Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question STL to FLA relocation ?

I am considering relocating to FL, NC, SC, VA, of GA. I currently live in the St. Louis metro area and have been employed for 18 years as a paid Firefighter/EMT. I am hoping for info on pay, benefits, morale and potential future hirings. I am also intersted in public schools, cost of real estate, climate and crime. I have spent hours researching FD and city/state websites and some of the cities or metro areas that seem appealing are Charlotte, Savannah, Raliegh, Durham, Virginia City, and Richmond. I am interested in many Florida areas but it seems impossible to get hired with out their state certifications. Any and all info would be appreciated. If we move based on your info I'll buy you a beer or 10. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

Default Aviod Florida!!!!!!!!

just kidding.....however....the costof living isfairly cheaphere but the housing prices are out of this world....and your right about the hiring without state certification....the EMS stuff is fairly easy....and they are in desperate need of Paramedics all over the state. and if you chose to move here.....it wouldnt hurt to learn spanish.

(no offense meant to anyone of hispanic decent.)
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info, I do like the Tampa/St. Petersburg area but I am not a medic and hope to get on somewhere as a firefighter/emt. Do any of the bigger cities like Tampa hire you and then certify you or give you time to get certified? Is the rumor true that there are more positions open than can be filled in Fla? Florida would be our first choice, but it just seems impossible to get the Fla State certificates.

yes the rumor is true....and as far as being hired and then getting trained the only city I heard do that was Miami Dade, although it is not impossible, it is very hard. I have been struggling with the EMS crap since I moved here, I have not even attempted the fire stuff yet!!!!, you might check out WWW.FL-EMS.COM that is the State EMS website it has the info for challenging the test, and check out the florida state fire college for maybe challenging the flroida fire test. hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can give you some more info, Good Luck.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

Challenging the State Fire Test for Florida is very tough, Florida doesn't like to take anybody else's state certifications for firefighting, I've heard of guys that worked for FDNY that came down to Florida and the state wouldn't take their certifications, I'm not sure how true these are, but it wouldn't shock me all that much. If you have your National Registry EMT-B that should transfer over just fine, Florida has done away with its seperate state test and goes by the National Registry now. There are a lot of openings in the Tampa/St. Pete area, something like 200 Firefighter positions open in the next 2 years in Manatee, Hillsborough, and Pinellas counties alone. You can get your Firefighter II in one semester if you go full-time, or two semesters part-time at academies. Good luck in your choice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info! Who knows maybe they will become more flexible when they have trouble finding decent candidates. Be Safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default paramedic reciprocity

im an out of state nremt-p, how hard is it to get the reciprocity in florida? it sounded like a matter of filling out a few forms and mailing them in but i want to be sure. Also does that help my chances in being hired if im from out of state?

You must challenge the state test... Florida has no reciprocity with anyone.....it is computer based and you can take it in Ohio before you come here....I will tell you this....you must score at least an 80% in order to pass the written...there are no practicals. It is a basic medic knowledge test with a few florida specific questions thrown in.

1 question that sometimes is on it is......what color is the Florida DNRO form?

the answer is YELLOW

contact the state and they can give you more info on how to go about applying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cvame2202
    Thanks for the info! Who knows maybe they will become more flexible when they have trouble finding decent candidates. Be Safe!
    Good Luck...It seems to me they Fl. would rather put a young kid through training and mold them to their standards. If you have 18yrs of experience, and come here, you may have a hard time adjusting to some of their ways of interior firefighting. Just keep your mouth shut and go through the fire training over again. Best of Luck!

Forum Member

Its not impossible to get your firefighter I & II. You must fill out the form that you have the required hours per "topic" (i.e. 8 hrs of foricble training etc.) and then take the practical test down in Ocala. I know of at least one NY firefighter that has obtained his Fl certification.

Thread Information