Forum Member

Default Emergency Management

I have a question about getting into emergency management. I am currently majoring in Geography which with my Law Enforcement/Fire/EMS background I would imagine would make me a pretty good candidate for Emergency Management, however I was wondering if there are any NFA classes or some other classes I should look into taking. I have taken NIMS 700 and will probably be taking the 200 class soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Visit FEMA's online training site here. They've got several good courses you can take self-study, including what they call the Professional Developement Series (PDS). You can also check with your states Emergency Management Agency for training classes. I know Missouri's SEMA has a web page full of classes throughout the state, including Advance PDS courses.

That should be a good place to start.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are plenty of courses to take and as luck would have it Uncle Sam is paying 100% for most of them. I just completed the ICS train the trainer on IS-100,200,300 and 400. These along with NIMS 700 and NIMS 800 will at least qualify you to work within the strucuture of a large scale incident under the "new" ICS. Basically, the Feds (DHS) want qualified persons to make up teams to respond to major incidents (natural disasters, WMD attacks, pandemics) and develop an organizational structure for longterm support of the mission. This is much like is done for large wildfires out west and was done for Katrina and 9-11. Evidentally there is money in this business, as your Uncle will pay dearly to make himself look good!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 38ffems
    I am currently majoring in Geography which with my Law Enforcement/Fire/EMS background I would imagine would make me a pretty good candidate for Emergency Management.....
    Not sure what kind of experience you have with all three of these areas but it doesn't sound like alot. Emergency Management is usually for the "seasoned" individual. You being born in 1983, not sure how much "seasoning" you have on you but I'm sure it's not what should be required. Book smart is one thing, street smart is another. Emergency Management people are supposed to be experienced in handling large scale incidents, planning for such, getting funding for training and equipment, and training your local governments for such an event.

You need to find a balance between the book smart and street smart before you apply. Otherwise you will be just another puffy suit foaming at the mouth not knowing what you are talking about. Not trying to discourage you but if you do go that route, please be experienced. The police/fire/ems people will be counting on you to do things right the first time. I say get some "seasoning" first in one or more of these fields for a few years then go after it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dickey; 06-22-2006 at 06:00 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    Basically, the Feds (DHS) want qualified persons to make up teams to respond to major incidents (natural disasters, WMD attacks, pandemics) and develop an organizational structure for longterm support of the mission. This is much like is done for large wildfires out west and was done for Katrina and 9-11. Evidentally there is money in this business, as your Uncle will pay dearly to make himself look good!
    The Feds already have these teams in place with their own wildland agencies, they have responded to the WTC, Pentagon, earthquakes, hurricanes etc, unfortunately DHS / FEMA want to reinvent the wheel so they can be in charge.

Forum Member

I have ICS 200, 700 done, I have taken leadership 1 through NFA, I have been a firefighter/EMT-B for about 4 1/2 years, deputy sheriff for about 2 1/2. I am HAZMAT Ops/Decon certified, CAMEO/ALOHA/MARPLOT certified, I am part of a national weather observation team, im a tech level HAM, water rescue training no cert though, tech rescue certification/class at the end of the summer, we have a nuke plant near here so have to train for that, and i am thinking now maybe i should do a internship next summer with state level emergency management. My chief has said next officer school that comes up i will be attending as well. The geography major covers enviromental stuff, population stuff, weather/climate stuff, remote sensing/aerial photography/satelite stuff, and mapping stuff. I say stuff because i just entered the major so i haven't taken classes yet and am not sure the depth of the material. I also have to minor and was thinking computer science since i have taken some CS classes. I have a bunch of other certifications but I dont think they would be relevant to emergency management.
    Last edited by 38ffems; 06-22-2006 at 08:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's great you have a good resume, that will come in handy one day.

I'm saying wait a while, get experience, get to know the operations and the people, and then go for it. Sounds like your on the right track.

Jsut remember, a fat resume will not be any good without practical experience. You are young. Concentrate on the experience part, you have the book smart now conecntrate on getting the street smart.

Good luck on that.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Ok, i guess time will benefit me at this point, i have about 2 1/2 to 3 years left of school so if i keep with all of the stuff im doing i would assume that I should be in good shape when i graduate?

MembersZone Subscriber

That should work out fine then. That is just more time on your fire department and more time on your Sheriff Dept. while your still in school. You are correct, time is your friend right now. The more time the better.

Sounds like your going in the right direction but just need some time and patience.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

There is an A.A.S. Emergency Prepardedness Technology degree offered through some of our local community colleges. It focuses on Emergency Management. Any interest in something like that? It is offered online.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

I have thought about that, and am thinking at this point I simply can't afford it. I am already thousands in the whole, at the same time i saw a certificate program from university of illinois chicago i believe. If i can get some tuition reimbursement from emergency management i will do it. I am going to take IS-300/400 course next i guess. I actually found an internship near me so hopefully next summer I can do that, I forgot I have an in at my states emergency management, in fact small state, i have like 2 people. I am sure that like was said before the more experience i get the better off i'll be. I have been at hazmats, just had a train derailment yesterday, no MCI yet, and some enviromental stuff like floods and such. I think im on the right track now, thanks for all the advice though, this is why firehouse is great!

Forum Member

I know all about being in the hole due to education, it sure isn't cheap! Those IS courses are pretty good. I had to take all the way up to 800 and a lot of what was covered in that degree was also touched on by those IS certs. Good luck with whatever you choose.. personally I'm not a huge fan of the Emergency Management stuff, but I sure am glad some people enjoy it.. it's very important these days.

Forum Member

FTM, one of those colleges is Wayne County Community College. A buddy of mine is fixing to enroll in that program.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Yep.. here is a list from FEMA which shows all the higher education places that offer EM Degrees (both B.S. and A.A.S.).

Thread Information