MembersZone Subscriber

Default Window AC Units??

Well summer time is here and everyone has in place there window AC units. Now here is the question that has been debating my company for the last few months now and was recently brought up in some firehouse conversation. We had room and contents fire on the 2nd Floor A/B corner of a 2 story 2 family house. The crew on the truck company (my company) when venting the window on the 2nd floor encountered a window mounted AC unit. The firefighter vented the window and then pushed the ac unit inside the window. Now heres the debate from a couple people in my dept and company. They said what he did was wrong because he could of pushed the AC unit inside on a victim but upon arrival the occupants had self evacuated and stated no one was inside and the 1st Due Engine company was just gaining access to the 2nd floor and placing the line in service. I'm cought in the middle on the fence with this one because yes he could of pushed it inside on someone but i'd rather it fall the 1-2 feet than the 10-15ft to the ground and injure someone. Soo what do you guys think? This way if we should happen to encounter this again I know what to do and could pass along the info to my fellow firefighters on my company. Thanks for the information
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Deffinetaly push it inside.... I think it makes a lot more sense the pulling it out and risk it falling on someone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Inside every time.

Besides, it makes the insurance investigator's job MUCH easier. Trust me. I am doing one tomorrow with an AC unit that caused the fire fell two floors. The thing is a mess and would have killed someone if it had fallen on them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say for sure inside. I'm sure anyone could debate that opinion, but I believe a lot less could happen when falling a couple of feet to falling two stories. Something like a window AC could fall two stories and probably roll around or something of that sort and cause more problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets just look at the simple physics of the fall. If it falls in the window it is going to hit the floor a lot lighter then if it hit the ground following a 2 story drop. this is my opinion.

Forum Member

Push the unit in... better to have the unit drop a foot or two as opposed to on top of you!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Engine58
    Well summer time is here and everyone has in place there window AC units. Now here is the question that has been debating my company for the last few months now and was recently brought up in some firehouse conversation. We had room and contents fire on the 2nd Floor A/B corner of a 2 story 2 family house. The crew on the truck company (my company) when venting the window on the 2nd floor encountered a window mounted AC unit. The firefighter vented the window and then pushed the ac unit inside the window. Now heres the debate from a couple people in my dept and company. They said what he did was wrong because he could of pushed the AC unit inside on a victim but upon arrival the occupants had self evacuated and stated no one was inside and the 1st Due Engine company was just gaining access to the 2nd floor and placing the line in service. I'm cought in the middle on the fence with this one because yes he could of pushed it inside on someone but i'd rather it fall the 1-2 feet than the 10-15ft to the ground and injure someone. Soo what do you guys think? This way if we should happen to encounter this again I know what to do and could pass along the info to my fellow firefighters on my company. Thanks for the information
    So it being a second floor fire, I take it he was on a ladder and pushing the unit inward? Not only the risk of it falling on someone, but also the risk of it coming out crooked and crashing into the ladder causing a holy **** moment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info guys....I got some more backup now when this topic comes up again cause it does every now and then and if this happens again I know to tell whoever tells me I am wrong to go shove it but in a much nicer way of course
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Hehehe...

Mounting my AC...

Go out to garage to find screw for the windowsill...

Jake the Dalmatian has lifted the window and pushed the AC out which is now hanging by the power cord, with his head looking out the window at me with a sheepish, "Did I do that?" grin.

Thanks Jake, I needed this extra bit of repair work...

Which is to say...I have just this week seen them left hanging by a cord out the window. Kind of surprised me, and maybe given another five minutes the plug would've finally pulled out of the wall.

I'll vote push it in -- the statistical probability of their being a victim right there is pretty small.

Forum Member

I'd vote for inside to, but I also ask, aren't many victims found by doors or under windows? so by pushing it in, doesn't it increase the chance of crushing the person who needs rescuing who was lying unconcious directly under the sill?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Windows attract people looking for escape, or fresh air...they open the window, then pass out.

How many windows with A/Cs attract someone trying to escape?

I guess maybe if it's the only window in the room...but my gut feeling is this should be much less of likely location for victims then a regular window.

Forum Member

I'm accually middle of the road.

Pro-long fall, heavy object, bad combination, need I say more

Con- Their was an entry team accesing the 2nd floor. Correct? If that unit was pushed through the window into room with them that could be an added danger. A window AC unit on fire can vent very violently I've seen one do so when it was sprayed with water, (scared the s*** out of me too). Doing so could present a possible added danger to the entry team.

but under the circumstances with the unit being on the second floor pushing inward was the wiser course of action but if their was a possibilty of vitcims or an entry team and the unit was on the 1st floor I would pull it out the window.....carefully I might add.

Just my 2 cents
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

MembersZone Subscriber

They usually go in from the inside, so they should push back in easier than pulling them out. Let alone the fall hazard. Id say definitely push it in.

Forum Member

Remembering how securely fastened the frame and bracket were when we used to have a window unit, you'd spend too much time trying to get it loose and out the window.

Push it in.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Windows attract people looking for escape, or fresh air...they open the window, then pass out.

How many windows with A/Cs attract someone trying to escape?

I guess maybe if it's the only window in the room...but my gut feeling is this should be much less of likely location for victims then a regular window.
    I'd vote for inside to, but I also ask, aren't many victims found by doors or under windows? so by pushing it in, doesn't it increase the chance of crushing the person who needs rescuing who was lying unconcious directly under the sill?
    Id much rather have it fall on a victim then one of the brothers operating below me. No matter how safe you think it is to release it outward, there is always that chance of someone coming out the 1st floor window, or a doorway. An AC unit falling 2 or 3 feet onto a most likely unconscious victim will do far less damage then a 15 foot fall onto someone's head.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did a fire today where a window AC unit fell out of the burning window just as the FD arrived. Fall of about 25 feet. Decent divot in the sidewalk. Case is quite mangled. Reportedly got hung up on the way down by the cord. Unit weighted about 50 lbs. It defintely would have killed someone on the ground.

More than ever, I'm for pushing it in.

IACOJ BOD

Denifetly phus it inised.

and then wright a reely long raport about whut hapened in shiockingly worser england and forget to use any form of grama or englandish wot no one could probaly not read or right again in living or dead historectomy Please forget nofing you wernt taunted at school with, just get ya england outs so we can all read and understnad were you arent coming from. dont forget to remember to mention in ya raport that if we take a hulking bloody great air conditioning unit and shove it out of the window into an area where lots of live people are standing as opposed to shoving it into the area where and we quote we are all out of the house and we can see the smoke stuf and the flame thingies coming out the window it could be a good idea. best to put it where you arent standing eh. if you should encounter this again and we sorely hope this does not happen then remember a simple rule if you are outside push in if you are inside pull the damn thing towards you carefully keep your feet out of the way and feel for bodies lying underneath it first. if you feel that this was of any benefat and wuld like ta use it for your sops then please run it through a spell checka first.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    Denifetly phus it inised.

and then wright a reely long raport about whut hapened in shiockingly worser england and forget to use any form of grama or englandish wot no one could probaly not read or right again in living or dead historectomy Please forget nofing you wernt taunted at school with, just get ya england outs so we can all read and understnad were you arent coming from. dont forget to remember to mention in ya raport that if we take a hulking bloody great air conditioning unit and shove it out of the window into an area where lots of live people are standing as opposed to shoving it into the area where and we quote we are all out of the house and we can see the smoke stuf and the flame thingies coming out the window it could be a good idea. best to put it where you arent standing eh. if you should encounter this again and we sorely hope this does not happen then remember a simple rule if you are outside push in if you are inside pull the damn thing towards you carefully keep your feet out of the way and feel for bodies lying underneath it first. if you feel that this was of any benefat and wuld like ta use it for your sops then please run it through a spell checka first.

I hope this wasnt poking fun at my orginal posting?? If it was I thought I wrote a somewhat pretty good posting...and if it wasnt I guess I missed something here? lol....Even if it was no harm done... I didnt get to this fire till about 15-20 minutes into it when the crews were inside doing overhaul, but happened to catch some heat from a couple of the guys from another company telling me that our new "probie" messed up. Of course I took his side and stuck up for him because if I was in the same situation I would of done the same exact thing. I know this was kind of a trivial question to some but we don't really see that much fire in my town and well when we do the "know it alls" pick apart everyones tactics no matter how right we were. Either way thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with everyone else push the unit in. I'd rather have it fall in then on one of my people standing on the ground below or even taking the ff on the ladder performing the operation. I've had bricks and slate hit me on my head,and I always have my lid on, but the thought of an a/c unit hitting me makes my neck hurt just a little bit. BE SAFE

Forum Member

I would and do pass it on to our newer FF's to push window AC units back inside for 2 reasons. 1. so they don't fall out of the window and onto someone outside. 2. the way they are mounted and attached to the house, it is easier to push them in than try to pull them out.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Me Too!.........

From an overall Fireground safety standpoint, Push It In. All the items mentioned (long fall vs short fall, F/Fs under the window outside, etc.) are all valid.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information