Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Leather helmet refurb help

Sorry if this has been covered before but I was unable to find much with the search so here it is.

Does anyone have any tricks to stripping the paint from a leather helmet? My N5A has been painted several times and has lost much of the detail in the stitching and scroll work. Not to mention that the most recent job looks like it was done with a pine branch.

I'm wondering if there are any chemical strippers out there that won't damage leather? Or another form of mechanical stripping besides hand sanding.

I'm also looking to do some reshaping. Anyone want to share their tricks on how to get the leather more plyable so it can be shaped without cracking?

I plan on repainting with a high-temp engine paint as I have heard manypeaple have been happy with its results. Anyone have suggestions on what would be a good primer to use or anything else to treat the leather with before it is painted.

thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firestanggt
    I'm also looking to do some reshaping. Anyone want to share their tricks on how to get the leather more plyable so it can be shaped without cracking?
    Use steam on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen 2 helmets done with 1-shot sign paint. Its about $10 and can probably do 2 or 3 helmets with a can. It is very nice and holds up well. Once you strip all the paint, heat your oven up to about 275 or 300. Set it there for a few minutes. Get some gloves and pull it out to shape it. This worked great for him in the winter time as he could get out side quickly while it is hot and then the cold air helped firm it back up.

Of course if you want a true professional job, try signal50.com and let them redo the helmet. Its a bit pricy but their work is outstanding.

Forum Member

Default helmet restoration

First of all DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET IN THE OVEN!!!!!

The real way to reshape a helmet is to wait untill you catch a job and it will become pliable enough to reshape it.
    If you cant wait use a regular hair dryer and do it a little at a time heating bothe the top and the bottom of the brim. The oven could possibly destroy the helmet as well as being totally cheating.

As far as stripping go to walmart and buy the 15 min spray stripper from kleen strip. Spray it on and wait 15 min, then use a plastic puddy knife to take it off. You may need a few applications. after you do that brush on some zylol to remove the rest of the paint and rub it off with a towel allow the helmet to dry and sand any spots that need it. brush on some neets foot oil untill it will not soak in anymore. once that drys prime and paint with either engine paint or rustoleum.

The first thing I'll say is if you send your helmet to Signal 50 Industries we can take care of it. The other advice I'll give you is DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET IN THE OVEN I recommend moist heat. ie steam Thanks EHS7554 for the compliment!

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt
    Signal 50 Industries
    www.signal50.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the help.

I have a few more questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Anyone know where I can find some brass rivets like the ones used to attach the final holder and brass cap? I know that I can get the screw and barel nut setup but I want to keep everything as original looking as possible.

Second. What are some good websites to find parts for leathers besides the firestore? I'm trying to find a couple brass acorn nuts but all I could find at the firestore were chrome ones.

Last I was wondering how the replacement chinstraps are attached to a leather since the attaching look is riveted to the helmet and the replacement strat appears to have the same loop on the ends.

If I had the $$, I'd send it to signal50 in a heartbeat. By the looks of your website you can do some damn good work. I just can't swing that much right now.

Again, thanks for everyones help.

Thread Information