Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Question Flashlights

hey everyone. i am looking into flashlights that i can clip onto my turnout coat for some light when im on a fire scene. i have been useing our large flashlights that come off of the truck. however i find these bulky and with the way our lights are designed the switch to turn them on/off can get turned easily. i am looking at the Survivor flashlight. i have have never used these and was wondering what was a good light to have. thanks everyone. stay safe out there.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Default Big Ed

I currently use a "Big Ed" by pelican. It puts out a lot of light and clips on your turn out jacket. for the most part it stays put and does not move around alot and that can be a problem some times if you have to look over head. also it has a push botton on/off switch and can easily be turned on when you store your gear. Several of the guys I work with have the rechargeable version and I know that can be kind of a pain when you show up and your flashlight is dead and you have to wait several hours for it to recharge. I would recomend the one with the 4 C batteries.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ee_flashlight/

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL
    Pelican is my light of choice.
    Ditto
    I currently have 3 with the 4th on the way. The newest of which is the Little Ed Recoil (actually getting 1 for every member as part of our AFG Gear/Equipment grant)

Pelicans product support / service/ warranty can't be beat IMHO.

Regardless of what you get - I agree with ARL2819 10,000% get one w/ "Regular" batteries. It's a lot easier to find batteries at 0-Dark-Thirty than it is to recharge your light.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used a little of everything over the last 10-12 years. Currently I carry a pelican recoil clipped to my turnout jacket. I've had it for about 2 years and haven't changed the batteries yet. The light doesn't seem to pierce smoke as well as a streamlight survivor but the battery life is worth the trade. I also carry a 4C-cell UK dive light in my bellows pocket on my turnout pants. They come with a wrist strap that makes it a little easier to keep up with when you're hopping rafters in an attic and it has held up really well due to the extra duty construction needed for a dive light.

Forum Member

KevinFFVFD:

The Big Ed 4C and Little Ed Recoil 4AA is a great light and has been mentioned several times already. Here are a couple of other options that our guys use.

1) Bright Star 4C, very comparable to the Big and currently has a "Bulbs for Life Program" through stocking dealers (IFS). The candlepower on this light is slightly better than the Big Ed 4C and it is also guaranteed for life. You also receive (2) spare bulbs hidden behind the reflector compared to (1) provided by the Big Ed.

2) Bright Star Light Hawk, this is box style light that is pretty cool. It's dimensions are smaller than the Lite Box and is about 1/3 of the weight. It features LED tail lights similar to the SL Fire Vulcan, but is nearly a pound less. You may clip this light to your truck belt or carry it using their shoulder strap.

3) Streamlight Fire Vulcan, this is a smaller version of the Lite Box and features blue LED lights that show up well in smoke and also provide some great visibility at accident scenes. I personally have this light attached to my truck belt and think it is great. This light does have a couple of detractions that I know of from experience: a) the bulb will rattle loose over time and eventually fall out leaving you with no light until you can plug the bulb back in (very frustrating at a fire) and b) battery life seems to be short. My brothers and sisters have purchased around 60 of these lights from me for personal use and nearly two dozen have replaced batteries within 12-24 months.

4) Streamlight Survivor, this is another 90 degree light option. Currently, this light is only available in the rechargeable model but look for the alkaline version either later this year or early next. This light has been a staple in the fire service for many years and I get relatively few complaints. As with Pelican and Bright Star, these lights are guaranteed for life except for bulbs and batteries.

I hope this helps and shoot me an e-mail if you have any further questions!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com
    dinges88@hotmail.com

Lightbulb Pelican

I have 3 pelican lites for the fire service and 2 for Scuba Diving. I own 2 Sabre Lites and One little Ed But none are LED as they dont penetrate the smoke aswell I find any way!!! I also have a big ed. Our Dept has Kohloers though and they work ok to I guess But I perfer Pelican and if it breaks return it

Forum Member

i have the Big Ed™ Rechargeable 3750 Photoluminescent and love the thing i recently used it out in montgomery county ny nys disaster area. werked like a charm. since there was zero power u couldnt see ur hand in front of ur face in complete darkness

I have used a Big Ed rechargeable (fast charger) for over 5 years...It's a great light...Bright and durable

I recently bought a Little Ed Recoil (LED) as a back-up. It too is a fantastic light. The batteries last forever and the light beam is intense for such a small light.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Big Ed's here, and we are very happy with them.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599
    KevinFFVFD:

3) Streamlight Fire Vulcan, this is a smaller version of the Lite Box and features blue LED lights that show up well in smoke and also provide some great visibility at accident scenes. I personally have this light attached to my truck belt and think it is great. This light does have a couple of detractions that I know of from experience: a) the bulb will rattle loose over time and eventually fall out leaving you with no light until you can plug the bulb back in (very frustrating at a fire) and b) battery life seems to be short. My brothers and sisters have purchased around 60 of these lights from me for personal use and nearly two dozen have replaced batteries within 12-24 months.
    Just replaced my battery and switch. I also found a trick for knowing when you bulb is going to come out.
    Shine the light on the wall about 20-30 feet away. If it is not a solid circle of light then take it apart and push it in. If it has a black center push it in.
    Its a pain in the *** and I do it about once a week.

I can not recommend this light until they fix the problems with it. WHEN it works its great, its keeping it working that's the problem.

As for the Survivor. I have had mine for about 7 years with no problems. Hell I still have the original battery in it.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

cdemarse:

Thanks for the tip on the Vulcan. We also found that out by Trial and Error. I am getting tired of replacing batteries from guys on the job, I probably have replaced around 24 out the 50+ handlights my department has in service.

Many of the guys are now buying the Koelher Brightstar Lighthawk and have had only good luck with it so far. Time will tell how this light is going to hold up to abuse. The longest Lighthawk in service with RFD is about 6-8 months. I will let you know if any problems arise.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

My brother is using a light made from Advanced lighting.
    http://www.alcorp.com/fd1.htm

He so far has nothing but good things to say about it.
    You can find them cheaper then the link I posted but didnt have the time.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

god

well, i don't know how recent this is, but after lookin online at the big ed, they offer (for the rechargable) a 4C tray...so if your NiCad pack dies, and you have 4 C bats. lying around, you can pop those in (similar to the Kohler Responder)

so thats always a Pro...

now as for the Streamlight Survivor '2' -what is difference between the new and old (division 2)?

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=rfd599]KevinFFVFD:

Replaced my battery in 13 months, rather fustrating, but the light is lightweight, comes with a seatbelt strap and puts out a bunch of light. Still currently carrying this light. Oh yeah and the bulbs do rattle out of the socket. Annoying.

4) Streamlight Survivor, this is another 90 degree light option. Currently, this light is only available in the rechargeable model but look for the alkaline version either later this year or early next. This light has been a staple in the fire service for many years and I get relatively few complaints. As with Pelican and Bright Star, these lights are guaranteed for life except for bulbs and batteries.
    Most every active interior guy on my department carries this light on their jacket. Durable, rechargeable (I look at this as a plus) cuts smoke fairly well.

Keep in mind having more than one light will keep you out of a jam of being in the dark. Redundancies within reason. A personal light like a right angle, the cheapie garrity lights on the helmet and a handheld lantern are all part of my and most guys on my department gear.
    be safe
    Bryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Advanced lighting

An addendum to my previous post, many of my buddies that work FDNY, you know that little department in the Big Apple, swear by the POWER PLUS FD-1 HANDLIGHT. A little heavy than most, but very durable and definetely battled test.

Again
    Stay Safe
    Bryan

Forum Member

i have been very partial to pelican i have the stealthlight , i had a little ed and sold it when i got the big ed, and i also have a super saberlite in my lower pocket both the sabrelite and big ed have the photolumunescetn hood

Forum Member

Last edited by sfd2605; 03-17-2008 at 08:02 PM.

god

i have another question...

110V / AC / DC?

differences in charges? i would imaging the DC could go into a car...but does it also have a coversion to 110? And does the difference in 'power' charge each light difference/more effectivly? also, i noticed that the prices vary between the models...any particular reason?

thanks!!!
    Last edited by mikie333; 07-29-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Forum Member

I use the AL 5000 cliped onto my SCBA waist strap and use the Survivor light cliped onto my coat at chest level. I have had them both for 10yrs without any problems. STAY SAFE

Thread Information