MembersZone Subscriber

Default Psychological Examination

I was wondering what the pre-employment Psychological test consist of, and if I need to prepare for anything any comments would help.

Thank You,
    Ryan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Psyc

Yoronn83

Psychological tests vary from place to place but they are nomally pretty similar in the overall test. Normally there is a written test that you have to fill out multiple guess. The questions vary from really out there to some that are pretty interesting. Nothing you should be worried about if you are a sane indivdual. You need to think about what you are answering and how it would look if you choose an answer.
    I know alot of people who have taken PSYC tests and failed because they were 100% honest.
    Example. A college kid goes and takes an FD psyc and they have tons of questions on their about drinking habbits and parting habbits. And the kid answers honestly and fails. In college drinking more than 10 beers in a night is not uncommon but you have to think about what that translates to the person looking at the test. He does not take in to consideration that the canidate was in college and lets it slide he just sees that the canidate drinks more than 10 beers in a day in a week.

So you should really just think before you answer. And there will be alot of question on the test. Hundreds normally and many of them will be similar question so make sure you dont answer one, one way and another differently. They look for discrepencies like this in your test and also look for red flags like drinks 10 beers a day.

Sometime durring the test you will most likely sit down with a psychologist and he will ask you questions about your life. DON'T GIVE MORE INFORMATION THAN HE ASKS!!! If he asks if you are married say yes dont go into anything about your marrage unless he asks. This is important because many people get loose lips and give to much info when it was never asked. Dont be blunt but dont tell of your college parties if he asks if you go out on the weekends! Just say ya I go out with my friends and hang out maybe get some food and a drink.

Hope that helps you. If you have any other questions feel free to write back!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Default Psych Test

Savy advice from Ant 195

Unfortunately, up to forty percent of candidates are not passing the psyche test! Imagine after all the education, experience and time preparing to get this job . . . and you're eliminated. Then no one will talk to you to find out what happened. I've talked to too many candidates who were devastated and didn't know what to do next. This is a critical part of the testing process you need to prepare for and pass the first time out.

A candidate wrote in a previous posting:

Im not one of those people that have alot to hide so Im not worried about being called psycho because I already know that. Thanks anyway Ill just take my chances!

I can't tell you how many times I heard that statement and got a call back asking what do I do now after they failed.

You have been testing for three, five, or seven years to get a firefighter job. You are finally in the hiring process. Youíve made it through the background check. Then, youíre conditionally offered the job pending the medical which includes a psychological test. You take the test, no big deal right? Then the phone stops ringing. You are out of the process. You are told that you didnít meet the profile. What profile?

What do you mean I didnít meet the profile? Iíve got training, experience, education, every degree, certificate, merit badge, and a paramedic certification. Iíve been a volunteer, paid member of another department for 10 years, and lived and breathed this job. And, I donít meet the profile?
    More agencies are using this test as part of the process.

Too many candidates want this job so bad that they will do almost anything to get it. I have been told what candidates have said during their psych interviews. Iíve asked, ďHow did you get these people to say that?Ē The answer was, they just volunteered the information. Like Ant 195 stated, before you volunteer information, think before you speak. Present your ideas clearly. Donít ramble or chat. Be articulate. This is how youíre going to be in the field. Believe it or not this is part of the job interview. You are making an impression of who you are going to be as a firefighter. Make sure you dress up and donít slouch. Be prepared to audition for the part of being a firefighter. Know your strong points. Be prepared to demonstrate you are a team player.

You can get some insight on how the written test is scored here: http://www.bigdeadplace.com/psyche_eval.html

Here is a link to a book with the entire MMPI 2 exam in the appendix and most of the relevant scales.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...glance&n=283155

More on the pscyh here: http://eatstress.com/psych.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't need to buy anything to pass a psych test. Especially from people who do not advocate telling the truth.

The psych test (I have passed every one I have ever taken-3) is not a test to see if you have a mental illness. It is a test to see if you have the proper mental mindset to be a fire fighter or a cop on the street and in the station-not in a controlled, rehearsed interview.

Why do they ask a couple of hundred questions? To find out if you are consistent. Why do they want you to draw a picture of a tree or a house? To see if you are detail oriented-even with the most menial of tasks.

I actually had one exam where the psychologist told me that he was leaving the office for awhile and that I would be the only one there. I know that he was most likely watching from another room to see how I reacted.

During the one-on-one interview, that psychologist is not looking to fail you. Despite what some people say, the FD or PD is paying good money to have you there. They sent you there because they have already checked your background and believe that you are a good candidate. This is the last step. They WANT you to pass and so does the psychologist.

During the one-on-one interview, the interviewer is looking to find out how you spontaneously handle yourself. He also wants to see how you react under pressure-hence the questions about past behavior, your marriage, etc. There was one psychologist who would actually pull a (fake) weapon on the candidate to see what he would do. (Obviously, he did not do this with transfer applicants who may be carrying).

If you got past the background and the testing, you are not going to fail the psych UNLESS you make yourself fail. I agree with not volunteering information, but always, always, always tell the truth. Always. I know one kid who went all the way to the psych and tried to convince the psychologist that he had NEVER had a drink. NEVER. This is after he had already answered this question truthfully during the interview process and had, in reality, been out drinking with members of the department on a fairly regular basis.

Remember, if you lie about the little things, there is no reason to trust that you will not lie when something big comes along.

REMEMBER: You don't need to buy anybody's books,tapes or gimmicks to pass this test.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]You don't need to buy anything to pass a psych test. Especially from people who do not advocate telling the truth.

Well said

Forum Member

Default Be Prepared

After you have jumped through all the flaming hoops you donít want to be caught flat-footed for the remaining steps in the hiring process. Itís 3rd down and 2 yards to go for the badge. You want to convert. You want to convert every step of this process the first time through the line, or you could be thrown for a loss, thrown in the penalty box, out of the game, and trying to fight your way back in.

You can spin this anyway you want. But ask yourself if you would you show up without preparing for the written? Not in shape for the physical agility? Have you discovered you just canít wing the oral? Then, why doesnít it make since to prepare for the remaining portions of the hiring process, the background, psych, poly and medical?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

1. I passed three psych tests w/o ever having purchased one prep item.

2. There are literally thousands of fire fighters who passed their psych test w/o ever having purchased one prep item.

3. I NEVER said don't prepare. Of course you would prepare. But you can prepare w/o spending your money.

4. ALWAYS tell the truth.

Thread Information