Forum Member

Default LifeJackets and Throw Bags

Looking for policy and procedures on when agencies require personnel to wear lifejackets, and when to use and when to use rope throw bags

Thanks

Forum Member

Life jackets - every time we are on the boat (unless it is at the dock) - As for the throw bags, dont think we have an SOP in place but I would assume when a person feels it is necessary....I know we use them for ice rescue mostly and from shore....

MembersZone Subscriber

Our policy is when in boats and 15 feet from the waters edge.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not really sure we have a policy either about throw bags, although I have mine attached to my PFD so I always have it near.

PFDs - similar to the above post. Depending on weather, terrain and whatever other factors, you never know when someone may slip and fall.

Forum Member

My services policy is lifejackets (self inflating), will be worn by any personnel working within 3 metres of water.

We carry 5 throw lines on the truck and they are "to hand" whenever a crew member is engaged in work near water. Basically as a safety feature you should have someone standingby with one in case a crew member goes in the drink.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

10' near the water and everytime you are in a boat.
    Also no turnouts anywhere near the water or in a boat.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

We have different types of PFDs in our Department. Not life jackets as the 2 are totally diffrent. Any how we use a rescue PFD that has a QRS and is used strickly used for rescue purpose only. The other PFD is a normal PFD used for the Engineer or any firefighter during drafting operations or any time they are near a water source and fall protection protocol.As for the throw bag we use a MARSARS second chance throw bag that is 75' and meets the nfpa standard. Choose your equipment as to what level of service your Department gives. Are you shore based or Go entry?? This info will make it easier to figure out the Equipment that is needed..
    Last edited by JAFA62; 07-08-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Forum Member

Each of our front line apparatus carry PFDs (Blue in color) and throw bags (yes, even our Buggies (ambulances).) SOP is vest on within 15' of the water's edge (no fire bunker gear on!!!!) And use the throw bags if you can see and reach the victim (after you have established back-up down the body of water.)

The other time you can use the throw bag is if you see a firefighter with a blue PFD in the water. Only our technical rescue team members are allowed in the water (we wear red and orange rescue type PFDs) and then you only throw a bag if they ask for one.

Forum Member

Dive rescue International or Rescue 3 can help you with sop's

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1670 Standards for RT has some guidelines you may want to review. You could also google search some of the FD's that do water resq. We have the option to wear pfd's when doing a shore based swim for distressed swimmer(s). When doing boat operations pfd's are always on as well as helmets, as for jet ski/rescue swimmer we wear pfd's and helmet is optional. We also swim with a rescue can.
    Mustang makes an inflatable pfd that is awesome (pricey too). Like previous posters -no turnout gear near the water.
    That being said we had a boat leaking fuel several days ago and were operating on a dock foaming the hull/interior. We had RIT as well as rescue swimmer with pfd/rescue can ready.
    In our RT surface water rescue tech class we had to tread water in full turnout/scba - not something I plan on doing again. I made it about 10 minutes. Without the scba it's difficult at best.
    Last edited by ShaversFork; 07-24-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Forum Member

Throw ropes:
    On all the boats (We have 3, soon to get a 4th), the rescue truck, every first-due engine, and any rig that is used to pull a boat (my station's tanker pulls my station's rescue boat) Each is about 100' I believe, not sure about the other houses.

PFDs:
    All personnel within 15 feet or so of shore must have a PFD on, as well as everyone on the boats. The boats have a few wearable PFDs as well as the required throw-style. We come up short on PFDs sometimes, depending on what apparatus roll to the call, so sometimes its just people on boats and directly on shore doing lookout, RIT, etc. PFDs aren't required for ice/coldwater rescue since our "Gumby Suits" are floatation devices. We're also looking into rescue cans, but all our drownings are near areas where lifeguards are present, so we can usually use theirs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaversFork
    In our RT surface water rescue tech class we had to tread water in full turnout/scba - not something I plan on doing again. I made it about 10 minutes. Without the scba it's difficult at best.
    Damn, sounds like FUN!

But then again, I tread water all day long as I have 4-5 hours of water polo a day. I've held bricks, cinder blocks, chairs, culligan jug's full of water, and pretty much anything else you can think of over my head.

PFD's are not usually a problem and we have an abundance.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information