Thread: Amazing

Forum Member

Default Amazing

I guess the kid just wanted to meet the firefighters.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=50105

MembersZone Subscriber

"Everything transpired so quickly that firefighters were able to return to the ladder truck and complete their role in the parade without much fanfare," Bleiker said.

you mean they didn't even stick around and make sure the kid was ok? I guess I am just looking at the ems side of it. from what I make of this article it sounds as though they dislodged it, then just went right back to the truck and continued along the way of the parade, if you ask me any type of call during the parade or if you come across something like this at a parade you take the time to do things the right way, no matter if you have to stop being in the parade.

Forum Member

i would like to hear more on the story, but i can see where ur commin from fire0099881

Forum Member

Good grief, what else do you need to know other than a patient who had an obstructed airway, and never lost conciousness, now has a patent airway and is acting normally?

Yeah, maybe you fill out a PCR if you're concerned about butt covering. But there was not butts to cover.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Good grief, what else do you need to know other than a patient who had an obstructed airway, and never lost conciousness, now has a patent airway and is acting normally?

Yeah, maybe you fill out a PCR if you're concerned about butt covering. But there was not butts to cover.
    The "critics" will always have something to say!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190

doesn't that also qualify as patient abandonment? I would alway's stay for a little while to just make sure things are going ok, since you have to assess kids a little different than adult's, even look at what to do in CPR with a kid, if I remember right it's start rescue breathing and CPR for 1 min. before going to call 911, b/c a kid can not survive as long without oxygen.

I realize he didn't lose conciousness, but how do you know how long he was chocking on it before you rode on by

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881
    doesn't that also qualify as patient abandonment? I would alway's stay for a little while to just make sure things are going ok, since you have to assess kids a little different than adult's, even look at what to do in CPR with a kid, if I remember right it's start rescue breathing and CPR for 1 min. before going to call 911, b/c a kid can not survive as long without oxygen.

I realize he didn't lose conciousness, but how do you know how long he was chocking on it before you rode on by
    Have the newest AHA guidelines not changed the "wait 1 minute before calling"?

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881
    "Everything transpired so quickly that firefighters were able to return to the ladder truck and complete their role in the parade without much fanfare,"
    I read into this quote, that everything we smoothly enough and the Ladder obtained MC permission to release and THEN continued in the parade, most likely not in the spot they began in. Says nothing of abandoning. Says nothing maliciously. Doesn't even say that the parade took precidence over the sick child.
    Sounds to me as if they responded appropriately.
    And the comment about not knowing how long the child was choking before riding on by... the child NEVER lost conciousness. How long can someone go without O2 and maintain conciousness?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

thats good that they managed to save him and all but:

"Blake said the child was red in the face and unable to speak or expel the object. After giving the child a few back blows, the candy was dislodged and the child started breathing normally."

what happend to the Heimlich Maneuver???
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Truckie

doesn't that also qualify as patient abandonment?
    Only if the 4 year old was at the parade by himself. Here in Minnesota, we can release kids to their parents.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

freaking monday morning quarterbacks!!

Good job brothers!!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The "critics" will always have something to say!

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer
    freaking monday morning quarterbacks!!

Good job brothers!!
    No ***** hey!!

People, you need to lighten up!!! Just because it doesn't say something in the article doesn't mean it didn't happen! Don't take everything so freakin' literally. Do you think they might have left some details out of the article? There is NO mention of a time-line. It is mentioned that the kid was eating more candy before the firefighters left, so MY impression is that they made sure the kid was ok before continuing on. sheesh
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    thats good that they managed to save him and all but:

"Blake said the child was red in the face and unable to speak or expel the object. After giving the child a few back blows, the candy was dislodged and the child started breathing normally."

what happend to the Heimlich Maneuver???
    When I took the AHA CPR class we were taught to use back blows on peds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss2
    When I took the AHA CPR class we were taught to use back blows on peds.
    Back blows on peds under 1 yo. Heimlich for all others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shouldn't have done back blows...

Back blows are for newborns and infants 0-1 year. Everyone else gets abdominal thrusts.

Forum Member

Angry This is absofreakinglutely rediculous!!!

Jeez!!! The brothers did a good job. The object was dislodged, the kid is fine, and mom is happy. You or I for that matter were not there so none of us really have the full story. (of course everything that is reported in the papers happened exactly the way it was described and if the reported didn't write it down it didn't happen -note to thick-headed people: that was sarcasm) So you don't know if they did or didn't speak with the kid's mother about offering futher care.

Lay off. The brothers did a good job. The kid is alive because of them. You should be congratulating them on a good job. Instead you sit back criticize them based on a few short lines in an article.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 07-12-2006 at 01:28 AM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Nice! Sounds like a cool story to tell!

Thread Information