MembersZone Subscriber

Default trying to get hired

Does anyone have any tips on getting hired onto Department of Navy fire? I'm transitioning from active duty to civilian early next year and am trying to get my foot in the door. I've completed the online resume and would like to know if there is anything else I can do to pursue the stations I would like to work for.

Forum Member

Talk to the departments you are interested in, a visit or even a phone call can go along way if they think you will be a good asset to the department. The Chief in most Department of Defense fire departments has alot of flexibility when making a selection, much more than most city departments. Typically the list the chief gets is just rated as qualified or best qualified (unqualified doesn't make the list), they are usually not rated 1,2,3 etc so its not a matter of picking #1 on the list, it is picking 1 out of 5 or 10 (or 20 if its a good list) equally rated people.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say start applying now!!! If you have a year left it will probably take a year to get the job. I don't know about the Navy too much, but the Air Force was slow. I started applying a year out and I got a couple of jobs about a month before I got out. I would also say if your in good with your Chief now use him a an asset. See if he'll call them up and put in a good word for you. Good luck

Forum Member

I agree, start applying now! And make sure to mark all areas of interested in the online application. Certain Navy bases are in higher demand than others, so you may want to think about having to move. Just remember, once you start as a GS, you can then move to other bases, so you don't have to be stuck at someplace you might not like forever.
    Make sure you have all of your certs too. They are required, no way around it.
    Go to the bases that interest you, and meet the chiefs; face time is always a plus! That way when the chief gets a list of 30-some folks, he/she will remember you!
    Get your EMT! Most bases now won't even look too hard at you w/out it.
    I know of a few Navy bases that are ALWAYS looking for firefighters, so if you need help/info let me know. I've worked for over 11 years on the Navy side, both on the floor and as management.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fedvvfac,

I could really use your help! More problem is this, I am currently a flight deck Fire Fighter aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt and I have been deployed in the Persian Gulf under a year give or take. I am now about 8 months out from the end of my enlistment. I am scrambling to get these quals before I get out but it is darn near impossible. I am signed up to take EMT-B in october but Fire I and II might be a problem due to my obligation to the Navy. As it is right now I am having to use up all of my leave just to take the EMT course. My Wife and daughter have been willing to move anywhere in the USA to allow me to chase this dream, so any suggestions or tips for Departments hiring entry level Firefighters would be greatly appriciated. Thank you for your quick response.

MembersZone Subscriber

lebeck, you may need to look at other branches as well. I know that a fwe Army bases and maybe even Navy bases will hire "off the street" as a GS-4 or 5. Then once you get your certs, and complete the other necessary steps you can be upgraded/promoted. We (where I am full time) are in the process of picking up 8 FF/EMT's at the GS-5/7 grade.

Good luck to you with your career choices.

I was on the T.R from Jan 94 - Oct 94 as a Damage Controlman.

Feel free to contact me for any additional information. I am always available to answer any questions as much as possible

Forum Member

lebeck,

OK. I assume you are heck-bent on getting out? As I am reading what you write, I understand you don't have your 7012NEC. If you reenlisted or possibly extended, maybe you could ask your detailer to get you the school. You would get all of your certifications that way, plus get assigned to shore duty as a firefighter somewhere (CONUS or OCONUS). No more "Haze-Grey & Underway". My last Navy base was across the pond and we had 7012's there, with family and everything. Not bad duty for them.
    Next option is to talk to your education folks and enroll in career development courses. They are free and offered through the USAF. The career code is 3EX (something). Almost all of them come in CD-ROM versions. The main problem will be where to get your practical testing out of the way-it has to be done at a verified fire department with qualified proctors.
    Most bases (and I can't say all) won't hire GS-3 or 4 any more. They are required by law to hire certifed and to be honest, there are A LOT of ex-military with certs lining up for jobs. But if angfire has better info, please use it! Just remember GS-3 or 4 is little money to be sure (30-35k per year). You probably make more now on active duty than they make, and they have to pay for their own medical insurance, housing, ...
    Next option might be to use your GI bill when you get out to go to an academy. You do have the GI bill right? Many community colleges have firefighter programs. Just make sure whatever program you choose is either IFSAC or Pro-Board accredited so you can roll them over to DOD certs.
    If you need more help, let me know! I will be happy to assist in any way possible.

Forum Member

NOB Norfolk is gonna be taking on a few more people here in a few weeks..you are already in the area...hope you are applying

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fedvvac

Can you email me, so I can get some info about DoD in South Texas.

Thanks,
    TonyBlaze

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FEDVVFAC
    Next option might be to use your GI bill when you get out to go to an academy. You do have the GI bill right? Many community colleges have firefighter programs. Just make sure whatever program you choose is either IFSAC or Pro-Board accredited so you can roll them over to DOD certs.
    If you need more help, let me know! I will be happy to assist in any way possible.
    You can also use your GI BIll for On the Job Training. You can get your $$ tax free the entire time your a GS-3/4 up until you reach your target grade. It's starts at about $800 a month, then drops, with the low being like $475 a month. Can't beat that!!

Forum Member

Navy Region Mid Atlantic is hiring again soon. We are short people right now..we jsut took on 15 and are opening up the process again for more firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by angfireman View Post
    I was on the T.R from Jan 94 - Oct 94 as a Damage Controlman.

Feel free to contact me for any additional information. I am always available to answer any questions as much as possible
    I am currently a DC2 on the USS Nashville (LPD-13), i am set to get out in December of 07 and am looking into getting hired on as a paid structural FF in the Denver Metro area of Colorado.

i know first that i need to recert. my EMT and finish off my degree, but was wondering what else i can take advantage of while i am still in.....

seeing as how you have already made the transition i am getting ready to undergo, any advice is greatly appreciated.

also, how much do civilian depts care about certs, quals, FF schools and all the training rec'd in the Navy?????

thanks for the help!

Forum Member

Do not be afraid to take a temp or term position, if you have no other offers. They tend to be less competive and Chiefs can convert them to Permanent spots. My first job was at Navy Base Newport as a GS4 Term, and I loved it. I now work at AF Plant 42 and credit my DOD time for landing me the job. Also, you may find that some Navy bases are trying to reduce manpower and looking to lay people off. This actually could be a good thing, because you would get priority placement and I think you can pick the base you want, provided there are openings. I bring this up because I believe any base that has a threat of laying people off will more than likely be less competitive.

LASTLY, make your resume as long and detailed as possible. It goes thru a computer system called resimex and you need to score enough points to make the highly qualified list. If you do, you should be in the top 30. Go see the Chief and visit the stations. Your 4 years in the military will be a huge help as well.

Good luck

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

thanks for the info. sorry i am a little late on the thank you.

i just found that an airforce base in near my hometown will be hiring, from a gov't job search engine. The site contains no links and tries to get you to pay and subscribe and all of that nonsense... Is there a better way to get my foot in the door, dont really want to pay for the site membership if it turns out to be garbage. so i guess i am asking..."whats the application process for a DOD fire dept. like? and how can i bypass the federaljobsearch.com membership to apply for these types of departments?

also if i get out of the navy in late November, is now too early to start applying??

thanks again for taking the time!!!

Forum Member

go to usajobs.com click on search by series and enter series # 0081, this is fire fighter. It will give you a list of current and always running announcements throughout DOD.

Forum Member

Move to California and take a job with either NAS Lemore or China Lake. Both have many GS 4 openings. Get hired, get your DOD certs and then apply closer to home. Its all about sacrifice and biting the bullet. When you put your time in and move far from home, the Chiefs see it and are impressed. They want to hire guys who truelly will go any distance to be a firefighter. In other words, if its in the USA, GS 3 or 4 and under the 0081 series, APPLY FOR IT!!!

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks a ton!!!
    Been hitting that site up daily, not sure if my wife is down to move to california, but there are some openings closer to home. I started working on my resume and i am just wondering what sort of quals and certs that resumex looks for. i have a huge stack of firefighting schools, awards, qualifications and certifications from the navy i earned/ attended and my firefighter journeymans cert. from the dept. of labor. It is very time consuming entering all of them in. Is it possible to make my resume (for DOD depts.) too long. i am also wondering how many of my quals and certs from the navy will hold water???? Kind of wish i would have gone to the Air Force, i hear there quals/ certs transfer over, oh well too late for that now. Sorry for picking at all of your brains so much, i am sure you could once relate to all of this.. but thank you all for your time and help.

Forum Member

If your resume is too long, it will tell you automatically before you can send it. Also, when you list your certs and training, YOU MUST put the number of hours for each. I was told by my Chief that many applicants fail to do so, and lose points. Lastly, when you type out your job duties for your previous employment section, copy and paste into word document, and then do a spell check. FRom there copy and paste back into your online resume. Basically, find a way to do a spell check as it does make a huge difference.

Send me your email and I can send you my navy resume.

Kev

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    Move to California and take a job with either NAS Lemore or China Lake. Both have many GS 4 openings. Get hired, get your DOD certs and then apply closer to home. Its all about sacrifice and biting the bullet. When you put your time in and move far from home, the Chiefs see it and are impressed. They want to hire guys who truelly will go any distance to be a firefighter. In other words, if its in the USA, GS 3 or 4 and under the 0081 series, APPLY FOR IT!!!

Kev
    arff42, can you give me any more info on china lake or lamore? I'm from california and would really love getting a job there. I have about a year left in the Air Force, and have all my certs up to my one's done, plus EMT, hazmat tech, and rescue tech. I really want to start looking now so I'm not lost without a clue when I do get out. Thanks

Forum Member

Default China Lake and Lemore Fire

Hi 5150:

go to usajobs.com and do a series search. In the series box, type in 0081 (firefighter code) and hit enter. Both Lemore and China Lake will come up and you can click on both to apply. You will get step by step instructions on how to do your resume and submit it.

Also, do you have your ARFF? If so, please send me a personel email. Plant 42 will be hiring in Aug. or Sept. 2007. If you are interested in interviewing I can be a big help.

Kev

ylengine210@yahoo.com
    Last edited by arff42; 05-14-2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: forgot to give my email

Forum Member

Hi 5150:

go to usajobs.com and do a series search. In the series box, type in 0081 (firefighter code) and hit enter. Both Lemore and China Lake will come up and you can click on both to apply. You will get step by step instructions on how to do your resume and submit it.

Also, do you have your ARFF? If so, please send me a personel email. Plant 42 will be hiring in Aug. or Sept. 2007. If you are interested in interviewing I can be a big help.

Kev

ylengine210@yahoo.com
    email sent!

Forum Member

5150:

For whatever reason, I cannot check my email at work. I will be home this Wednesday, unless I get forced for OT. Anyways, I am hoping you have your ARFF. That along with the certs you already mentioned will defenatelly qualify you for Plant 42. We are located in Palmdale, CA. Its about 40 minutes North of Magic Mountain. Also, if you can, go to DMV and get your Firefighter Class B and Ambulance DL. It is a huge + with getting hired. Are you Rescue Tech 1 or 2. Being a 2 is another huge bonus. I saw that you still have a year to go. No worries, as we have another retirement in May 2008. Its my understanding that jobs at P42 are posted on dodfire.com under jobs link. I hear that lots of people apply, but if you dont have the certs, no chance. I also heard that only the best resumes get the phone interviews. I believe only about 3 or 4 get to that final step. Anyways, our last new hire came from EGLIN AFB in Florida. We have a lot of former AF guys here and everyone is extremely cool to work with. I will send more to your email when I get home.

Please let me know every DOD, IFSAC, Pro Board or CA State cert you have (including college or EMT)

Kev

Forum Member

5150:

For whatever reason, I cannot check my email at work. I will be home this Wednesday, unless I get forced for OT. Anyways, I am hoping you have your ARFF. That along with the certs you already mentioned will defenatelly qualify you for Plant 42. We are located in Palmdale, CA. Its about 40 minutes North of Magic Mountain. Also, if you can, go to DMV and get your Firefighter Class B and Ambulance DL. It is a huge + with getting hired. Are you Rescue Tech 1 or 2. Being a 2 is another huge bonus. I saw that you still have a year to go. No worries, as we have another retirement in May 2008. Its my understanding that jobs at P42 are posted on dodfire.com under jobs link. I hear that lots of people apply, but if you dont have the certs, no chance. I also heard that only the best resumes get the phone interviews. I believe only about 3 or 4 get to that final step. Anyways, our last new hire came from EGLIN AFB in Florida. We have a lot of former AF guys here and everyone is extremely cool to work with. I will send more to your email when I get home.

Please let me know every DOD, IFSAC, Pro Board or CA State cert you have (including college or EMT)

Kev
    thanks, it's all in the email. If for some reason you dont receive it, just let me know here and I'll re-send it. Thanks

Thread Information