Thread: Bummer

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bummer

Hey Guys,

I was far along in the hireing process at a fire department that I really wanted. Everything seemed to be going well. The background went smoothly and I had sceduled an appointment to take my Polygraph.

I just received a call today from the background investigator and said that my background was perfect but that the chief was looking for more experienced people and that I would be disqualified or I could voluntarily withdraw.

My question is how can I be disqualified for experience when experience was not a prerequasite? I can understand being passed over because other guys have more experience but how can I be disqualified?

I'm just bummed...I could taste it...and I didn't get the job because of something out of my hands...ahhh...their loss huh.

Forum Member

was it a civil service testing process? or just a turn in an application and they pick who they want?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm Not sure

All you had to do was turn in a Application and then they sent you a date to take the written. I think the Pre-Requasites were 21yrs old, Cpat, and GED.

Forum Member

I'm surprised that this department spent the money to run you through a background and polygraph just to tell that you weren't qualified. Sounds like their loss in more ways than one.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would not withdraw from the process. Something is fishy here. If the department is not going to hire you, depending on the agency and the Civil Service (or HR) rules they have to justify WHY they are not going to hire you. By voluntarily withdrawing from the process you make it easy for them to bypass you. In other words he tells Civil Service that you voluntarily withdrew from the process.

Also, if I were you I would want something in writing saying that you passed your background. It may raise a red flag for the next department as to why you passed a background and was not selected for hire. Over time people these things can get a little fuzzy. The more documentation you have the better. For the record I don't believe they will give you anything in writing stating that you passed. If you do opt out of the process, I would make this a stipulation.

As I recall, you are on the west coast. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about it. I would like to hear more about it.
    Paul@aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 07-06-2006 at 02:00 AM.

Forum Member

RSHOOK, in no way is the following meant to disrespect you in any way, I am not questioning your integrity and just want render a little insight from a PO's jaded point of view.

I am a cop and have conducted many background checks for our PO/Fire applicants. First off, none us know you and only you know the skeletons in your closet. If there is absolutely NO reason you would fail a background then you have nothing to worry about. I know each department varies in their hiring process, but the only time our Chief or any real type brass looks over anyone's app is prior to the oral board (final step in hiring process).

In my background screenings, I have unfortunately had to personally met two applicants who we (Dept) asked them to voluntarily withdraw their application because of certain background issues. For instance I asked this young, bright kid to withdraw prior to the poly because of a WSIN and NCIC hit. From what Ive been told, we are NOT allowed to let the individual know of the findings/circumstances due to the "agency" that might be interested in that party. WSIN is, for a lack of a better term a **** list, NCIC is a nationwide crime information center which give basic arrest records. For example "MR. BLONDE" lives in CA but he was arrested in AK two years ago and arrested in RI five years ago, we'd know what the crime was, when it happened and if the charges were dismissed, pending or if he was convicted. Another applicant was asked to withdraw because of discrepancies in the application and employer's character reference. The employer basically submarined him for whatever reason.

Please dont take this as an assault on your character because I am sure you are a great kid and I am sure that none of the above applies to you. I wish you well and please don't take this the wrong way, its just info. I agree with BCLEPORE, something sounds fishy and don't withdraw your app., because it makes it easier to sweep your app and hard work under a rug.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiifiveO
    RSHOOK, in no way is the following meant to disrespect you in any way, I am not questioning your integrity and just want render a little insight from a PO's jaded point of view.

I am a cop and have conducted many background checks for our PO/Fire applicants. First off, none us know you and only you know the skeletons in your closet. If there is absolutely NO reason you would fail a background then you have nothing to worry about. I know each department varies in their hiring process, but the only time our Chief or any real type brass looks over anyone's app is prior to the oral board (final step in hiring process).

In my background screenings, I have unfortunately had to personally met two applicants who we (Dept) asked them to voluntarily withdraw their application because of certain background issues. For instance I asked this young, bright kid to withdraw prior to the poly because of a WSIN and NCIC hit. From what Ive been told, we are NOT allowed to let the individual know of the findings/circumstances due to the "agency" that might be interested in that party. WSIN is, for a lack of a better term a **** list, NCIC is a nationwide crime information center which give basic arrest records. For example "MR. BLONDE" lives in CA but he was arrested in AK two years ago and arrested in RI five years ago, we'd know what the crime was, when it happened and if the charges were dismissed, pending or if he was convicted. Another applicant was asked to withdraw because of discrepancies in the application and employer's character reference. The employer basically submarined him for whatever reason.

Please dont take this as an assault on your character because I am sure you are a great kid and I am sure that none of the above applies to you. I wish you well and please don't take this the wrong way, its just info. I agree with BCLEPORE, something sounds fishy and don't withdraw your app., because it makes it easier to sweep your app and hard work under a rug.

That what makes this so unexpected. My background is spotless. I have never done drugs, gotten drunk, or commited any kind of criminal crime. I know the problem isn't my background. If I had something to hide it would make a lot of more sense. Thanks for the input.

Shook

Thread Information