MembersZone Subscriber

Default Arlington/Montgomery County

Arlington has a test this weekend and Montgomery's is coming up July 8th. Anyone have any department stats? Which department hires more per year? Pay? Experiences? Help is much appreciated as I can only apply for one right now.

Forum Member

I was told by a Montgomery County recruiting officer that they plan to hire 100 candidates per year for the next four years. According to their website, they employ approximately 1000 career firefighters and 1100 volunteers in 19 stations and run over 100,000 fire and ems alarms per year. I also believe that their application deadline for the July test has expired.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 06-22-2006 at 12:04 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I've signed up for both of these tests. In case you were wondering, the retirement for these departments looks like this:

Arlington: 25 yrs, 54% of pay
    Montgomery: 25 yrs, 60% of pay. Next year the option for 20 yrs & 50% of pay

Starting Salary:

Arlington: 43K
    Montgomery: 37K

Shift Work:

Arlington: 24on 24 off for 3 days worked then 4 day break
    Montgomery: 24/48 schedule

Also, with Arlington you are required to become certified as an EMT-Intermediate within a year or two of hire. I know a couple of guys who work for Montgomery and they love it.
    Last edited by mikeco5; 06-22-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Forum Member

It looks like Montgomery will be hireing more folks, so if you are lloking for the better odds of being hired....

Arlington is a much smaller department, so you will get to know most of the department pretty quick, but the size also means that promotion opportunities might be tight.

Both are GREAT departments.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I think I also heard Montgomery County's new contract has starting pay at 42k.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikeco5
    Yeah, I've signed up for both of these tests. In case you were wondering, the retirement for these departments looks like this:

Arlington: 25 yrs, 54% of pay
    Montgomery: 25 yrs, 60% of pay. Next year the option for 20 yrs & 50% of pay

Starting Salary:

Arlington: 43K
    [Montgomery: 37K]

Shift Work:

Arlington: 24on 24 off for 3 days worked then 4 day break
    [Montgomery: 24/48 schedule]

Also, with Arlington you are required to become certified as an EMT-Intermediate within a year or two of hire. [I know a couple of guys who work for Montgomery and they love it.]
    I work for Montgomery County Md Fire & Rescue and I see if I can help out with our system.

[Montgomery: 37K] Starting salary is $37,714 plus holiday(s) pay starting 7/9/06. EMT-P make an additional amount which I do not known the amout as I am not a EMT-P

[Montgomery: 24/48 schedule] We work the 24/48 schedule plus a kelly day every 21 days which gives you a 5 day break every 3 weeks.
    [B]

As of now, you are only required to become a Maryland EMT-B. Talk is that Montgomery is looking at requiring the Intermediate like most other local departments have now.

[I know a couple of guys who work for Montgomery and they love it.] I really enjoy working for the department. Many new and improved things happening now from ongoing hiring to the purchase of 30 plus new engines and many new trucks.
    the hiring process is lengthy and tough but well worth it. We have 32 firehouses plus 2 rescue/EMS houses. We are looking to open new firehouses plus upstaff the equipment not to mention anticipeted retirements. It is a very good place to work

We offer a good salary, great benefits, nice retirement, uniforms, training, and room for advancement. Good luck to those involved in the process.

Forum Member

lagerboy,
    What time do your shifts start and haw far of a drive do you have from Pennsylvania?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy
    I Montgomery: 37K] Starting salary is $37,714 plus holiday(s) pay starting 7/9/06. EMT-P make an additional amount which I do not known the amout as I am not a EMT-P

When I received a conditional job offer, ALS(Intermediate or Paramedic) added an additional 3,000 dollars onto your salary. You also receive an hourly differential for every hour spent on an ALS transport unit. This was the case as of last November.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515
    lagerboy,
    What time do your shifts start and haw far of a drive do you have from Pennsylvania?
    Firemedic515,
    Our shifts are from 7 AM to 7 AM. We have a gentlemens agreement where we can relieve, or be relieved 2 hours prior to our shift time. I always try to relieve someone by 6 AM, unfortunately my relief only gets to work at about 6:40 AM.

You can live in southern PA (Gettysburg, Hanover, Chambersburg PA areas) and have about an hour to hour and a half drive. I choose to live in Central PA and My drive is 2 to 2.5 hours depending on which firehouse I get detailed to.

You work 9 times per month so the drive for me isn't really a big deal other then the fuel costs.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Bob

Thread Information