Thread: my background

MembersZone Subscriber

Default my background

This is a question to anyone who has conducted or knows much about background. i know hawaii50 said in another thread that he has done them before.
    I'm wondering, when I was twenty, I missed jury duty becuase I forgot to send in my exemtion form ( i was exempt due to college) the county issued a warrant for me but I got it cleared up a week later when I discovered I had not sent in my exemption form. The warrant was removed and all. Will this show up on a an extensive background check using ncic or wsic and what not. i'm a little concerned about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The question is not whether or not it will show up. The question is whether or not you will try to cover it up. Whatever the members of the forum will tell you be assurred that any attempt to cover something up will result in immediate termination.
    For the record I would not expect this to be a problem as you got it cleared up right away. Not telling the truth because you didn't think it would show is grounds for immediate dismissal.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfireifghters.com

Forum Member

Trevolp you have nothing to worry about. That will NOT show up on your record. Recalled warrants can't be placed in NCIC and don't about WSIN it doesn't apply here. I agree with the chief, don't hide it. If it comes up tell them exactly what happened. That minor issue shouldn't be a problem or a DQ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Paul's 100% correct. Always tell thre truth.

Besides, forgetting gto send in a jury duty form is a very common mistake, a mistake most likely made by one or more of your interviewers.

MembersZone Subscriber

i guess my next question is, do i just throw it out there or do i wait to be asked, for instance, on a background questionaire. or should i call HR and ask what they think

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp
    i guess my next question is, do i just throw it out there or do i wait to be asked, for instance, on a background questionaire. or should i call HR and ask what they think
    There is no reason to "throw" any information out there. If the app asks "Has a warrant ever been issued for your arrest?" You answer yes and then explain. If the interviewer asks about warrants, you answer yes and then explain.

Believe me, if they are completing a thorough b/i, that information will already be known by them. They will be certain to ask.

When they ask, don't be too sheepish about how you handled it. If what you are telling us is the truth, you did the right thing. That is a positive.

Forum Member

I would be up front about it if asked in you background statement. The more up front you are the less searching the background investigator will have to do. If they find out about something later that you were not up front about they probably won't be happy.

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds good to me, thanks for all the help. all of y'all have provided me with valuable info. that's right folks, i said y'all

Thread Information