Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFG Rumor?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually the House passed an increase in funding to $511 mil for AFG, $111 mil for SAFER. The White House said $293 AFG, $0 SAFER. The Senate was proposing and looked like it was going to pass the same numbers as the House. Only 3 in the House voted no on the proposal, wasn't looking like many in the Senate were going to vote against it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle
    Well, the rest of us must have missed the boat. My understanding is the 3 top grant writers (we'll leave nameless ) provide iron clad guarantees to their clients. If the client does not recieve a grant, the top 3 will provide the funding plus 10%. All of this has been underwritten by a local insurance agent (call Earl for rates).
    Hey-hey!! As good as those three are, premiums would come in at pretty much pure profit. Shoot, i could just lay the cash under the mattress instead of starting a bogus off-shore insurance company. "Grand Cayman Grant Insurance Company, how may i direct your call?"

Well, i hope the fun starts soon--the natives have gone beyond restless. Loony is a word that comes to mind....

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Actually the House passed an increase in funding to $511 mil for AFG, $111 mil for SAFER. The White House said $293 AFG, $0 SAFER. The Senate was proposing and looked like it was going to pass the same numbers as the House. Only 3 in the House voted no on the proposal, wasn't looking like many in the Senate were going to vote against it.
    Brian, is that real or part of the thread fun??
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, that's the real part of the thread. I was a little off on numbers, but at least they're higher than what I said.

From CFSI on June 7th:

HOUSE APPROVES FY07 HOMELAND SECURITY SPENDING BILL

On Tuesday, June 6th, the House of Representatives approved H.R. 5441, the Fiscal Year 2007 Homeland Security spending bill. The bill, which provides a 6% increase in funding for the operations and activities of the Department of Homeland Security, was approved by a vote of 389 - 9.

The House approved two amendments that increased funding for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (FIRE Act) and the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) program. The first amendment, approved on Thursday, May 25th, provides a $111 million increase for the two programs. The amendment increased funding for the FIRE Act by $41 million and SAFER by $70 million. The amendment was introduced by Congressman Martin Sabo (MN), the Ranking Member of the House Subcommittee on Homeland Security Appropriations. Co-sponsors of the measure included Congressman Curt Weldon (PA), Congressman Steny Hoyer (MD), Congressman John Sweeney (NY), Congressman Rob Andrews (NJ), Congressman Timothy Murphy (PA), Congressman Bill Pascrell, Jr. (NJ), Congressman Jeb Bradley (NH), and Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones (OH).

On Tuesday, June 6th, the House approved the second amendment introduced by Congressman Tom Price (GA) and Congressman Randy Kuhl (NY) to increase funding for the two programs by $4.2 million dollars. The amendment provides $2.1 million for each program and was approved by voice vote.

The final bill, as approved by the House, provides $543.1 million for the FIRE Act and $112.1 million for SAFER. The Senate Appropriations Committee will now begin consideration of the spending measure.

If I haven't said it before, everyone on here should belong to NVFC, IAFC, CFSI and the others that represent us in Washington. As some of you heard on my PodCast with Senator Dewine, and Congressmen Weldon and Hoyer we have some major allies on the Hill but they need to know we support them in return. The organizations do that. We need to support them whether or not you agree or disagree with individual decisions they are on our side.

- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er

If I haven't said it before, everyone on here should belong to NVFC, IAFC, CFSI and the others that represent us in Washington. As some of you heard on my PodCast with Senator Dewine, and Congressmen Weldon and Hoyer we have some major allies on the Hill but they need to know we support them in return. The organizations do that. We need to support them whether or not you agree or disagree with individual decisions they are on our side.

- Brian
    Truer words were never spoken folks. Grants are a political process and like it or not, if you fail to voice your opinions and support the programs, they will die a slow death at the hands of other, less concerned individuals, with their own political agendas. BC79er is right on the money here. Get active, get involved, stay informed!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, the rest of us must have missed the boat. My understanding is the 3 top grant writers (we'll leave nameless ) provide iron clad guarantees to their clients. If the client does not recieve a grant, the top 3 will provide the funding plus 10%. All of this has been underwritten by a local insurance agent (call Earl for rates).
    Well, as I have been under the weather with strep the past week, have missed (OBVIOUSLY) some of the excitement on here! Wow. Had no idea. Gee, Earl, that's mighty nice of you to underwite all that BS....And, Bugle, you're doing a great job marketing this....and guys, if you're buying this? I've gotta bridge to sell ya down in the swamps, or is it an island in the wetlands???

The ONLY guarantee I know about is that if you don't apply I GUARANTEE you can't win. AND, if you LIE, I GUARANTEE it will bite you on the @ss... Oh, and I do guarantee my fees. LMAO. Gotta have that.

PS: two more guarantees in life: death and taxes, guys! (and on that cheerful note...LOL)... my exit - stage left... ~alana

dixiechicknc, hope you are feeling better. See that is what happens when you burn the candle at both ends! Immune system goes down and the "young uns" bring it home and you catch it. Told you you should have gone and got some "sea air" like last year! LOL! Hang in there.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

As they say,

"Laughter is the best medicine"

MembersZone Subscriber

As they say,

"Laughter is the best medicine"
    That it is, that it is.... (Although, would rather have the laughter while on the beach - getting Kurt's 'sea air' - then I'd be in fine form! And no doubt, better in no time!)

Hey, Bugle? You need a side job? I could use some help marketing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Dixie,

According to the wife I should accept any position that takes us down South, I don't know why (she was born and raised in New Orleans).

With that in mind, these are my terms:

6 figure income
    company car
    11 months vacation (I'm willing to do a little work)
    2 years severance package

But the deal killer, no grits at the board meetings (I do have my limits).

MembersZone Subscriber

Dixie,

But the deal killer, no grits at the board meetings (I do have my limits).
    Bugle, If I had half of the above, I'd be happy! Although, I insist on grits at every company function! Grits and butter for breakast, grits and cheese and shrimp for dinner, etc. So, deal breaker, there...Although, since I am the company, I guess I do have a company car....LOL.

Hey? I'll drive you and your wife around to all the BBQ rest. in Lexington if you're ever down this way...after Lexington BBQ and sweet tea, you may want to change your offer!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicknc
    That it is, that it is.... (Although, would rather have the laughter while on the beach - getting Kurt's 'sea air' - then I'd be in fine form! And no doubt, better in no time!)
    Are you sure Kurt suggested "sea air"? I think he keeps the germs away with "Seagram's air". I've heard that George Dickel and Jack Daniels like to karaoke with him also. (rumors, rumors, rumors--not the Fleetwood Mac album either!!)

Alana, glad to see you back. We passed the flu around the house a few times, glad that's over!!

earl ("orange whip? orange whip? orange whip???" John Candy in Blues Brothers)

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got a good rumor... well really not a rumor.. Harry Carter's AFG Road Show will be stopping in Bourbonnais Thursday night (my part-time department) and I will be working there that night.

I think that's pretty cool k3twpfire. I've been following his blog and I knew he was getting close to Illinois so I was wondering where he would stop. Ask him if he knows when the grants will start!
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll post after the visit on how it went.

K3,

Is it supposed to be this Thursday as in the 20th? I knew he went near here on the 13th. Dana, IN is just a hop, skip, and a jump from where I work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, this Thursday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    K3,

Is it supposed to be this Thursday as in the 20th? I knew he went near here on the 13th. Dana, IN is just a hop, skip, and a jump from where I work.
    At the risk of offending fellow Hoosiers...
    I just looked at a map and the the ony thing Dana, IN appears to be a "hop, skip and a jump" from is West Dana.

k3twp, if Thursday wasn't my ony night at home this week, i'd be tempted to take a road trip over your way. Saved you from feeling obligated to offer to feed my wife and i.

earl (we may not eat much, but we like to eat good!!)

Harry & Jack visited us last week. They are a pair of great guys.

Thread Information