Forum Member

Default MS Front Page Help

Hello everyone ..........I have a couple of questions about this software.

1) I was able to place a Windows Media Player (WMP)video file on our website but when you look at it on the website it does not play the last approx. 10 sec or so. However the WMP says the whole 5:02 sec are there. Why doesnt it play it all ?

2) How can I make a page of thumbnails ? I am using the 2000version of this and have made every effort to follow what the MS FP Help thing says to no avail. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks again for anyones input, as you can see it is quite frustrating for me.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Got #2 figured out ..............number 1 is still a bugger.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Got a link to the page so we can take a look at the problem???

FH Mag/.com Contributor

WM Player gets the time of the video from the metadata in the file, not from the actual length of it.

I'm guessing it plays normally as a stand alone file on your computer?

There may be something in the HTML code that's holding it up, or it may be your web host. Try it with a different video and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then it's your file, it if does, then it's either the webhost or a setting that showed up because MS knows what you want so it sets things automatically. And I say that as a Microsoft software solutions developer. I've found oodles of quirks in their stuff, and things set the way they shouldn't be by default. Details.

Forum Member

Dal www.rossfordfire.com .........right on top Brian thanks for the info .........
    Last edited by Weruj1; 06-25-2006 at 01:49 AM.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

How did this file play before it was uploaded to the server? What software was used to create the file, Windows Movie Maker? My guess is that it has something to do with the file itself, not the server.
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Memphis Fire Fighters Association
    IAFF Local 1784
    www.iaff1784.org
    www.memphisfirescanner.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1

2) How can I make a page of thumbnails ? I am using the 2000version of this and have made every effort to follow what the MS FP Help thing says to no avail. What am I doing wrong ?
    Do you have Adobe Photoshop??? It has a pretty awsome web gallery tool.
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Memphis Fire Fighters Association
    IAFF Local 1784
    www.iaff1784.org
    www.memphisfirescanner.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yours is a 640x480 screen size, 1141kbps/16 bit audio, 1000kbps/24 bit video and supposed to be 5 minutes long but only plays about half.

Another video clip I've got is also a 16MB file, but is a 320x240 screen size, 230kbps/16bit audio, 189 kbps/24 bit video, and is 10 minutes long.

Based on that you're missing about half the file. It should be at least 32MB in size at that resolution and sampling rate. Have whoever made it check to see what the file size is on the computer that they used to create it, and if it is 16MB there see if it plays completely with Windows Media Player on the machine that they created it on.

Nerds: everyone should have one.

Forum Member

Dies at 3 minutes, 30 seconds for me...

IE, Firefox, Windows Media Player, or RealPlayer.

And I can't get the f'ing tune out of my head now

I'm thinking like BC79er...something was lost between his computer and yours...

Forum Member

I uploaded it right from a CD with the file on it , yes it was made with Windows Movie Maker. The whole thing plays when you watch it off line .......It appears that somewhere somethin got hosed up ........I thought it was a great effort for a 16 y/o explorer. Again I appreciate everyones assitance in this matter. File size is 23.8 MB......
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

It's only showing up as 15.7MB at the web site.

I think because stuff like this is supposed to be able to "stream," it doesn't care that the end of the file is hosed. (Word or a PDF or something like that would gack right away if it couldn't find the end-of-file marker...)

Try uploading it again -- my guess is the upload got hosed and didn't put the whole file on line, if it works off CD...

Forum Member

Intresting to note, when I saved it to my desktop, it still stoped at the same point.

MembersZone Subscriber

The file is Way too big for your needs. Reformat the Video to 320x240 and you audio is also a hog at 1141kbps/16 bit audio. Knock it back to 230kbps/16bit audio.

This should reduce your file size to below 20Meg and run full length.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    The file is Way too big for your needs. Reformat the Video to 320x240 and you audio is also a hog at 1141kbps/16 bit audio. Knock it back to 230kbps/16bit audio.

This should reduce your file size to below 20Meg and run full length.
    uhmmmmmmmmmmm Artie ...........how do I do that ?
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

holy crap ..........I am still not done with question #2 ............I have a MS IE page done with thumbnail images...........however when I go to add them to the site the page comes up with no images. And when I say the page comes up it says it is done and does not display. I did copy the thumbnails from the MS FP to the websire like doing any update but this one didnt work. Do I need to put in the regular sized images too besides the thumbs ? Man I hate feeling like a goof...........
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

FH Mag/.com Contributor

[quote]I'm thinking like BC79er...[/quote}

Don't say that, they'll come to take you away. Ha Ha Ho Ho He He Where life is.... Showing the age there.

Does the thumbnail page come up with the outline of a picture with the red X in the top left corner? If it does, it's missing the image file. If you right click on it and select properties it will tell you which file it is not finding. If it says C:\ something then FP put in the absolute path of the file. You want the relative which would be something like ..\pics\pic1.jpg and so on. I can't remember all of the quirks with FP 2000, I moved on to FP XP right after that and been cruising on FP 2003 since it came out to us nerds to play with in 2002.

If the file on CD is 23.8 MB then it didn't completely load to the web server, only 15.7MB of it did as I guessed before.

Whatever he used to create it should be able to do what Artie said, unless he has a really simple (cheap) software package that won't let him change settings on the output file.

Forum Member

MS front page is an ok program, if you have access to a more advanced program you can do the thumbnails thing much faster/easier. As far as the video, who ever created it should be able to easily back the resolution and audio down.

Forum Member

by the way, great site

Forum Member

Good morning people ........I hope this is the last time I need to bug you all but this thumbnail thing .............GRRRRRRRRR .............this am I have them up on the site (www.rossfordfire.com) but they do not get bigger when the are clicked on. Do I need to also keep the images before I shrank them down in the website folder ?
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The thumbnails don't have any links on them. On the thumbnail page right click and pick Hyerlink. If you want just the pic to show up, pick file on the left and then the name of the pic file. They'll need to be uploaded to the server also, in the right path, same as the other files you're linking too.

Forum Member

thanks to everyone who has particpated in this ............however due to whatever it is the thumbnails have gotten the better of me and I scrapped the whole mess as after 4 days and too much grief they apparently NOT meant to be on our website. I have requested a copy of MS FP 2003 from the Chief and we shall see if that is any easier.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information