Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFG Rumor?

Forum Member

Default AFG Rumor?

I heard a rumor a few weeks ago. Has anyone else heard this? A fire chief told me after the computer scoring was complete and incorrect applications were thrown out that AFG has enough money to fund the rest of the applications.

I have a hard time believing this. Any truth?

Tis a wonderful dream. Likely, I think not.

I don't suppose the Chief gave his source?

MembersZone Subscriber

Idle hands get the rumor mill flying. There is no way that rumor can be true. With just over 18,000 applicants, meaning 12,000-13,000 did not get past the computer and the remaining 5,000-6,000 could be instant winners. Then there would be no reason for a peer review (which was completed), what just to rank them in who gets funded first. Not likely.

Somebody is getting their chain yanked.
    Last edited by onebugle; 07-09-2006 at 06:32 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There were some incomplete/ineligible applications tossed, but they don't even make it to peer review anyway. And there weren't that many. That's how the highest Application number is always less than the total number of applications. Computer scoring is also done within a week of submission, probably sooner than that. So before tax day the apps headed to peer were already decided.

Plus as the esteemed Bugle has alluded to, there were way more $$ requested in those 12-13K worth of apps that didn't make the computer than AFG has. Total requests are usually more than 4 times available funds, so no way this could ever happen.

What happened last year was a bug was discovered in the grading software and 300 apps that were supposed to have been in peer and did not make it were reviewed during fire prevention peer review. I think maybe 1 or 2 of those were awarded, the rest were given their fair shake but still denied.

I must say that its refreshing to hear a new rumor, at least we're not beating the old ones to death about no longer awarding trucks and other such silly notions.

Forum Member

He did not state his source. I'm guessing it was a "he said, she said, that they said" kind of deal. Knowing this chief he didn't start it nor did he have any malicious motive to get the local departments encouraged for no reason.

Like I said before I doubted the story but I thought I would throw the rumor out there to "People in the Know". At least it gives us something else to discuss while waiting for NOFA & 10q's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Well.....

At this point I'm starting to think the AFG is a rumor in itself.....
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard a rumor that any department within 15 miles of LaPorte, Indiana are no longer eligible for the AFG. If they are awarded their award will be given to a department within 60 miles of Chicago. Any truth to this??

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That wasn't a rumor, I think that one of the 2006 FAQ's that DHS added to their site to clarify the new rules wasn't it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think i feel my chain being jerked!!

earl (in LaPorte, but only 58 miles from 86th & Stoney Island!!)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Once again, Earl manages to find the gray area. Guess this will have to go to OMB for clarification and a signature....

I heard the AFG was actually going to help departments in actual need this time around.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Once again, Earl manages to find the gray area. Guess this will have to go to OMB for clarification and a signature....
    I did hear this, however OMB will be reviewing the situation for clarification in September, with a signature expected in November....... Unless (from what I hear) the person in charge of the clarification decides to take a Labor Day vacation, then the schedule will be pushed back a few weeks. The only bright spot is that if you send the clarification information to OMB and it contains a postmark from Pennsylvania, then you are assured that it will at least get signed. (they always favor the Pennsylvainia postmarks)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, then since I'll be up north in a couple of weeks to vacation and hit Expo I can send something from PA and meet the postmark requirement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, the rest of us must have missed the boat. My understanding is the 3 top grant writers (we'll leave nameless ) provide iron clad guarantees to their clients. If the client does not recieve a grant, the top 3 will provide the funding plus 10%. All of this has been underwritten by a local insurance agent (call Earl for rates).

Obviously there are some departments out there that need to clarify their drug policy.... It is NOT supposed to be whoever has drugs has to share....

One of my Assistant Chiefs heard today (CNN He quoted) that the NOFA
    will be signed by the end of the week. YMMV.....

Forum Member

Since I started this rumor mill mess I will go ahead and tell you the truth.
    AFG has been eliminated! NOFA will be signed tomorrow and all funds will be forwarded to local law enforcement officers for the purchase of stop sticks and whistles. Sorry to break the news.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er

What happened last year was a bug was discovered in the grading software and 300 apps that were supposed to have been in peer and did not make it were reviewed during fire prevention peer review. I think maybe 1 or 2 of those were awarded, the rest were given their fair shake but still denied.

Brian I had 4 departments of mine that were funded after finally being reviewed in that second round.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle
    Well, the rest of us must have missed the boat. My understanding is the 3 top grant writers (we'll leave nameless ) provide iron clad guarantees to their clients. If the client does not recieve a grant, the top 3 will provide the funding plus 10%. All of this has been underwritten by a local insurance agent (call Earl for rates).
    Oh onebugle, we will have to get even on that one! LOL! But if Eral is willing to underwirte it, I say lte;s go for it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle
    Boy I feel sorry for whoever he's talking about that's going to cost some money there. Aren't you glad you're not one of them either Kurt? Alana?

Forum Member

Default Heres a rumor I heard

hot off the Rumor mill press.... The level of funding is still up in the air and they may chop a significant amount of money out of the 2006 pot from 750 down to 500 or even 350.

Any one, any one, beuhler, beuhler, ferris beuhler

Thread Information