MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladder comp responce-high rise bldgs

A officer on my dept has made the statement that our tower ladder should NOT respond on runs to a office complex in our town that consists of several bldgs ranging from 5 to 8 stories. He claims that there is NO use for a ladder truck at a office building, that only engine companies should respond.

MembersZone Subscriber

well here our ladder company is responsible for forcible entry and ventilation. You may need that at high rise.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

I'm guessing he never had to make a ladder rescue above 35'?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Forcible entry..search of fire floor..search of floor above..removal of victoms..ventilation..control of utilities..control of elevator..ground ladders for fire on 2nd, 3rd, 4th floor..tower for fires on 4th,5th,6th,7th floors..search for the seat of the fire in heavy smoke instead of dragging a line back and forth around cubicles..RIT crew..extra manpower to help fight the fire and staged for relief....the list goes on..he needs to expand his horizon.

...or fought a fire in a high rise Bones
    Last edited by len1582; 06-22-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Forum Member

If thats the general concensus of your department, then why did they waste taxpayer dollars to purchase it?

I am guessing that this is one persons opinion who will not open his eyes to its capabilities.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BHFF22
    A officer on my dept has made the statement that our tower ladder should NOT respond on runs to a office complex in our town that consists of several bldgs ranging from 5 to 8 stories. He claims that there is NO use for a ladder truck at a office building, that only engine companies should respond.
    What the frack!?

Manpower is manpower...it doesn't matter if they are hose jockeys or knuckle dragging truckies

Stay far away from this so called "officer"... he doesn't know jacksquat and will get someone killed.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    If thats the general concensus of your department, then why did they waste taxpayer dollars to purchase it?

I am guessing that this is one persons opinion who will not open his eyes to its capabilities.
    My guess is they had to purchase this truck because of insurance ratings, the problem is in the past 3 years the Dept has made huge progress in becoming a more progresive thinking dept, but there are still a few officers that for some reason think like this. He dosent beleive in preplaning either

Forum Member

My guess is they had to purchase this truck because of insurance ratings, the problem is in the past 3 years the Dept has made huge progress in becoming a more progresive thinking dept, but there are still a few officers that for some reason think like this. He dosent beleive in preplaning either
    He's an idiot!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Clearly this man is an ignorant fool who is a disgrace as a fire officer. Avoid him and his absurd reasoning(whatever it may be).

I suppose he as a wealth of experience with fires in 4-8 story office buildings? Also do your Engines have portable ladders that reach 100ft?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I'm guessing he's an "Officer" on an Engine Company. Of course, I wouldn't consider him much of an officer at all.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I think I know his cousins, they think ladder companies are only built FOR tall buildings and there is no need for them at anything under 35' tall. Ladder companies aren't all about the aerial, as the other guys said with vent, search, etc, etc.

Get thee to a Truckie Class!

Brian - Knuckledragger at Heart

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    He's an idiot!

I agree. Keep the ladder, get rid of the officer.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

This has to be a joke, or maybe the truck should just go to car fires so the guys can ride the bucket to the car and use the master stream to.

Ask this guy, next time it comes up, what alarms the truck should make?

Forum Member

Making statements like that makes you wonder what type of tactic & strategy decisions he makes on the fire grounds. He's still inside the box not thinking outside of the box. RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!.

OSD122

Not having a tower crew on a multiple story, commercial box is like wiping you butt before you poop. It just don't make sence.

The first alarm assignment for this box should have two truck companies.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!!

Quote Originally Posted by OSD122
    Not having a tower crew on a multiple story, commercial box is like wiping you butt before you poop. It just don't make sence.

The first alarm assignment for this box should have two truck companies.
    ABSOLUTELY!! It's a rare thing for me to criticize another Officer without knowing all the circumstances, but, if this is really the story, then it's time to thank this individual for his years of service as you accept his retirement papers. This is regardless of his wishes. I would also think that your department would reap very large benefits from REQUIRING certain training levels as a prerequsite for filling a position. We require National Pro Board Fire Officer I Certification for Captains and FO II for Chiefs at this time, but I expect to see it go up another notch in the future. As to those who complain that it takes too much time to take these courses, I am a Volunteer with a full time job and a family, but I have attained eleven Pro Board Certs, including FO IV, Instructor III and HazMat Tech. Full Time career Firefighters and Officers should not have a problem doing this, IF THE DEPARTMENT WANTS IT.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

i am curious to see why he thinks the ladder is better holding the apparatus room floor down then at the scene? just for an arguement. he must have been dropped on the delivery room floor when he came out huh.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    he must have been dropped on the delivery room floor when he came out huh.
    I'll bet his mother drank and smoked with him in the womb too!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

No ladders for a high-rise box? Hell, we send an additional ladder above our routine box assignment.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

O come on now. My mother drank and smoke while I was in the womb, lol, and I still say the officer has some problems.

Just for the record, I don't believe my mother did those things, but I guess you never know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me pick this apart a bit.

Highrise: >100'
    Lowrise: <100'
    75' Tower ladder effective range: about 70'
    5-8 stories building: 50-90'
    100' Aerial effective reach 10-12 stories/90'

Do with yoou like with the above information to make a case. Then explain to me if your Truck Company only drives the apparatus to the scene or do they perform other functions. I know many departments do not utilize "Truck Company" operations beyond the set up of an aerial device. The VES is handled by the Engine companies who operate much like our Squads do.

Even if that is the case. An area with the tallest buildings being only 5-8 stories should never consider excluding the use of an aerial device.

Forum Member

Thumbs up I Have a soluation

The problem is simple and then the officer will be correct. Do not build any building over three stories. Or better yet let the buildings that are over that height burn to a point that you can then control them without the use of the aerial.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!!............

Quote Originally Posted by johnson8
    O come on now. My mother drank and smoke while I was in the womb, lol, and I still say the officer has some problems.

Just for the record, I don't believe my mother did those things, but I guess you never know.
    Why wouldn't you know?? You were there.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Everybody's Got One

Everybody's Got One
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information