Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    Default Anyone ever had a home interview?

    What should I expect, people rummaging through stuff or a "so this is where you live" kinda thing?


  2. #2
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vortech302
    What should I expect, people rummaging through stuff or a "so this is where you live" kinda thing?
    What?!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I have a home interview coming up, where they come to your house and interview you. Should I expect them to come looking through drawers and whatnot or just come out and see what type of conditions I live in.

  4. #4
    Forum Member JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,268

    Smile Home Interviews??

    As a former Background Investigator I was involved in some home interviews. It was just to see how your surroundings were at home. We didn't go through any drawers or search your house....That's Illegal!! We just wanted to see how you lived. Do you pick up after yourself? Do you live in a some what clean environment? Etc. Don't panic... just make sure they feel at home when he or she comes in.

    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Jay's right. If they start "rummaging through your stuff", call the police. Then go get yourself a lawyer, because you not only got the job, but probably got a bonus with five zeroes on the end.

  6. #6
    Some Guy
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    I don't know but I here laughing.
    Posts
    999

    Default

    George,
    A good friend of mine is a cop here in the town I work for. (He and his massive family are from Booton!) He was telling me that when he was going through the process with NJ State Police that they had "tossed" his bedroom. I figured that when you had sighed the stacks of paper you gave them permission.
    This space for rent

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    George,
    A good friend of mine is a cop here in the town I work for. (He and his massive family are from Booton!) He was telling me that when he was going through the process with NJ State Police that they had "tossed" his bedroom. I figured that when you had sighed the stacks of paper you gave them permission.
    Dude, B-O-O-N-T-O-N! And say it with respect!

    It's possible that he did when he signed their stuff. But I would make damn sure that I did or I would be all over them. A warrantless search is a warrantless search. You can absolutely give consent, but it must be INFORMED consent and you have to be advised of your right to refuse and to terminate the search at any time. I understand that some may go along with it because they want the job, but that goes to the coercive nature of the search.

    And, wouldn't you think that a court may find that a pre-employment search of your home might just go beyond the boundary of "reasonable"? I don't care what job it is, they would never do a search of my house without a warrant.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    I agree with the post that says I would not expect the interviewer to go through your personal posessions.
    He doesn't need to. We all formulate impressions about people. He will pay attention to the folowing things:
    * Is your front grass mawed and edged?
    * Are there weeds in your flower bed?
    * Is your garage clean and neat?
    * Is your house address visible or is the paint on the curb faded?
    * What is the condition of your home? Is it clean, neat and orderly?
    * Is your car washed and clean?

    While these things might seem to be nit picky, they do say a lot about you as a person. When a Chief is evaluating a potential new employee, the way he keeps his home is an indicator to how he will treat his second home (the fire station).

    Having said this I have to go clean my garage. I have company coming over (LOL).

    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

  9. #9
    Some Guy
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    I don't know but I here laughing.
    Posts
    999

    Default

    I can't believe I for got the "N." 1,000 apologies!
    This space for rent

  10. #10
    Forum Member JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,268

    Default Home Interviews??

    I guess things are the same in Long Beach. Thats what we did when we did the backgrounds for Chief Lepores' Fire Department. George is right....if they toss your house ...thats illegal!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired L.B.F.D.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    826

    Default

    I tested for a FD in IL once. A PD Detective came to the house to interview my wife! I had to actually leave the house for the whole process. He didn't scope out my place or anything, just had a little "chat' w/the Mrs.

    I scored pretty well on the list. They actually notified me that they were considering me for employment, but when that process began the list expired and stopped the process!

    I had never heard of a FD interviewing a spouse seperately, OR stopping a hiring process once it's started because the list expired. It is a pretty good dept. to work for, but I choose not to test there again.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2
    I tested for a FD in IL once. A PD Detective came to the house to interview my wife! I had to actually leave the house for the whole process. He didn't scope out my place or anything, just had a little "chat' w/the Mrs.

    I scored pretty well on the list. They actually notified me that they were considering me for employment, but when that process began the list expired and stopped the process!

    I had never heard of a FD interviewing a spouse seperately, OR stopping a hiring process once it's started because the list expired. It is a pretty good dept. to work for, but I choose not to test there again.
    So, you fell for the ol' "PD Detective interviewing the wife" trick, huh?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts