Thread: Article 52

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Article 52

Someone brought up Article 52 at house the other day. Not knowing what it was, I looked it up here.

Is anyone else concerned about this bill and its effects on the NJ fire service?

While I see the moving of the District election dates as a good thing, I was a little concerned about this section:
    16. (New section) Notwithstanding the provisions of P.L.1979, c.453 (C.40A:14-81.1 et al.) to the contrary:

a. Except as provided in subsection b. of this section, for the purposes of annual budget appropriations fire districts are subject to the limitations on expenditures pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1976, c.68 (C.40A:4-45.1 et seq.), being 2.5% or the cost-of-living adjustment, whichever is less, over the previous year, as the Director of the Division of Local Government Services in the Department of Community Affairs determines applicable.

b. Whenever the commissioners of a fire district determine that it is necessary to exceed the limitations on expenditures pursuant to subsection a. of this section, a public referendum requesting approval for increasing the fire district budget by more than the amount permitted pursuant to subsection a. of this section shall be held at the time of the election for fire commissioners.

c. The director, subject to the approval of the Local Finance Board, may extend the dates for the introduction, approval and adoption of fire district budgets and the Local Finance Board may adopt rules to establish or modify other budget practices to ensure consistency with sound budgeting practices.
    Specifically, won't an anual budget cap of 2.5% adversely affect a lot of the districts out there?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    Someone brought up Article 52 at house the other day. Not knowing what it was, I looked it up here.

Is anyone else concerned about this bill and its effects on the NJ fire service?

While I see the moving of the District election dates as a good thing, I was a little concerned about this section:

Specifically, won't an anual budget cap of 2.5% adversely affect a lot of the districts out there?
    How will it adveresly affect them? Most of the fire districts I am familiar with have an obscene amount of money at their disposal. They get a rubber stamp approval on their budget and virtually no oversight or accountability? It doesn't seem like 2.5% will hurt.

Forum Member

I thought the 2.5 cap has been in place for quite a while already.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well its my understanding that if that goes thru, the Board of Fire Commissioners Elections will unofficially be a stepping stone for any political position within the city, towns etc.. Think of it this way, now someone who really didnt know anything about fire district positions, who wants to run for a more lucrative or "important" position, council, mayor etcc Might go the low road run for Fire Commissioner as a stepping stone, or during a mayoral election run on the same unofficial ticket as a Councilperson or mayor and get put into this position to assist in the next coming years to move up politically. To load the bases as they say withing township, city ranks.

Just my 2 cents..

also by doing this the 2.5% cap would be applied to Fire Commissioners, which now it is not.

It is my understanding also that will force to readjust Fire District Boundaries because the elections will make the Fire Districts the Voting Districts, which in some areas can increase or decrease district borders drastically.

Keith Badler
    Chief
    Robertsville Volunteer Fire Co. #1
    Marlboro Township, New Jersey, District #2
    www.RobertsvilleFire.org (Under Construction)
    kbadler@robertsvillefire.org
    Keith Badler
    Chief
    Robertsville Volunteer Fire Co. #1
    Marlboro Township, New Jersey, District #2
    www.RobertsvilleFire.org
    kbadler@robertsvillefire.org

Thread Information