Forum Member

Default Valparaiso, IN...Hiring

The City of Valparaiso is now accepting applications for the position of FF/EMT & FF/Medic. I believe apps are due on the 13th of July and agility test is scheduled for Aug 19.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Valparaiso Fire Department has four (4) steps to the process of becoming a firefighter. After completing the application, the applicant will be given 1) a water test; 2) an agility test; 3) a written test; and 4) an oral interview. The applicant must past all four (4) steps before being accepted.

ehhh, what is a "water test"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Valpo Fire "Water" Test

The water test is a very simple swim test. It consists of three parts. #1 Tread water for 3-5 minutes without sinking or grabbing onto the side. #2 Dive down 8-10 feet for a 5-10lbs. brick and set it on the side of the pool (you get two attempts). #3 swim one full lap (down and back) any stroke you wish (freestyle, breast stroke, backstroke, butterfly) without stopping or grabbing a lane marker or the side. The lap and brick test are not timed in anyway. I took it last year and if you're semi-comfortable in water you will do just fine. I am currently waiting to hear from them as I am supposedly the next on the list to hire. Good luck if you decide to test.

MembersZone Subscriber

that sounds like the easiest/funnest test ever. good luck and let us know if you get hired.

Forum Member

Any estimates on how many applicants usually test for Valpo.?

Forum Member

Valparaiso generally has anywhere from 30-75 candidates that show up for the agility test. Being a medic will greatly increase your chance of being hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is Valpo officially ALS? How many paramedics is Valpo going to hire this year? I heard Valpo is also looking for medics who are in exceptional shape. I hope thats the case!
    Last edited by futbolista1965; 07-08-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Valpo is working on going ALS right now. They need to hire at least 2 additional somewhere around the first of the year. Medics will move right up the list. As the process moves along there is the possibility of hiring up to 12 more in the next 1 1/2 years.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds good since Medic school's almost over.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default salary?

whats the starting salary for FF/EMT? and FF/Medic? Also what are the requirments for Valpo?

MembersZone Subscriber

Valpo is a good outfit, and they actually hace a chief that actually gives a $h!t.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default valpo testing

I know a guy that failed to get his application turned in by friday. He made a phone call to ms. able and was told it would be ok to turn it in on monday??
    My question is this: Are they making exceptions for alot of candiates or is this a special case? Also, what exactly is Valpo looking for in a FF (Aside from medic). How do they score the testing process? I have heard that (and i assume that i will get alot of slack for this comment) Valpo is pretty political to get on to, alot of "good old boy" politics if you will.

My desire to work for Valpo and my professional attitude, i believe will carry me far in the testing process. But is it going to help to become chums with a VFD member?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic
    I know a guy that failed to get his application turned in by friday. He made a phone call to ms. able and was told it would be ok to turn it in on monday??
    My question is this: Are they making exceptions for alot of candiates or is this a special case? Also, what exactly is Valpo looking for in a FF (Aside from medic). How do they score the testing process? I have heard that (and i assume that i will get alot of slack for this comment) Valpo is pretty political to get on to, alot of "good old boy" politics if you will.

My desire to work for Valpo and my professional attitude, i believe will carry me far in the testing process. But is it going to help to become chums with a VFD member?
    Valpo desires to hire the best overall candidate (physically fit, good attitude, professional, etc....). Paramedics are in great demand, but just because you have your patch; doesn't mean you are automatically hired. I know of medics that have been passed over because they were not the best candidate. The Swim test is pass/fail, Agility pass/fail (doesn't hurt to have the best time), Written is scored. Those that do exceptionally well with the tests are invited for interviews. Politics........Don't know what to say. I know candidates from out of state that have been hired. Can't see them being politcally connected...but if you say so. Many of the FF's had tested several times before actually getting hired (shows persistence). My advice...do well on the tests and shine during the interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Coming Soon/Good Luck to All

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck this week as the swim test and agility approach Thurs and Sat. I will see you all there Sat. for the agility, look for the big guy with glasses, and don't be afraid to say"Hi". Later

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How'd you do?

Just wanted to see how everyone did on Saturday. I passed as did a few other guys I know however a few others failed. Sounds like they wanna hire 5 between Nov. '06 and March '07, they just let out bids for thier third station. Good Luck to all with the written and interviews.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Dream Come True

It finally happened!!! I just received a conditional offer of employment from Valpo on Wed 11/29. I go for my psych and physical next Fri then just wait for Indiana State pension board approval. Looking to start around the first of February '07. Leaving a great EMS only job not too far away but Career FF/PM is something I have always wanted, A DREAM COME TRUE!!! I can't wait to start.

Thread Information