Forum Member

Exclamation NFPA compliant???

Our department currenty uses cairnes 880 and a few 1010s. Nobody likes the 880, we all want the 1010. Does anybody know if the 880 are NFPA compliant? If they are not we will all get new helmets. I personally would love that because I think the 880 is like a toy helmet. I use the 1010 with my Vol. department and I really like it. thanks for any help in this...

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

On MSA,s website it says that the 880 is nfpa 1971-2000 compliant.
    engine 163 to command .. tell engine 165 we got it they can take up and return

engine163 to county fire SEND ME EVERYTHING

MembersZone Subscriber

How long have you had the 880's? I beleive the current model of the 880 was just rereleased a year or two ago with revisions the meet NFPA standards.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15
    How long have you had the 880's? I beleive the current model of the 880 was just rereleased a year or two ago with revisions the meet NFPA standards.
    This is correct. I believe that production on the older 880's stopped in the late 80's early 90's. The 880 was re-introduced about 2-3 years ago with an NFPA compliant model (ie: Helmet was spec'ed w/ a 4" faceshield or NFPA compliant goggles)

I also know that the early run of new 880's had a very cheaply made leather front holder (the part that the screws go into). The newer models have basically the same set-up as the 1010's or 1044's.

Lastly, although I wear a leather helmet, the new 880's are growing in popularity because of their traditional look and light weight. Plus the cost is closer to the "salad bowl" metro helmets so dept's on a budget can get the nicer traditional look.

Forum Member

NFPA standards change every 3 to 5 years.

Which means any manufacture's products have to be updated every 3 to 5 years.

Generally, when one talks about a departments equipment being "NFPA Compliant"...it means it was NFPA compliant at the time of purchase.

Very, very few organizations want the financial and administrative headache of adopting a policy like *always* having equipment complying with current NFPA standards -- means every few years, you throw out the old and buy the new. "Hey, the new NFPA 1910 is out, gotta buy a whole new fleet of apparatus!"

It is much more practical to have a standard, "Complies with NFPA Standards at time of purchase." And maybe baseline yourselves every so often, by "NFPA Standard, year whatever revision or newer" so you don't grandfather in a 30 year old helmet that met NFPA in the 70s. (Of course, that is what OSHA does, since FedOSHA is based on 1970s era NFPA Standards)

Forum Member

Again thank all of you for replying. I know they are cheaper, they just feel cheap. Of course our main concern is saftey, so we were trying to figure out a way we could convince Chief into buying us new helmets. Our Dept is small but growing so that expense would be minnimal. Well I guess we will have to find a new angle thank you again.

These 880's are the newer ones, we have had them about 1-1/2 years...

Thread Information