Forum Member

Default Getting started...

My questions are kind of just reassurance because I've done a lot of research, and talking to a lot of people. I just want any and all opinions. My plan is as follows...

This upcoming semester I am taking the required EMT-B class. When I finish that in December, I plan on working fulltime as an EMT to get some general experience in the field.

If all goes well I would then attend the local Fire Academy in January, and complete that sometime in July. After that I want to still work fulltime as an EMT-B, and part time as a PFC in my area to gain as much experience as possible. Then after working as an EMT/PFC for a year I want to apply to Paramedic school. When I get accepted, and get my national medic certification everything would be completed as my goal is to become a Firefighter/Paramedic.

At my local college there are a lot of various Fire Technology and certificate type classes for the Firefighter 1 classification, from officer classes, to investigation, driving, and so on. I know getting a fulltime paid job on a Department is hard, that's why I want to go in with as many qualifications, and as much experience as I can when I actually get to the point where I can apply.

Does this sound like a solid plan? Any help all of you can give me would be great, and if you have any thoughts or ideas, please feel free. I thank you all in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

paramedic school is like a full time job and you have to treat it like that. Don't spread yourself too thin... you won't make it. Be prepared to put your whole life on hold when you start it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bka447
    paramedic school is like a full time job and you have to treat it like that. Don't spread yourself too thin... you won't make it. Be prepared to put your whole life on hold when you start it.
    I understand that. However, I've done a lot to date, and college never really challenged me. I take everything I do seriously, and with over 60 college units, my overall GPA is approx. a 3.89.

Plus I've taken CNA classes, I have my class A license and many other certifications to my name.

It's only 3 days a week, and I have an amazing memory, so I'm pretty sure I will survive especially because it's something I really want to do.

Plus my support system and family are amazing, if it came down to it and I decided to only do that at the time, then that's what I would do.

Thread Information