Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Best tools of the trade

In reading the ax vs halligan discussion in the "tricks of the trade" thread, I began wondering; What is the most important tool or piece of equipment we have around the fire house? I know the MOST important tool is the "ol gray matter" but after that what tool or piece of equipment would you say is the most important or most revolutionary or has made the most difference to the job either for all time or in modern time or reciently and (here's the kicker) WHY? I hope this makes for an interesting thread.
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

Forum Member

Default Most popular tool

It may vary from dept. to dept. but the tool that is grabbed the most is the haligan. It is the first tool grabbed on jaws call, and also the first tool grabbed when taking a hose into a building. The WHY is its versatility it can pry, poke, bend and break.

Forum Member

Default Steam Engine

If we are going all time and most revolutionary, I'd have to go with the steam engine. Just for the simple fact that it made life tons easier for the early jakes. Didn't have to have 10 to 20 guys pumping up and down for hours.

SCBA, for obvious reasons. Also, automatic detection and sprinkler systems.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

uhhh....WATER! A halligan cant put out the fire, it can only get you there.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

I would say your brain is the best tool of the trade.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    But Vinnie, everybody can bring their halligan or can to a job. I've been to a bunch of jobs where FF, expecially Chief Officers, had been ill-equipped under your description.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    This is a very hard question to answer first off I'd have to agree with VinnieB.Second I would say training/education of the fire service. So I guess the tool I'd pick would be the TIC it has made life a little easier.BE SAFE!!

Forum Member

Several tools come to mind but the chainsaw has to be up there, probably helps more firefighters than any other single tool. Helps the structure guys with ventilation and forcible entry, helps the wildland guys cutting fire line and dropping snags.

If you have ever ventilated a roof with an axe, cut line through heavy brush with a brush hook, or dropped a snag with a misery whip you should appreciate the saw. (I've only done two of the 3 but I've seen people drop trees with the crosscut saw that looks like alot of work.)
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 07-09-2006 at 10:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default another use

Quote Originally Posted by LCFD302
    It may vary from dept. to dept. but the tool that is grabbed the most is the haligan. It is the first tool grabbed on jaws call, and also the first tool grabbed when taking a hose into a building. The WHY is its versatility it can pry, poke, bend and break.
    And when things go to S++T you can use it as an anchor point to bail

Halligan is in IMHO the most useful tool
    (water is a commodity, hose and ancillary accessories are appliances)

George you are so right about IC's not having grey matter.

Be Safe
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    But Vinnie, everybody can bring their halligan or can to a job. I've been to a bunch of jobs where FF, expecially Chief Officers, had been ill-equipped under your description.

Oh thats because thier tool isn't maintanined properly....rusty and not sharp being a few reasons.
    IACOJ Member

Talking

My opinion is the "HALIGAN" for a hand tool with the new "T-N-T" following second place. But I agree you needs Brains to get the job done. Doesnt matter if you have the greatest tool box in hand but if you dont know how to use the tools to their greatest strengths you might as well go empty handed.

Forum Member

I love the Halligan tool. I have used it for so many things. One that comes to mind recently was pulling a seal from a front hub on a big Pierce. I had tried every screwdriver and big pry bar, even tire changing irons, that was on my shelf to get that sucker to budge but in the end one swift yank with a Halligan and it popped right out.

They are also useful for emergency incidents too I can't count how many times I have had people calling for Jaws to open up the door of a car, one or two quick yanks with a Halligan and that sucker was open in way less time that it would take to manuver those heavy Jaws into place and get them operating. Simple, stupid and effective.

Having come from the ranks of the dirt chuckers though I would also have to put in a plug for the good ole fire shovel too, properly sharpened of course. You can use it to cut down trees, scrape the ground, build dikes, and of course when nature calls it can be used to dig a hole.

Birken

Forum Member

I like the pick headed axe for a good structure fire, it can be used for just about everything. Now for MVAs yes I like the haligan. For a Brush fire I like having a brush truck! lol

Seriously I would have to say the best "tool" you can have is a good partner. They may just save your life.

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

I would say that jet axe was the best tool of all time it was loud fun and entertaining

Forum Member

Halligan as it is the most basic tool .... can be used for so many purposes.

Second most important is a 10'-15' piece of rope. This is such an underused tool today, especially by the younger generation. An example of this we had a excavator fire a couple of weeks ago .... the crew was standing on top of the excavator holding a line cooling it down. I whipped out my handy rope, tied the line to the the macheniery and presto .... all they had to do was guide the nozzle now instead of holding the line in almost 100 degree heat. While it didn't save any lives .. it did make that job easier and saved some of thier energy for the 3 other fires we had later in the day. The younger guys were sorta mazed that something that simple could make thier lives easier.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you La Educator for that info. If you didnt get my other thank you from the Fire Hydrant thread. Thank you for clarifying. : )

Melissa

Thread Information