Forum Member

Default Certification Software

What do you all use to track what certs people have and when they are expiring? I am using excel now but need something better...I know about firehouse and I am looking for other thigns to compare it to

MembersZone Subscriber

What exactly are you trying to get from / acomplish with new software that Excel isn't giving you?

Just curious from a programmer background - maybe some other "canned" package will work instead of something as High $ as firehouse.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As a fellow keyboard jockey like N2DFire, you could get what you want out of Excel you'd just have to program the VBA in the document. It's a lot easier for a non-nerd to use access. You can import the spreadsheet into Access and then create reports based on the data so you can print everyone's cert dates easily. Then if you want to get fancy you can alter the tables for more data, create a form for easy entry, etc, etc. I use Access for all of the grant application tracking, even though I could write my own custom solution it's a lot less time intensive to use Access. Most of these commercial applications you'd buy are using Access as a back end anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire
    What exactly are you trying to get from / acomplish with new software that Excel isn't giving you?

Just curious from a programmer background - maybe some other "canned" package will work instead of something as High $ as firehouse.

I'm just looking for something to prompt me or change the cells a different color when the certs come within a certain time frame of expiring...I'm pretty good with excel but I'm not sure how to do that, and I have only fooled with Access VERY little...

John

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Go to Tools menu, Conditional Formatting.

There are 3 conditions you'll need:
    1) Expiration more than 30 days away
    2) Expiration within 30 days
    3) Expired

For the window that pops up it will be:
    Condition 1: Cell Value greater than (drop down menu) and type =sum(today()+30) in the box. You can leave it set to No Format so the cell background stays white.
    Condition 2: Cell Value between (drop down) and type today() in the one box, =sum(today()+30) in the other. Pick a color under the Format Button to show those that will be expiring within 30 days.
    Condition 3: Cell value is less than (drop down) and type today() in the box and pick a color to show.

When you go back in the today() will be shown as ="today()", just some formatting fetish Microsoft has I guess.

I attached a picture of the Conditional Formatting window in case you need it. Access is easy to learn and run reports out of.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea - what he said

Sorry I didn't get back quicker - been a little busy what with all the rain we've been blessed with here lately. Last night @ 6pm it was 11" since Friday and it's still raining
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Sweet...What I ended up doing was using the conditional format kinda like you showed me.

I used the =today() function then referenced that cell with the less then or equal to, for the expired certs

Then put the date 2 months later in the next cell and referenced it and the =today() using the "in between" command for certs expiring 1-60 days

For the final format I put a third date 4 months later for certs expiring 61-120 days and reference that date and the =today() cell uising the "in between" command.

Everything updates automatically except the dates that are 2 months and 4 months ahead...but I think I can fix that by using a variation of the =today() butI will have to play with it a bit...maybe like you have above =today()+60

Thread Information