MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Politicians and the law

Chesterfield County Supervisor Edward B. Barber pleaded guilty yesterday to two misdemeanor sexual battery charges involving his teenage stepdaughter. His sentence includes no jail time, and he said he intends to continue to serve on the Board of Supervisors.

As part of a plea agreement, the charges were reduced from two felony counts initially filed. Since the charges are misdemeanors, Barber -- a Democrat and the Midlothian district representative -- is not legally required to resign from the board.

But Supervisor R.M. "Dickie" King Jr. at yesterday's county Board of Supervisors meeting asked Barber, who was not present, to leave the board.

"The board has no authority under the law to force the resignation of one of its members," King said, reading from a prepared statement that was endorsed by the three other county supervisors.

"However, in view of the serious nature of the convictions today, we feel that he has violated the public trust, and it would be inappropriate for Mr. Barber to continue to serve on this board, and would draw into serious question his ability to effectively serve his constituents or to otherwise represent the county. We, therefore, regretfully request his immediate resignation."

Barber is the only Democrat on the board. The other four supervisors are Republicans.

In an exclusive interview with The Times-Dispatch last night, Barber said he has no plans to vacate his office.

"I've represented that district well for 14 years and I plan to continue to do that," he said when reached by telephone.

Barber said he will be out of town with his family for a couple of weeks but plans to be at future board meetings. He would not say whether he plans to seek re-election. His current four-year term expires at the end of 2007.

Barber, 50, has served on the Board of Supervisors since 1992. He earns $29,982.70 annually in .

that position.

After pleading guilty during the hearing, Barber was sentenced to a two-year suspended jail sentence, three years probation and 100 hours of community service.

He also must submit to a sex-offender evaluation. Depending on the outcome of that evaluation, he could be required to undergo sex-offender counseling.

The written plea agreement that Barber entered into indicates that he admits to touching "the private parts of the victim against her will" on Dec. 26.

Barber must register with the state police Sex Offender Registry. State law requires any adult convicted of sexual battery of a minor to register, said Michelle Elliott, who works for the registry.

Special prosecutor Sandra R. Sylvester, a Prince William County assistant commonwealth's attorney assigned to the case, said she is satisfied with the outcome. "I'm happy for the victim . . . that she can finally get some closure. She was publicly vilified during this process." Sylvester said she agreed to the plea deal to save the teenage victim from further pain and scrutiny.

During his later interview with a Times-Dispatch reporter, Barber declined to speak about his decision to enter a guilty plea after maintaining his innocence, referring a reporter to a written statement he issued through a supporter.

In that statement, Barber says he opted to plead guilty to avoid the uncertain outcome of a trial and to ensure that he would not be separated from his family by incarceration. Barber's stepdaughter was 16 at the time she made her complaint to police on Dec. 26. Barber was arrested Dec. 29 -- the same day that police listened in on a phone conversation between Barber and the girl -- and charged with felony aggravated sexual battery and felony object sexual penetration.

The former charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment; maximum punishment on the latter charge is a life sentence.

Barber spent the New Year's holiday weekend in Riverside Regional Jail before being released on $100,000 bond on Jan. 3.

Barber's wife, Theresa, had said that the criminal complaint made by her daughter stemmed from a domestic dispute that involved the Barbers, the girl and the girl's biological father and stepmother.

Though his colleagues on the Board of Supervisors have asked him to resign, state law doesn't provide many mechanisms for the ouster of an elected official convicted of the misdemeanor charges to which Barber pleaded guilty.

State law does require the removal of an elected official convicted of a felony after all appeals have been exhausted. A drug-related misdemeanor conviction is enough to force forfeiture of elected office after the appeals process.

One possible remedy for voters who feel Barber should step down is to file a petition that asks the Circuit Court to remove him.

Barber said he will retire from his job as a physical-education teacher at Crenshaw Elementary School. But school system officials had apparently already decided he would not continue there.

County schools spokeswoman Debra Q. Marlow yesterday told The Times-Dispatch that Barber, who had been suspended pending the resolution of the charges against him, "does not have a contract for the fall and we will fill that position."

In October 2004, Barber faced allegations of improper contact with children after some Crenshaw parents said they witnessed him allowing children to massage his shoulders.

Barber was placed on administrative leave from the school for about two weeks. A subsequent police investigation into those allegations did not yield any charges against Barber.

Contact staff writer Julian Walker at jwalker@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6831.

He still maintains his innocence. Who in their right mind would plead guilty to a sexual crime involving a minor if they were really innocent? Most people I know would fight to their death a false charge of that nature. As to his ability to serve his constituents... does anyone really want a sex offender as their respresentative??
    Last edited by ffemtPAJ; 07-02-2006 at 07:58 AM.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

So I guess we should hold up signs in the meetings with "Pedophiles cannot be reformed" on them.

Interesting that this scumbag gets to go on vacation with his family. Wonder if this includes his stepdaughter gets to go too.

Friggin' scumbag. I'll bet he gets re-elected too.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Talking

Position, money and knowing the right people and you can get away with almost anything. Wouldn't it be nice if those seeking elected office were actually there to serve the people.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Default If the cap fits?

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    Position, money and knowing the right people and you can get away with almost anything. Wouldn't it be nice if those seeking elected office were actually there to serve the people.

Why do I hear------Chappaquiddick?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Because Ted Kennedy is scumbag who people let get away with (literally & figuratively) murder because of his last name what OTHERS in the family have had to endure.

http://www.ytedk.com/index.htm

More specifically:

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

Yet these politicians are going to try to tell us to live a decent life and that we need to obey the law and pay the consequences when we break the law?

Friggin' scumbags.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Wink Wrong idea

Sharkie-I wish to state (before I, as a mere non-American, get shot down in flames) am not "having a pop" at your country--your politicians do not have the monopoly in double standards/rorts/rip offs/malfeasance and being just plain ars#holes--the rest of the world are pretty good at these events also!

Even down here on the other side of the world our lot have their little trotters firmly in the trough.

And please DO NOT EVEN GO THERE WITH ENGLISH ROYALS--the biggest dysfunctional family in the world( and as a "Lapsed Brit"-I am an expert on this subject)

On a lighter note --the American Flag flutters bravely on Auckland Harbour Bridge today in honour of your Independence Day---so have a few(lots?) of celebratory toasts--and please don't mangle my language too much.

Forum Member

Aw hell man, "pop away."

People are people all over the world. Politicians are the same all over the world.

I take no offense at all - especially when you go after Ted Kennedy; one of the worst of all.

Keep those colors flying on the bridge too.

Truckie

2andfrom, well said.
    No, we in America don't have the monopoly on idiot politicains, but it isn't from a lack of trying!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Or that Congressman from S.D. After numerous run ins for speeding he finally killed someone. And that is the only reason he was finally punished.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Or that Congressman from S.D. After numerous run ins for speeding he finally killed someone. And that is the only reason he was finally punished.
    Pretty sad someone has to die before a repeat offender gets locked up. Even worse is that if you kill someone with a car your punishment is less than if you just pull a knife and gut them. Makes no sense to me.

Thread Information