MembersZone Subscriber

If I was you I would not worry about it. Ask your Chief.

We mostly have "'standby at your station" around here. If we are put on standby, we stay at our station until called to either one of our own or one for the mutual aid department. We are neighboring cities and works out great.

Ask your Chief was works in your area.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

They way it works with us is, when we get a standby we do it at thier station and are commited to thier station till we are released. That means if we get a call in our district we don't go. Our dept. is large enough to handle this and if it is a working fire needing more man power, chances are anouther dept has already been alerted. Our county has gone to dispatching 2 companies on any reported working structal fire. Gettting a second alarm in your own district sucks when you are on standby, but the other deprtmants chief is reling on that truck to take care of anything else in his district.

Forum Member

I've got multiple responses to this one...

In very rural areas, where stations can be many miles apart, I don't really see how you can get around transfer assignments (move-ups). Years ago, I ran in such an area, and they did a good job of this. In that case, the county communications center was responsible for coordinating the transfers in such a way that no area was substantially stripped of coverage.

In more densely populated areas, such as where I am now, we tend more toward having coverage companies on standby in their own stations. The logic for this is that the couple of minutes they lose in a few miles extra travel distance is made up by the fact they don't have to assemble a crew before they respond, since they are already standing by at their station. There are exceptions, such as Tanker Task Force deployments, where large areas are stripped of all of a particular resource. In that case, we do request very limited transfers to plug some of the holes, but try to cherry-pick units so that we don't leave anyone in a tight spot by doing so.

When we do have coverage standbys in effect, regardless of where they are, it's because we are committed, so the coverage companies run any other calls that come in. We don't do that "our paint job has to be out front in our district" crap.
    Last edited by bobsnyder; 06-23-2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typos

Forum Member

We had two engines in a single station company. We never sent one to standby at another station unless we had the other engine crew standing by.

The thing I couldn't ever figure out in the stand by procedure is that if there was an incident five stations away, why they moved every engine over one house rather than just sending an engine from a two engine company directly to the station requiring the standby.

Thread Information