Thread: Elevator Rescue

Forum Member

Default Elevator Rescue

Im looking for GOG or SOP's on elevator rescue. If anyone has some info on these i would love to see and even get a hold of a copy of your SOP or GOG.. Feel free to respond directly to my email. tpelke@winnipeg.ca Thanx in advance...

Truckie

Check your email.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Hey SPFD.. I didnt recieve anything..

Truckie

Opps, operator error, it didn't send. Should be there shortly now.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Forum Member

Got it thanx very much!!

Truckie

Sent it, hope it gets there, it's a 10.7 meg file!
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFD, could you email it to me as well? Send it to brian.turcotte@<remove>gmail.com

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey SPFD can you send me that SOG also, DothanFireCapt@firehousezone.com ? Thanks in advance.

Truckie

Cap. sent the file,let me know if you get it.

Rum
    George Mason

Forum Member

The Rescue Squads in Washington, DC do all of the elevator rescues in the city. Each of the squads does 2-3 a day. This is what we do:

Go to the building. Bring a halligan bar, a set of elevator tools, an elevator pole, flashlights & radios.
    Ask the security guard / doorman what floor it's on.
    Go to the lobby. There's usually a keyhole in the lobby, as well as the basement and top floor hoistway doors, if not on every floor.
    Open the hoistway door and look in the shaft.
    Locate the elevator.
    Look down, and see if there's an emergency stop within reach.
    If it's a hydraulic elevator, you'll have to cut power at the bottom regardless. You may need to access a control room.
    Hit the stop, if you can. We carry an elevator pole, sometimes this helps.
    Yell up to the elevator & let them know that the FD is there, and that they'll be out in a moment.
    Ride one of the working elevators, or take the stair, to the floor you think the elevator is on. Send someone to the floor above.
    Open the hoisway door above the elevator, with an elevator tool or by poling across.
    Turn off the elevator at the roof of the elevator.
    Open the hoistway doors at the stopped floor.
    Push open the car doors, or have the guy upstairs open the car doors by rolling the actuating wheels. Usually when the power is cut, it will wheel free. If not, you may have to pop the belt off.
    If the car is stopped between floors, make sure that the victim can't fall into the shaft.
    Shut the hoistway doors, and leave the elevator off.

On odd situations, we may have to bring people through the roof hatch, drift the elevator to a floor, or some other odd ball thing. 99% of the time, the car has stopped within a foot or two of it's stop, and simply won't open. Before you do anything crazy, completely cut power to the elevator for a minute, and restart them. This gives them an opportunity to 'reboot'.

Yesterday, at work, we had one stopped at the bottom of a 100' blind shaft, in the Metro (subway). We couldn't access the top, and the metro staff didn't have keys for the elevator rooms (nor did we, oddly). The car was off by a few inches. Luckily, we could slap the E-stop on the roof with the elevator pole, but this did not release the interior doors. Usually, you can unlatch these by pushing on the striker plate and pushing the doors in their normal direction of operation. Some force is needed to overcome the motor. This time, we couldn't over come the motor, so we unbolted one of the actuating arms, and let the people out through 'half' a door.

Forum Member

If its not too late, could I get that SOG also?

tcfd127@aol.com

Thanks

Forum Member

I'll probably be able to send it from work, though what is written is not always what is done...

...really, the DC squads run A LOT of elevator rescues. The downtown squad probably runs 3 a day, at least.

Truckie

The downtown squad probably runs 3 a day, at least.
    Wow, that's impressive. I never did that many a day in my almost 12 years as a journeyman elevator mechanic in a major metropolitain area; unless there was some extraordinary circumstances, like loss of power during a storm...
    George Mason

Forum Member

Yeah, it's ridiculous. But they're pretty good at it. Rarely do we have to wait for the elevator man, and rarer still do we actually damage the elevator. It's usually a 5 minute thing once we're on the scene. And we always leave the elevator off, so that some sort of repairman has to go put it back in service.

Forum Member

Smile elevator sops

SFPDrum can I get the SOP. We just had our first elevator emergency, the first thing everyone thought was use the JAWS.

Forum Member

Sorry on the typo SPFDRum, my e-mail is mcafd@nycap.rr.com

Truckie

SFPD? Oh man, that hurts....

I sent, let me know if you recieve it, as it is a fairly large file.
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

We do about 3-5 a day as well in Balto, and basicaly use the same procedures as DC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any chance I could get a copy of the SOG also? email: jwarren@pleasanttownship.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the SOG

Mark:

I got the files viewed them quickly, they look good thanks for the help.

Stay safe.

Capt. Gary Bullard
    Maple Ave. Fire Co.

PS, A couple of other guys have asked for them I will forward it to them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Guys, I know its been sometime since anyone posted here, but I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to fwd me along a copy of the SOPs also? Thank You

-Chris

Forum Member

Talking Me 2 Please

Hell can I have it too SPFDRum? I'm felling left out as if you have the holy grail and I need a peek (lol). I've never ran in to a elevator problem yet but would sure like to know how to handle them. Hell we have elevator keys but I've never seen them used.... I figure if your too lazy to take the stairs then it sucks to be them..JUST KIDDEN but I sure could use a copy if you could please...

resqtek@sympatico.ca

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking for SOP'S for elevator recues.
    rodeohoser@aol.com[/email]
    Last edited by rodeohoser; 12-30-2006 at 02:02 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFRRum, is there any way you could email me your elevator S.O.P., send to:
    Engine6bfd@earthlink.net.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFRRum, count me in...

G_R_I_S_U@hotmail.com

Thread Information