....a fine and fitting tribute I think.

The death of the last known First World War veteran will be marked by a National Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey.

There are thought to be less than ten surviving World War I veterans and the memorial service will be held about 12 weeks after the last one passes away.

It will reflect the events of November 11, 1920, when the unknown warrior was laid to rest and the Cenotaph unveiled in Whitehall.

The announcement comes on the first Veterans Day which will now be celebrated every June 27 to pay respect to military veterans of all ages and experiences. There are more than 180 events taking place all over the country to mark the day.

It aims to complement Remembrance Sunday which is specifically for those who gave their lives for their country.

Defence Secretary Des Browne said: "Millions of men and women from across the British Empire made great sacrifices serving their country in World War One. Millions more endured the loss of their loved ones.

"A National Memorial Service will allow the whole nation to honour the valour and spirit shown by the veterans of World War One and will commemorate an entire generation."

He added: "We often think of veterans as the older generation who fought in the World Wars, but we want to remind people that a veteran can be any age from 18 to 110.

"I am delighted that Veterans Day will mark the contribution made by of all them."