MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help please from the computer experts out there

I finally decided I was fed up with AOL and dial-up and have ordered my DSL. I have my kit from AT & T to install the DSL at home, but to hook it up to my laptop, I need an ethernet card and when I went looking I am confused. The kit came with the external modem and the cables etc. So can anyone clue me in as to what I need to buy?? This is one of the places I found that sells ethernet cards. I don't need to hook up to a network just my home computer which has Windows XP.

www.dlink.com

Thanks for any help you can provide. Dinner is on me when I get this working.

Forum Member

Cheffie...

If you have a machine new enough to run XP, most likely you already have a built-in network card.

Look for what resembles and oversized phone plug:

That's the ethernet networking port.

You'll need an ethernet patch cable to go between the DSL modem and the laptop...probably came with a short one.

The DSL modem or AT&T should give you some basic directions how to configure it then...

MembersZone Subscriber

Cheffie,
    I just got DSL to replace my dial-up. Mine wasn't AT&T, but I think it's the same. There should be instructions and all the cables needed. Mine came with a red cable (phone jack to modem), a yellow one (modem to computer ethernet), and a blue one (USB, modem to computer). Not sure if those are standard colors. I didn't need the blue one because my computer had an ethernet, but there were instructions on what to do if yours didn't. You shouldn't have to buy anything extra. I'm looking for my instruction sheet. I'll post again when I find it.
    P.S. You are going to LOVE DSL compared to dial-up!!!!
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

You should only need what basically looks like a oversized telephone cord. Your computer whould come with one built in but should yours not contain one don't worry, they are cheap and very easy to install. http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=27
    These will all work, to install basically you take the shell off of you computer and and insert it into a PCI slot in the back. Remember to check to see if you have a built in port before buying a new card. Try before you pry!

Forum Member

Except if she has a laptop, so doesn't have a PCI slot. She would need a PCMCIA card...but let's see if she has the ethernet port first before we go down that road

(And yes, there's a handful of laptops that have PCI, but you'd know what you're doing if you have one of those big buggers!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure I don't have the ethernet port on my computer. I'll double check when I get home. The AT & T kit came with the cables ( and yes they are way too short). and the modem. I cannot wait to get rid of AOL dial-up.

be back tonight when I can verify what I have.

Forum Member

Just to confuse matters, Cheffie can always go wireless for her laptop. I did that recently, as both daughters have laptops and it is easier then having cables strung thru-out the house. Hooking up the wireless router took me just a few minutes and they were online shortly after that.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Cheffie-
    If you don't have a built in ethernet connection, it's quite simple to install a PCMCIA Ethernet card . The PCMCIA slots are usually located on the side of the computer. You can pick a card up and any best buy, staples, circuit city, etc...Your best bet would be to bring the laptop with you, to show them first hand. You can also get from Radio SHack (shudder...I try not to go there...) a USB to ethernet adaptor , but that would be a last resort.
    Last edited by LeuitEFDems; 06-26-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Adding hyperlinks
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

mmmmm, imagining cheffie going wireless! (Ok, not the same, but...)

Anyway, funny thing about wireless...you need a wired connection to configure the damn thing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    mmmmm, imagining cheffie going wireless! (Ok, not the same, but...)

Anyway, funny thing about wireless...you need a wired connection to configure the damn thing.

We went high speed last year with cable and a couple months ago, I got the wireless router. easy hookup. line into cable modem, line from modem to router, line from router to PC. took me about 3 minutes to run the lines, then just a few more minutes to setup the laptops. 1 has built in wireless adaptor, other one, I needed to get a wireless card for it.

Tanker

Gunny Ermey

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking going wireless

Well Dal, you were right. I do have one. I thought it was for something else. However given that I don't want these long cables going from my laptop to the phone jack which is on the opposite side of the room and I can't move my furniture around so my table is by my phone jack ( I have a very small overpriced studio, but it is rent-controlled so I stay!). I am going to call AT & T back tomorrow and exchange this one for a wireless modem. The kit itself is easy to understand so hopefully I won't need anything else with the wireless modem.

Let's see dinner for Dal, Leuit, Tanker, Bones, 38ff, ffemt,
    Last edited by superchef; 06-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chef - I have the AT&T and I went wireless with my laptop. When I got my DSL, I went with the more expensive modem which includes home networking and I bought a wireless USB adaptor for my desktop and my laptop(it is older so the wireless was not built in).
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Cheffie, don't forget to set up the access security on the wireless router. There are several levels, from wide open, MAC addressing, and keys. You don't want it wide open because anyone walking by with a wireless device will be able to find your router and connect. If you don't have the computer locked down they can snoop it. Same with other people in the building.

I hit CompUSA at midnight over Thanksgiving last year and snagged a router and 2 PCMCIA cards for both mine and wife's laptops for $3 each after rebate. I haven't looked back, and other than the desktop sitting next to it I doubt I'll ever use a wired connection again. Since I have the wireless LAN in the PDA also I can check my email with that from anywhere in the house instead of booting up one of the computers.

And for the uber-nerds like myself, add a network print server. I hooked that onto the router and now I can print from either of the laptops to the color laser instead of having to email to myself, or use the flashdrive to go between laptop and desktop. Got Nerd?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by superchef

Let's see dinner for Dal, Leuit, Tanker, Bones, 38ff, ffemt,

Cheffie, are you gonna make me drool all over my keyboard again?

Tanker

Gunny Ermey

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Cheffie, don't forget to set up the access security on the wireless router. There are several levels, from wide open, MAC addressing, and keys. You don't want it wide open because anyone walking by with a wireless device will be able to find your router and connect. If you don't have the computer locked down they can snoop it. Same with other people in the building.

I hit CompUSA at midnight over Thanksgiving last year and snagged a router and 2 PCMCIA cards for both mine and wife's laptops for $3 each after rebate. I haven't looked back, and other than the desktop sitting next to it I doubt I'll ever use a wired connection again. Since I have the wireless LAN in the PDA also I can check my email with that from anywhere in the house instead of booting up one of the computers.

And for the uber-nerds like myself, add a network print server. I hooked that onto the router and now I can print from either of the laptops to the color laser instead of having to email to myself, or use the flashdrive to go between laptop and desktop. Got Nerd?

I never even thought of that. Thank you. You are on the dinner list. The swordfish in Whole Foods has been quite good lately..
    I ordered the kit today so I should have it by Friday, It comes from Texas you know.... (the DSL kit not the swordfish! )

Taker give me a minute or two I'll see what I san do...
    Last edited by superchef; 06-27-2006 at 04:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking for Tanker-

Lime and Lemongrass Chicken

serves 4

zest & juice of 2 limes
    6 1/4" piece of lemon grass, trimmed and roughly chopped
    2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
    2 large red chilis, seeded
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 tbsp olive oil
    mixed baby greens
    chopped cilantro
    2 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Using food processor or mortar and pestle, grind lime zest, lemon grass, garlic, ginger, chili, & soy sauce into smooth paste.

Rub paste all over chicken breasts and put them in deep baking dish. drizzle with olive oil and lime juice, season with salt and cover with foil. Bake for about 20 minutes. Check to see if chicken is done. If still pink, cook a few minutes more.

remove chicken from oven and let cool. Thinly slice chicken. Toss salad greens and corinader and divide betwen plates. Top with chopped peanuts and sliced chicken. drizzle with pan juice.

Eat

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Ah yes, Whole Foods. Land of good stuff that's supposed to be helping me look LESS like the Michelin Man's Stunt Double. Not working yet, although I guess I ought to be avoiding the good beer selection.

Thread Information