Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default G'Day from Melbourne, Australia

G'Day folks, I'm brand new to all this, so I hope this msg goes where it's supposed to! I'm a firefighter with the Metropolitan Fire Brigade here in Melbourne, and have been for 19 years. Looking forward to chatting with you! Cheers, Matt

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Welcome to the forums
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Thank you mate, looking forward to it!

Forum Member

How's it going Down Under! I have relatives in Queensland and also an aunt in Manly. Can't wait to visit in the near future!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Default Manly...nice place

G'Day. Manly's a nice place to be, as is Queensland. If you like beaches and the sun, then you're heading for the right spots. If it's rain you're chasing, come to Melbourne, but the best people are here! Cheers, Matt

Forum Member

I wish I could live where my aunt does in Manly, apparently she is right on the beach. I'm sure she paid a pretty penny for her property, but my guess is it was worth the money. Besides, being an occupational therapist pays quite a bit more than a firefighter!!

Forum Member

Yeah, I reckon it does! I'm looking at doing a 12 month exchange to a UK Fire Service. Do you get many UK firefighters online here?

Forum Member

Yea, there are several UK Firefighters that frequent the boards. Try posting something under the UK section. If that doesn't work, you'll definitely get replies under the Firefighting section.

Exactly how does an exchange with the UK Fire Service work? Is it some sort of agreement between Australia and UK fire departments?

IrishBrigade
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Welcome

Hello MFB Melbourne and good luck with your trip to the UK.

I know Melbourne well and notice that you have a good strong Union.

United Firefighters Union of Australia

Make sure you keep it that way.

Forum Member

G'Day Irish and thanks! We just had a huge rally for our Country Fire Authority comrades whose pay and conditions havent been signed off on yet. There should be some pics of it on the Victorian Branch link of the UFU main site. I am an organiser for the UFU Vic Branch as well as a MFB firefighter...I dont have any trouble filling my days in!

Forum Member

Yes mate, the MFB has a 'firefighter fellowship' program in place, with the US, UK Australia, New Zealand and Canada fire depts all taking part. The only stumbling block is you're expected to try and survive on your current rate of pay, regardless of the exchange rate. I am working with the union to try and change this, as I really want to get over to the UK.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Try this

Contact "Steve Dude" senior officer LFB --Union bloke--puts in an appearance on these forums--straight guy--he will give you a fair suck of the sauce bottle

Do not despair American type people I was just speaking Aussie to our mate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    straight guy--he will give you a fair suck of the sauce bottle

Do not despair American type people I was just speaking Aussie to our mate
    Thanks for the disclaimer, I was beginning to wonder where you were going with the above statements!

Forum Member

Thanks Kiwi...we gotta be careful not to confuse the septics with strine!

Forum Member

Sorry mate, try not to get caught up between an aussie and a kiwi....you wont know which way's up!! ANZAC forever...

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Ten Pound Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by mfbfirie
    Sorry mate, try not to get caught up between an aussie and a kiwi....you wont know which way's up!! ANZAC forever...

mfbfirie--as you can see by the title where I am originally from.But its OK I'm a Kiwi citizen now ! I did not realise that there was a exchange scheme for the Fire Service until you brought it up.

I do know in or around 1967 ish there was a big recruitment drive in England(particularly in London where I was serving)to come over here--only criteria was 4yrs in. The more qualifications you had the better--I was ET-Ladders-Proto-Compressed Air and they would have had me like a rat up a rhododendron, only fly in the ointment was my missus at that time! The usual story "I'll miss my Mum" her old lady still managed to kark it in the end but the chance was gone.
    I managed to get here in 1981, courtesy of the Brixton race riots, but thats a long story.

Forum Member

mfbfire, a guy in my service (Northumberland Fire and Rescue), was looking for an exchange someplace a while back. I'll see if he's still interested.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Nice one mate, can you let me know? Good on you! Cheers, Matt

FIGJAM

Hi Matt- welcome aboard. Spread the word, there's not too many of us Aussies here....
    Luke

Forum Member

Default Exchange

I know the rate of pay for exchange is a problem. 5 years ago on this board I was involved in answering some queries from US firefighters who wanted to come downunder to work during our summer. The simplest solution is an exchange program which got up and running only days after my suggestion on this board by Pres. Bill Clinton. (Makes me wonder who reads this board). One of the first exchanges involved one of the Parks firefighters who went to the US for 4 months. The main thing is to keep it simple and that requires the firefighter to be paid by their original organisation otherwise you could get work visa problems with immigration. If money is an issue then don't do the exchange.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Forum Member

G'Day Wombat,

The exchange program is run by AFAC, so its not a spurious thing. However, there are some serious questions as to whether its being run properly, and to the best advantage of all firefighters concerned. While it might be easy to say 'if money's an issue dont do it', it should be borne in mind that this is my career, and has been for 19 years. The exchange program offers excellent opportunities for learning, fellowship and experience, and is something I wish to pursue. If I can make it better for all firefighters following me who wish to work abroad too, then I will push in that direction. I'm not one to work on the "jack" system. The fact is that its not being run well, and its up to us to change it to make it viable for all.

Forum Member

Hi Matt,
    recently joined this myself. Just touching base as I'm in Gippsland. Info on my profile. Been a subscriber to the mag for a while but this extra bit is well worth the $'s.

Davo

Forum Member

Default Hey Melbourne

Just noticed your message.Hope all is well down there. I am from Canada,Newmarket On. that is just north of Toronto. I have been on the job for 18 years. Anyway I have a question for you if I may. There are a few of us ff and wives coming down in March for a wedding of a guy that used to be on the job with us. It is near Melbourne, the exact location escapes me right now. What are some places of interest and can you suggest any good watering holes for a pint.....or two.Reply if you can and thanks and stay safe
    PS Is the AFL season ongoing around march 17th.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Default You can pop over to Adelaide for the World games

Hi there ksaxon,

I am a firie in Sydney so can only suggest the main sights to see in Melb such as going for a drive on the Great Ocean Road and heading north of Melb for some fine wine tasting in the Pyrenees.

What you should do though is go all the way through to Adelaide to the World Police and Fire games which are on in March 2007! Good timing on your part. I am heading over there to compete with the NSW Firies for a couple of sports. Should be heaps of fun. Check out www.2007wpfg.com.au for more info.

Cheers
    Aussiefiregirl

Forum Member

Default Melbourne sight seeing

I am from Melbourne - still have a house there but currently working in Canberra. (Well the house was was there but anything could happen this summer)
    Recommended things to do or see in Melbourne -
    1. Puffing Billy steam train - easy to access either drive or metro train services to Belgrave.
    2. Healesville Animal Sanctuary - especially the birds of prey display and the platypuses - not far from Yarra valley wineries.
    3. Phillip Island Penguins parade - 100km from Melb so its a bit of a drive
    (Use Google map or Where is to plan where to go)
    4. Balloon flights over Melbourne or Yarra Valley wineries
    5. Joy flights around Melbourne - see my stepson Alex A. at the Royal Victorian Flying Club at Moorabin. He took me around Melbourne a couple of weeks ago in the clubs new Cirrus 20sr at sunset.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information