MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hammond test impressions

so the Hammond test... I wonder if the creator of the Hammond test had ever heard of spell check? Oddly enough during the grammar portion of the test I found more spelling, grammar, and context errors then could be found on a 10 y/o's report on Autonomic dysreflexia (or this post for that matter).

Talking about a potentional law suit? I canít believe that a city of Hammondís size would be using their own test. With all the litigation these days you would think they would contract out the testing process?

I feel confident that I did well however, I was just wondering if any others wanted to share their impressions about the test?

In the 8am test there were only about 25 people. any idea how many other test were given during the day?

Forum Member

Cmon man, its HAMMOND, not South Bend, or Indy!!!

All kidding aside, I hope you did well, they are actually not to bad a department. Do you know Ron Reed??
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default sorry

never heard of mr reed. i recently moved to NWI so my social circle is has been limited to a few of my GF friends.

all and all i really like it here though. I miss the snow and my mountains but i think that lake michigan is going to be a nice change.

Youir right hammond is a good department. I was just in a little shock after taking that test. I also tested in south bend, chicago (along with the rest of the world), various wetern, nothern and southern chicago burbs. and the Valpo test is next. i would really like to stay in NW indiana though.

and places i should avoid or seriously think about up here?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know a few guys in Hammond. I was on Hobart for 12 yrs before I moved.

My understanding of the whole testing process to get on Hammond is about who you know and/or if you are a paramedic. They are not Civil Service or Merit Board, at the last time I knew. They give their own test or buy a guy who is retired from there.

They are a bunch of good guys...good firemen too. A guy from Hobart went to hammond and he loves it.

I almost put my ap in a couple years ago. The only thing that stopped me was their promotion process. Strictly senority...no test, no interview...if you are the senior private on the whole dept then you are next up for driver....senior most driver gets Lt. and so on.

So if you wanna get on...get chummy w/somebody on the job there that has some pull.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1835Wayne
    Cmon man, its HAMMOND, not South Bend, or Indy!!!

All kidding aside, I hope you did well, they are actually not to bad a department. Do you know Ron Reed??
    What does Ron Reed or Ron Reed Jr. have to do with the Hammond Fire Department? Ron senior works for Merriville EMS and part time for South Haven, and Ron reed Jr. his son works full time for South Haven.

Zeman is that you?
    Last edited by Chief2701; 07-17-2006 at 04:13 PM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Dougy! What's up in the 'Haven?

Forum Member

Hey Bob

How's things with you? I ran into some St. Louis firefighters at FDIC in the vendor area, was hoping to see you. Things at the "Haven" are alittle hectic along with building the new fire station, Ive just implemented "Cross Staffing" and preparing the department for the move to "oncall" this fall. In a nutshell were busy and hopefully making a differance. Stay in touch if you get back to the region give me a call. gotta run (finish packing)I'm leaving for Emmittsburg this weekend to participate on the peer review for the SAFER grants.

Stay Low Stay Safe
    Last edited by Chief2701; 07-18-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to hear from you Doug,

Things are going good. hard to believe I've been gone from "Planet Hobart" almost a year! I didn't make it to FDIC this year, hope to be there next year.

I work in the downtown district. Not a whole lot of fire, but I have made it to a few 3 and 4 Alarm fires. We got a couple torches running around the city, so things are hoppin.

Sounds like you got your hands full up there. I'd like to check out the firehouse when it's done. Good luck w/all that.

I'm sure I'll be back up to vist. At the very least.....every April 13th.

I need to get goping too. Have fun it Emmitsburg. Have one for me at the Ott House!

Stay Safe...

Thread Information