Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber chadf652's Avatar

Arrow Need tips and advice :)

I'll tell you a little bit about me I'm 20years old I lost my house in 2001 to a fire it was a total lost i came home one day from out of town pulled in the driveway and the house was on fire so thats kinda the whole reason i want to be a firefighter I have a few questions how long is the academy and all the training usually??? Do you have to be exactly 21 when you apply??? One more question for the firefighters that wear contacts is contacts a problem with the firefighting field??? Do you guys sleep with you contacts in at the fire station??? thanks for all the help If you guys have any tips or advice for me during the interview process or any other part of the hiring process it would be greatly appreciated thanks alot!

-Chad-

Which state are you in? That will help us alot in answering your questions.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

I live in Indiana

MembersZone Subscriber Shoreman22's Avatar

Chad,

I'm not sure about your state, but in general terms, the fire service accepts members at age 18.

The basic firefighter course is usually about 120 hours. Academies offer it in a three-week full-time program, or over the course of about four months on a couple nights per week and some weekends. If you're looking to go career, you'll likely be sent for the quick program.

Departments vary greatly on their training regimen. Some train formally once per month; others train once or twice per week. Naturally, the busier departments don't train as much because they're getting their education in the field.

As far as contacts go, it's a challenge. I haven't worn them in years, but I can remember a few frustrating incidents: getting dust in the eyes during a brush fire; having them wash out after getting hit in the face with water, and the like. However, it's nice to have them when you're wearing your mask (not that you can see a hell of a lot while fighting inside a structure.

If it's a career you're after, you might want to consider joining a volunteer department first to get a taste. While I certainly wouldn't want to talk you out of a great career, I've seen many recruits quit during basic training because the job wasn't what they thought it would be - better to find that out before you go through all the motions of getting hired - which is no overnigt process.

Another thing to consider - many career departments also run EMS and, as part of being new, you may be required to ride BLS for a few years before you get assigned to an engine or truck company. If patient care doesn't appeal to you, you should pick your department carefully.

Good luck!
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Yea in Indiana you have to be 21 to be a firefighter i wish it was 18! haha I have a question for you shoreman22 or any other firefighter that wears contacts now or has before do you guys sleep in ur contacts when you goto bed at the firestation???

MembersZone Subscriber

Career or vollie doesn't matter--if you're asleep when the tones go out, it's time to fly, not put in contacts. I did LASIK so i wouldn't have to mess with spectacles in a mask, and i'm glad i did it. If you're planning to continue with contacts, it would be best if you could sleep in them with no harmful side effects.
    earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadf652
    Yea in Indiana you have to be 21 to be a firefighter i wish it was 18! haha I have a question for you shoreman22 or any other firefighter that wears contacts now or has before do you guys sleep in ur contacts when you goto bed at the firestation???
    Yes, I wear contacts that you can keep in overnight. I also work with guys that take their contacts out at night and simply wear their glasses, which in my opinion sucks. As mentioned above, you might consider laser surgery.. I am because I'm tired of fighting with contacts.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Thread Information