Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default How to handle electric in residential gas leak?

You respond to a complaint of gas odor at a private residence: typical 2 story single family home. Upon arrival, gas odor very strong. Some occupants inside house, possibly overcome. Quick test with meter reveals very high levels of natural gas near/inside the house. What would your SOP be with regard to:
    1. Shutting off electric (shut it off at box, knock off meter, leave it alone, other)?
    2. Ventilation (leave doors open, break windows, use PPV, use NPV, wait until gas clears naturally, other)?
    3. Evacuating neighboring houses? (Evacuate immediately, depends on gas levels, other?)

MembersZone Subscriber

"You respond to a complaint of gas odor at a private residence: typical 2 story single family home. Upon arrival, gas odor very strong. Some occupants inside house, possibly overcome. Quick test with meter reveals very high levels of natural gas near/inside the house. What would your SOP be with regard to:
    1. Shutting off electric (shut it off at box, knock off meter, leave it alone, other)?
    2. Ventilation (leave doors open, break windows, use PPV, use NPV, wait until gas clears naturally, other)?
    3. Evacuating neighboring houses? (Evacuate immediately, depends on gas levels, other"

1. Leave the electricity exactly as you find it. Dont Touch it at all.

2. Open doors and windows, shut of any pilot lights. natural ventilation only, Positive and negative pressure fans could spark.

3. If necessary evacuate neighbors, Knock on doors,DONT use doorbell, doing so could cause a spark.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Ditto...

And follow the below for a case study

http://www.kscourts.org/ca10/cases/2000/05/98-8023a.htm
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Also turn off the gas at the meter.

Don't worry about the appliance, Kill the source. NICOR is going to come out regaurdless. They will do a safety inspection before turning the meter back on.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    Also turn off the gas at the meter.

Don't worry about the appliance, Kill the source. NICOR is going to come out regaurdless. They will do a safety inspection before turning the meter back on.
    I think this would be one of the first things to do. If by chance the environment inside the house is too rich to blow, if you open up the door and let the right amount of air in, you've got yourself an explosive environment. All it'd take is a pilot light somewhere to set it off, or the spark from flipping a switch.

Another situation you can look into that I can find right off the bat is an incident in Joplin, MO, where two police officers made entry into the home of a suicidal man. When it was all said and done, the man had apparently d/ced the gas line to the oven and filled the house with natural gas. One officer fired his taser, setting off an explosion.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

We had a guy try to kill himself by disconnecting the gas to every appliance in the house. As an afterthought, he realized that his kids may come into the house later that day, and turn on a light, so he disconnected the electricity by shutting off the main breaker. The ensuing explosion totally, and I mean totally destroyed the house. He received some pretty severe burns as well, requiring a stay at Ohio State Hospital's Burn Unit. The explosion actually blew him away from the house, and under a bunch of debris.

If I can find some pics, I'll post 'em.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with everyone so far. Turn the gas off and DON'T mess with any breakers or switches.
    We had a gas leak caused by a directional boring crew. The gas seeped through the ground till it found a source of ignition in a Walgreens. The explosion injured two firefighters and severly damaged the store.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...ws&id=2284791#
    click on the images and in picture 3 of 25 you can see the gas fire burning from the foundation.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=45&id=36000

Thread Information