Forum Member

Default Are there and reserve FF's here?

I am currently active duty stationed at Nellis AFB. I was wondering if someone could please describe what it is like to be a firefighter in the AF reserve. I am wondering about the deployment cycles, the job, what you do when working, if you work in a firefighter role when deployed etc.

I am mainly trying to decide whether or not to reinlist and x-train or if I should just go reserve. My longterm goal is civilian firefighting either way. Anyways, thanks in advance for helping out.
    Trent

P.S. Sorry if this double posts, I am having internet problems.

Forum Member

Default AF Reserve FF

Trent,
    I am reserve FF. It probably depends on your base on what your activities will be. Here where I am, we don't man any trucks (I think this is norm for AF Reserve), but we do get one every now and then to train on. Most of our time is spent doing required annual training for prime beef stuff, upgrade FF training and the such.

The times I have been deployed as well as your annual tour you work as FF. Work 24 on 24 off in most cases. Don't get much experience, but do get allot of training.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I'm a Marine Reserve FF, but am on a base with ANG and AFR FFs. I honestly can't remember which group is which, they all wear similar uniforms you know. They deploy dets to the sandbox for 90 day cycles regularly, and they often do their annual 2 weeks overseas-England, Israel, etc. I haven't heard of them doing anything other than fire duty when deployed.Their drill weekend training can be BS to great depending on whether it's time for shots and prime beef/readiness stuff or they go to a CRTC for an ORE. They have good opportunities to do their upgrade training via CDCs. All in all, they are much better off than the Marines as far as the fire training goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    I'm a Marine Reserve FF, but am on a base with ANG and AFR FFs. I honestly can't remember which group is which, they all wear similar uniforms you know. They deploy dets to the sandbox for 90 day cycles regularly, and they often do their annual 2 weeks overseas-England, Israel, etc. I haven't heard of them doing anything other than fire duty when deployed.Their drill weekend training can be BS to great depending on whether it's time for shots and prime beef/readiness stuff or they go to a CRTC for an ORE. They have good opportunities to do their upgrade training via CDCs. All in all, they are much better off than the Marines as far as the fire training goes.
    I am at the same place gunnyv is, only I am with the ANG unit he is referring to. We just got upgraded to 120 day deployments to the desert, unless you are picked for a RAMS team and then it is 120 days in country plus a 30 day combat skills training prior to deployment. We usually will "take over" a truck or three during drill weekends to get training on. This also allows us to go out and get familiarization on our aircraft, barriers, and do a structural drill or aircraft egress as the chief(s) see fit. All in all I am glad to be where I am. If it wasn't for the ANG I would still be stuck in a ARNG unit as a FF doing Army stuff.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your decision.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by angfireman
    I am at the same place gunnyv is, only I am with the ANG unit he is referring to.
    I was hoping you'd chime in, guess I got most of it right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    I was hoping you'd chime in, guess I got most of it right.
    I was pretty confident that you could cover all the basics. You did pretty well. It made my part easy.

Forum Member

Thanks alot guys. From what you are saying, it seems like the reserves would be agood choice. I am going to talk to the recruiter today, and if they have an opening for FF in the midwest, I am going to get the ball rolling. Again, thanks for the info.
    Trent

MembersZone Subscriber

im a Marine reservest based out of socal, will they let you LAT move into FF in the reserves?

Forum Member

The Marine Reserve FF's in CA are in Miramar, MWSS 473. I know the CWO and the SNCOs. You can lat move if they are shortstaffed, which I don't think they are. PM me with some info and I'll look into it.

MembersZone Subscriber

well im a SSgt in Iraq right now I MEF IMA Det, the problem i usually run into is that no one wants SNCO's

Forum Member

I just got an email from 473's ARFF officer, and he says he's short SNCOs. I know the couple they have are SSgts, and an MWSS rates 4 GySgts and a MSgt that he doesn't have. You'll have to PM me for more, I don't want to give out to much info or drop names here.

Forum Member

If you plan on moving to Houston the Army Reserve FF there have 3 FF units and opening 2 or 3 more. We need people.

Forum Member

Default Enlisting...

I am recenlty out of college and wanted to become a firefighter. I was thinking of getting military ff training and then going civilian. Any idea if I could go into the reserves, if so which branch would be best?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey GunnyV it wont let me send you a pm or email so ill give you my emal address just launch me one there and ill reply, David.Carrera@cemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil, thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

i am a mamber of an ANG FF unit and like one of the reservists said its a lot of bs prime beef training. although we do man trucks

Thread Information