Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lazy EMT's

Forum Member

Default Lazy EMT's

I already posted this in the woman in emergency services but thought I may get more of a response here since our station is all volunteers...

Morning all..I have a problem and am not too sure how to diplomatically go about fixing it, as I am blunt and to the point. We have an EMT at our station that is just plain lazy. If it is their duty night, as were all volunteers, they will "forget" to refill the clipboard with run sheets, check the oxygen or replace it, leave the rig dirty for the next person or duty crew to clean up, and lately, one will be there when a few of us come in from home for a call but say she can't go because she has to work in a few hours.

Okay, I know that you have a life, we all do. But the one who uses the last excuse won't even pull the rig out so we can save a few extra moments. Last time it was a diabetic emergency, we were the 5th station called, and when I role up, her vehicle's there, I run in and she is moseying around the ambulance just waking up. Gives me the excuse she has to work and I was like yea whatever and haul freight with my OIC. I found out that she has done this a few more times after I have politely told her that were a team, it would save us who come time, etc. So I wrote our asst. chief and added my email to her as he prefers we work problems out between each other before involving him.

Am I wrong to be so irritated? She has also, on calls, refused to listen to a few of us, has questioned our paramedics, and is just a P.I.T.A. She also dropped out of fire fighter class for some stupid reason, can't fit well into the turn out gear we got brand new that was measured to us, and just gets tiring to be around.

Any ideas or comments? Suggestions?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by A12MaBell
    I already posted this in the woman in emergency services but thought I may get more of a response here since our station is all volunteers...

Morning all..I have a problem and am not too sure how to diplomatically go about fixing it, as I am blunt and to the point. We have an EMT at our station that is just plain lazy. If it is their duty night, as were all volunteers, they will "forget" to refill the clipboard with run sheets, check the oxygen or replace it, leave the rig dirty for the next person or duty crew to clean up, and lately, one will be there when a few of us come in from home for a call but say she can't go because she has to work in a few hours.

Okay, I know that you have a life, we all do. But the one who uses the last excuse won't even pull the rig out so we can save a few extra moments. Last time it was a diabetic emergency, we were the 5th station called, and when I role up, her vehicle's there, I run in and she is moseying around the ambulance just waking up. Gives me the excuse she has to work and I was like yea whatever and haul freight with my OIC. I found out that she has done this a few more times after I have politely told her that were a team, it would save us who come time, etc. So I wrote our asst. chief and added my email to her as he prefers we work problems out between each other before involving him.

Am I wrong to be so irritated? She has also, on calls, refused to listen to a few of us, has questioned our paramedics, and is just a P.I.T.A. She also dropped out of fire fighter class for some stupid reason, can't fit well into the turn out gear we got brand new that was measured to us, and just gets tiring to be around.

Any ideas or comments? Suggestions?
    You definitely have a good reason to irritated. It also irritates those who are attempting a career in the EMT or Fire Service (myself included).

They are not even doing their typical job duties, and they should get in trouble for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW!!!
    I know and feel your pain! There are a few things you can do,most of which might seem extreme, so I'll keep the pulpit low, and a level head. I would say that most of what we do as Vol's is more than what we do when paid,that said I can respect the Chiefs decision to try to work it out in someway. BUT, sooner or later after trying all aspects of encouragement,praise,leading by example,you have to look at the root of the problem. Ask yourself if this person has had some sort of traumatic call where they might need a CISD,are they having maritial,money,drug,or personal problems? Are they BURNED OUT??? Was it more work for them in some way during class,and simply fell between the cracks where no-one noticed? Did they need to be mentored,and monitored and might be too afraid to ask for direction because they might feel STUPID???? Seek out the pattern,see where the root lies.
    And finally, maybe the Chiefs hands off approach isn't working and needs to show less Top-Dowisms and more Leadership skills. Just a thought,,,,,,,,
    Allen
    Fight Fire Aggressively,But Provide for SAFTEY First!!!!!!

The chief needs to step in and resolve this problem before it gets way out of hand.
    Last edited by dday05; 06-24-2006 at 09:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

From reading the post again, I really feel as if there is an underlying problem with this EMT. D-Day, I agree the chief needs to step up to this one..... Allen
    Fight Fire Aggressively,But Provide for SAFTEY First!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

Default Show 'Em The Door

If she isn't being a team player, and is not helping the department, then it may be best for everyone if she just goes. Tell her she isn't helping, and then ask why she joined in the first place. If she is decent with patient care, encourage her to step up and see what can be done mutually to benefit Mr and Mrs Resident, the ones expecting service. We have asked more than one person to leave that won't pull their weight. It's not a right to belong to the organization, it is a privilege. Do it tactfully though, there is no need to get into an argument and have hard feelings on either side.
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by achief15
    If she isn't being a team player, and is not helping the department, then it may be best for everyone if she just goes. Tell her she isn't helping, and then ask why she joined in the first place. If she is decent with patient care, encourage her to step up and see what can be done mutually to benefit Mr and Mrs Resident, the ones expecting service. We have asked more than one person to leave that won't pull their weight. It's not a right to belong to the organization, it is a privilege. Do it tactfully though, there is no need to get into an argument and have hard feelings on either side.
    My thoughts exactly, If they won't pull their own weight, they are just puting more work on those of you that do. As far as I would be concerned, they only get one of two choices. 1. Shape up, or @. Ship out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05
    The chief needs to step in and resolve this problem before it gets way out of hand.

Absolutley.....Some people join these organizations just for the title, or to be able to call them-selves EMTs and Firefighters.

Where I work and where I volunteer the rules are simple.....If you're in the building you're available period. None of this "Oh I have to work in a few hours..." or anything like that. Now there are exceptions to the rules as with any but not for horse sh** like this person is dishing out.

She 'ought to be warned, then fined, then suspended. I'm sure dedicated people would gladly take her place.

Forum Member

The volunteer service needs to review what a volunteer is, reflect on the laws that govern us, the need to be professional, the liability we volunteer for, and the inherent HR issue that are brought along with running a professional public service.

We volunteer to accept the requirements of being a voluntary professional public employee—paid or not. Our chain of command must run each house as a business and address HR issues as needed…

Good luck—a sad tail of events that occur in my house as well

The best option I think would be to have the chief intervene and tell her how its going to be and if she still is going to be complacent then show her the door. Maybe one day one of her things she forgets to do or is to lazy to do might get someone killed one day, then what? Well its too late then. If she cant be a team player then she is in a wrong profession where teamwork is needed to get everything accomplished. These days the excuse of well I am a volunteer you cant make me do anything, has to be relooked at because if your going to have the attitude then why are you even doing this job if your not willing to sacrifice for the people who need you. I mean your providing a public service and your not willing to help these people.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information