China's generosity and then giving nothing back."

The UN security council had agreed to postpone a vote on sanctions to give more time to China's chief negotiator, Wu Dawei, who is due to return to Beijing tomorrow.

Wang Guangya, China's ambassador to the UN, said North Korea had yet to respond to Chinese concerns over the tests.

China and Russia oppose Japan's call for a ban on the transfer of money, technology and materials that could be used for North Korea's missile programme and have tabled a resolution that "strongly deplores" the missile tests but which does not mention punitive measures.

The resolution is being interpreted as a sign that Russia and China are taking a harder line against North Korea; last week they called on the security council only to issue a presidential statement on the tests.

But Japan's UN envoy, Kenzo Oshima, said it would be "very difficult" to accept the Russian and Chinese resolution in its present form.

Mr Hill said he was confident the security council's permanent members could reach agreement. "These are tense times, these are difficult times," he said. "There will be a very strong, very clear message to North Korea."

China, meanwhile, accused Japan of "pouring oil on the fire" after Japan's chief cabinet secretary, Shinzo Abe, said his country should look into the possibility of pre-emptive military strikes against North Korean launch sites. There are question marks over the legality of pre-emptive strikes as Japan's constitution forbids it from using military force to resolve international disputes.

Jiang Yu, a Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman, said of Mr Abe's comments: "This practice is extremely irresponsible and incomprehensible and it will only seriously disrupt international diplomatic efforts and accelerate tensions in north-east Asia."

Mr Abe repeated Japan's determination to push for a security council vote on sanctions now that China's diplomatic efforts appear to have failed. "We can't be twisted around by any attempts to buy time to water down the strong resolve of the international community over the firing of the missiles."

Talks between the two Koreas broke up early after South Korea refused its neighbour's demand for 500,000 tonnes of rice, saying it would suspend all food aid in response to the tests.

The US and South Korea are reportedly considering resuming multilateral talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons programme, even in its absence. "In the event of the North's continued refusal [to attend], a five-party meeting could be an alternative," the Yonhap news agency quoted a South Korean diplomat as saying.

North Korea walked away from the talks, last held in November. It has asked repeatedly for the release of funds in a Macao-based bank frozen by the US Treasury.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default kim jong ill

Did anybody else notice the guy has one set of clothes? Every time I see him he is wearing that brown deal . kinda goofy looking guy running the country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    There is a huge difference between typical AEGIS missions such as Air-defense (AAW) and targeting balistic/semi-balistic missles (TBM). AEGIS is very good at AAW, so any bombers, cruise missles, houseflies would be toast. Whether it can be successfully used against TBM targets remains to be seen.
    Actually, the SM/AEGIS combination is something like 7 hits in 8 tests vs. ballistic missles. It has done much better than its land based counterparts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    Did anybody else notice the guy has one set of clothes? Every time I see him he is wearing that brown deal . kinda goofy looking guy running the country.
    And I would hope the leader of any nation would be able to find someone who knows how to cut hair.

the 4-1-4

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the AEGIS was designed for this, provided they intercepted the missiles before they left the atmosphere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the AEGIS was designed for this, provided they intercepted the missiles before they left the atmosphere.
    The only American missile defense system that is designed to destroy missles in the boost phase, ie 'on the way up' is the airborne laser system. Both the Standard SM-3/Aegis system and the land based systems are designed to destroy the missles in the descent phase, usually outside the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    And I would hope the leader of any nation would be able to find someone who knows how to cut hair.
    Ain't that the truth! What does the dude do, use a flowbee?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    Actually, the SM/AEGIS combination is something like 7 hits in 8 tests vs. ballistic missles. It has done much better than its land based counterparts.
    Oh, I didn't say we weren't WORKIGN on the capability, just that it wasn't fielded yet. 7/8 are odds I wouldn't want to take knowing the consequences of that 1 miss.

Every time I see Kim Jong Ill I think of This movie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45

Tim Wilson has a set where he talked about how he knew Bill Clinton shouldn't have been elected because he drove an El Camino in college:"If you can't decide between a Malibu or a pick up,dammit I don't want you running the Free World."
    Guess the same could be said about "Great Leader"?

Thread Information