Thread: Relocation?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Relocation?

I've been volunteering at my local Fire department for over a year now, and I have just about completed my Firefighter 1 certification, and will be completing level 2 soon after. I live in NH, and there are very few full time departments, and the competition is intense. Is there a possibility for me to live in NH and apply in another state? I would be more then happy to move for this.

Thank you for your help!

P.S. I want nothing more then to become a career firefighter. I'm willing to do damn near anything. I've been reading everything I can, and talking to anyone who might be able to give me another hint to breaking into the field. Any information that may aid me in my goal would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

You can apply anywhere you want - as far as you're willing to travel for testing and interviewing, anyway - as long as you meet the minimum application requirements for the FD you are applying to.

If the department you are testing for has residency requirements, they will not be enforced until the day you report to work or some time frame afterwards. If need be, this time frame can usually be negotiated.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Relocation?

Thank you for the reply!

Should I first take any exams for that area, then apply to the departments? Also, how often does a station look for Firefighters? I noticed that my local large city only starts the process but once every two years, is this the case with many departments, or is this department very strict with too many applicants?

Forum Member

Should I first take any exams for that area, then apply to the departments?
    Exams and applications are tied together. Generally what you do is register for an exam being offered by a department, and applicants who pass the exam are invited to continue the process.
    Also, how often does a station look for Firefighters?
    A typical career fire department will offer an exam to applicants every one or two years. Volunteer or combination departments usually accept volunteer applicants at any time as long as there are openings, or else you can get on their waiting list.

Generally, career applicants who pass the written test proceed to a general physical capability test, and if they pass that, to an oral interview. Following the oral interview, successful applicants will be placed on an eligibility list from which the department can draw from as openings occur. Further testing or interviewing may occur before being appointed to a firefighting position.

Making the list is not a guarantee of a job.

I would suggest you start taking tests and interviewing everywhere you can, even with departments you may not necessarily be interested in working for, in order to get the testing and interviewing experience. The first two or three times through are a steep learning curve, but afterwards you'll improve you chances by knowing how to prepare and what to expect.

Good luck.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Thread Information