Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Online CPR Recertification

Has anyone used any of the online CPR Recertification providers that are out there like proCPR www.procpr.org Are these usually accepted. I am trying to get hired but I need to renew my CPR soon and I will have no free time in the next few weeks.

and how do you do the practicals when your limited interaction is only online? If I was an agency, I wouldn't accept a CPR refresher from an online service for this reason alone.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

That was my thought, obviously I feel comfortable with my skills but how is anyone else to know that unless they see it. My dilemma is that I am trying to get the recert done before I submit my apps, however there is one agency that is hiring now and my card will expire between when I submit my app and when I interview. I don't know if this will be a problem, or if it will even be noticed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would highly recommend that you learn something from this about getting recertified before you get in this situation. And do not shortchange yourself by doing a CPR class online. The practicals are a good thing. I would even go as far to say that you should try and go to a class that has a "smart" dummy, that hooks to the computer and lets you know how well you are doing compressions and such. Just my 2 cents. Our department has them now and we really figured out a bunch of us were not going deep enough on compressions and breathing too fast.

Cuttdogg

Press deeply on the "fghj" keys, pause, hold the "Shift" key down.

Press "FGHJ" again, now release the "Shift key.

If it feels good you are online certified for CPR

Carefull
    Press
    Response

Enjoy life.

Certificuts are $ 25.00 a crack, you want one printed??????

Do the course Bro.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Nope!............

KiWi, this isn't working! I'v pushed my monitor off the desk three times, trying to do compressions......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

And I think I heard my keyboard "crack". Is that a good thing? LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CPR on line

do the breaths go in via the floppy drive or the CD Burner?

MembersZone Subscriber

I must admit kiwi, my computer did stay alive with your advice. It's still going like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by cuttdogg
    My dilemma is that I am trying to get the recert done before I submit my apps, however there is one agency that is hiring now and my card will expire between when I submit my app and when I interview. I don't know if this will be a problem, or if it will even be noticed.
    Here is some radical thinking: go look around and find a place that is offering a CPR refresher? or even better, if you know any CPR instructors, talk to them, they can sometimes do a recert off site, and then write a letter saying you passed the course and are awaiting the card. this way you will be all legal.

I know, real radical thinking, isn't it?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

As a CPR instructor myself, I can tell you that if you have/had AHA Professional Rescuer CPR certification, you will have to complete a formal refresher class which may/may not include "the new CPR". From what I have been told so far, laypersons after taking an original CPR course may renew online (which IMO is not a good idea...some of our "professional" rescuers don't even perform CPR properly and they do it on a far more frequent basis so why would you let John Q. Public who probably will never do CPR in the 2-3 year span of certification do this... ).

With "the new CPR" that's coming out, there are MAJOR changes to how we have done CPR for years - so much so that even AED's have to be
    re-programmed (a major issue right now as most of the AED vendors don't have upgrades available yet the new CPR standards are already in place...go figure). Even if you take a refresher right now, you will probably have to take an update class at some time in the near future (probably with your new dept. by the time you get hired & into the academy).

Quite honestly, if you're that set on getting hired onto a dept. as a professional, then find the 3 hrs. somewhere and invest in the training. While I don't know where you're from or how the depts. you're applying to operate, I would think most would frown on you having CPR recertified through a few keystrokes on a PC. I've taken some online CME myself and it was not challenging or even educational but rather an easy way to gain 2 hrs. CME for 15 min. worth of reading some text (not why I took it but ultimately that was what really happened).

My advice - take the 3 hr. refresher class and show your prospective new employer that you do things the right way and are not trying to take the back door to the easy route.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

there are MAJOR changes
    Major? All I've heard is that the ratio of compressions to ventilations is changing. No big deal. Is there something else?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

As an instructor for the red cross, yes there are changes. They are not Major. 15:2 compressions to breaths, is now 30:2. Back blows and abdominal thrusts are used now for conscious choking. And instead of 3 shocks for every minute of CPR, it is one shock for every 2 minutes of CPR.

Without practicing the skills you may not do the things needed if you ever have to use CPR for real. Sure its great to take a test and pass, you have to take one for the red cross, but you should also pass a skills part in order to get certified. Its great that you can pass a written exam but can you do the skill for real if needed? I would not allow anyone to be certified if they only took the test and did not do any skills practices.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

I hooked the AED to my computer....now the computer smokes. Do I pass my CPR recert?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default you can take the written online, but...

You need to see an instructor to take the practical portion of all of the AHA courses before you can get your card.

THis is the same for CPR, ACLS, PALS etc.

I put my finger in the USB port for a pulse check and got a shock......

If I go to the Weight Watchers website do I loose weight??

If I go to the WebMD website does that make me a doctor??

Do the class like the rest of us moron!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    I put my finger in the USB port for a pulse check and got a shock......
    Ummmmmm.... Dude, that wasnt where you check the pulse, use the F12 key. The USB port is for ummmmmmm. Nevermind.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Now you tell me!! My computer is making me sleep on the couch for a week now....
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Um, Yeah.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    If I go to the Weight Watchers website do I loose weight??
    Funny you should ask. I hit that site about 10 times last week, and I'm down 8 pounds since July 1st.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information