Forum Member

Default minimum qualifications

question: are you're mq's set in stone. when you have a situation where the applicant pool for a promotion is small and weak. do you/can you modify the mq's to allow a bigger pool of applicants?? can you give me examples
    thanks

Forum Member

Our process is pretty flexible. A new system was implemented after a job placement company/consultant reviewed the qualities/characterstics necessary to be a good officer as determined by combination of input from current employees and the consultant's input. The system did not produce the desired results so certain aspects became flexible. Instead of having just a minimum score in any particular section of the process, there is a caveat that requires that a certain number of applicants are accepted at each step. For example, the minimum score on the written test is 80% to move on. However, at least "x" number of people must move on regardless of their score. The final decision is largely based on a review of the candidates' resumes by the chiefs.

While this aspect opens up the pool for competition, not having the minimum qualifications and testing process set in stone has strongly affected morale and cast a sometimes insurmountable doubt on the process and personnel promoted by the system. The idea of being able to choose the best candidate for the job is enviable but subjective. A solid civil service system based entirely on scores may not always produce the best candidates but it is objective.

Forum Member

thanks standpipe. would you happen to have a copy of a job description for a promotional position (ideally chief level) stating the mq's, requirements,education etc. so that i can get a better understanding of the flexibility allowed. would you mind telling me what department you are with. you can contact me at runnfasst@gmail.com
    thanks

Thread Information