Thread: Waterous Pump

Forum Member

Default Waterous Pump

Has anybody had as chance to use the new Waterous foam pump, The Advatus Foam system? Saw it in a magazine and was wondering if anybody had tried it out yet.

Link to Waterous site:
    http://www.waterousco.com/advantus/index.php#
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

We have it ordered on our new engine (see "Toyne wins"), but we won't receive it until after Fire Expo next year. We like the idea; fewer moving parts, the ability to adjust automatically to variations in water and foam. We're satisfied that they (Waterous Co.) are backing it adequately, too.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm intrigued by it. I seriously doubt anyone has a unit installed yet, as they just introduced them at FDIC. The lowest "level" model isn't yet available, but the two top tier units are.

I had the chance to speak with the regional rep for Waterous that we deal with, and I think there's some cool stuff they're doing with the system. I think they'll have some real advantages in both solution sensing and the pumps they're using...

I haven't seen pricing yet, so we'll see how they do against Foam Pro's comparable products.

Forum Member

Pricing is said to be comparable.

Forum Member

I hope it works out good, I am always leary of first year things though and this thing with "conductivity sensors"...well sounds like a recipe for mineral buildup and conductivity changes on the probes for one thing as well as electrical connection corrosion, etc. I have worked with the Foam Pro for many years and I really like it, it seems simple and reliable to me but that is not to say that this new system is worse or anything.

Birken

Forum Member

I like the science and physics behind this thing. When they showed it to me at FDIC, the first thing that I thought of was the salinity indicator sensors that we used on stills (fresh water distilling plants) on Navy ships. They worked well as long as you cleaned them periodically. I understand that these will clean by flushing the system.

There's at least one Waterous Co. person that participates in these threads, I'm hoping we're providing enough bait to get him to jump in with some comments.

Forum Member

speaking of waterous pumps, we are getting a waterous pump on our new E-one. We have had hale on our last two new engines and i think i have only used one on another depts truck during a training. Are waterous as good/better than hale? We did not get the electronic pump controls either, anyone here have an opinion on these, my concerns are that you cant crack the gates at all and just that it seems like its all or nothing on those, am I correct?

Forum Member

If you have Waterous rack & sector valves and if they are installed correctly, you open the valve to the desired position, then turn the pull handle 1/4 turn either direction. The valve will be locked in that position. If they're manually cranked, you just stop where you want it. Because the crank operator is a worm drive, it will stay there. My only knock on Waterous valves, much as I like them, is that they will slam themselves closed if they're not locked in place.

Saying which is better, Waterous or Hale is like saying which is better, Pierce or .........? (name of the week). They both make good pumps. For a variety of reasons, I happen to prefer Waterous. The Hale crowd will counter with their reasons. And don't forget the minority, the Darley people.

Forum Member

Smile

If you have any questions regarding the foam system you can sure e-mail me. I abide by the rules of the forum and do not post any commercial material. I watch the forum and provide assistance where I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 38ffems
    ? We did not get the electronic pump controls either, anyone here have an opinion on these, my concerns are that you cant crack the gates at all and just that it seems like its all or nothing on those, am I correct?
    If your talking about the electic valves your fd made the RIGHT decision.Our truck has them and something happened with the wiring so it had to be fixed.

We have the Eclipse CAFS unit and we're very happy with it. It costed alot of jingles but when you have very limited man power it pays off. And since we've had this unit the houses we put out their rebuilding them and not tearing them down so I'd say it's worth it! BE SAFE

Thread Information