Forum Member

Default Austin FD Class #2

Does anyone have info. on how many people will be picked for Spring 2007? Does anyone know how many we can expect to not make it through the academy - etc? I'm 140 out and worried!!! Thanks....

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard the 2nd class will be around 40 cadets. I know the CPAT failure rate has been very low. I have heard of a few already from the top 100 taking jobs elsewhere and such so I would bet you are right around the cutoff line for the 2nd class. Also that is 6 months from now so I am sure some of your counterparts will get arrested, get bored, get other jobs, etc.

Start date for Class 109 (first class) should be August 21st. Better be in shape.

Forum Member

I don't know anything about the Austin FD recruiting process or what their rejection numbers are like, but I can tell you that on average in Houston FD it takes 150-200 potential recruits to make one class of 60. I was higher in the CSE ranking, but a friend of mine was around 120 and got into the first class available after his CSE date without sweating it.

Most people get rejected here in either the PAT run (Mile and a half in under 13:07), or the background check. The fact that you can only have 2 moving violations in the last 36 months also gets a lot of people.

Forum Member

I know San Antonio is failing 2 out of 3 applicants this hiring cycle, but since the hiring process for San Antonio is so different from Austin's, it's hard to compare the two. Austin doesn't do a polygraph or a BPAD, and San Antonio's background check is much more comprehensive. These three tests are where a lot of candidates are failed. Austin will probably have a lower failure rate for the CPAT because of the way they preparations each candidate was required to go through. The best way to get a job with Austin is to ace the oral board. I am in the 240's in Austin and not expecting to get a call, but it would be nice. Hopefully you applied to take the test in San Antonio at the end of July. The more departments you apply to, the better the chance you have with getting on with one.

MembersZone Subscriber

are you saying san antonio is failing 2 out of three applicants as you quoted or 2 out of three that make the cut after the test? i agree san antonio is extremly dificult, the test is almost what makes or breaks you if you have a clean record and score high on the test then you are golden, barring a major defect during cpat or bpad. corpus has a tough background investigation also. question on my background though, i'm just finishing college, and i missed jury duty once, got it all cleared up cause i was exempt, do you think that will hurt me if they ever find that, not sure how they will but there was a warrant for me for about a week.

Forum Member

As long as you are up front about it on your personal history statement, you should be fine. Nobody has a perfect background, including firefighters, and all they ask is if you have any problems in your past you be up front about it. If you don't and they find out about it in you background check you will definately be dropped. And if they don't catch it, the polygraph will, so list everything. And yes, San Antonio is hiring only 1 in 3 applicants.

Thread Information