Forum Member

Question Cygnus Media Busy?

Anyone have any ideas why I simply cannot access Firehouse.com by typing it in my browser? I keep getting a message that says "Cygnus Media is experincing heavy use. Please try back later" (or something to that effect.) Somehow I managed to find my way to the fourms... I typed something in, hit a few more keys, and then asked my 6 year old to help me get to this site. ...I just hope I can find my way back to check this post. Even by getting here, I still cannot find my way to the Home Page without that message.

Any help you can offer a technologically impaired individual would be greatly appreciated...I can no longer afford my son's consulting fee!

Thanks

Andy

Truckie

No, getting on fine, no problems- maybe they don't like you?
    Nah, just kidding, I have been able to get on, but there have been some really slow periods. Especially loading some of the ad server pages.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

I got that message not too long ago, but then it seemed to fix itself and has not happened since that time.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Andy.I havent got that message but if this place gets any slower maybe we can watch the grass grow ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Let's talk fire trucks!

After I got that message, I checked thier sister site, officer.com, and got the same one. Seems to be working fine now...

Administrator

Site was down briefly, and forums should be very fast....if not, please post here approximate time eastern if it was slow, your connection speed and ISP.

Thanks

Forum Member

Well...everything is better for now...have had no problems for several days.

Josh...I agree things are slow around here...I myself have been working on a research paper and things have been stressful (I'm sure your Chief can empathize- as he is in the same boat)...so I haven't been on here lately. Well, the paper is done..for better or Worse...and I took a few days off for vacation...back to the grindstone!

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

All of last night and this morning. I couldn't access it from firehouse.com BUT I could back door it by Googling firehouse forums. Getting to be a pain in the *****. It probably happens 50% of the time I try to access the site within the last month.
    IACOJ

Administrator

Where are you trying to access it? The site appears to be running fine..what ISP?

MembersZone Subscriber

from home. AOL user. still showing too busy at 18:30 hrs
    IACOJ

Administrator

Thats some problem on AOL. We'll get in touch with them.

What happens if you go to www.firehouse.com/index.html

WebTeam

Administrator

Also what version of AOL are you using?

Thanks
    WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

It worked when I went to the index link.
    AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE road runner
    IACOJ

Administrator

OK, we'll contact AOL. Some must have some very old page cached...www.firehouse.com and www.firehouse.com/index.html are the same thing...so...we'll see if they can adjust...assume you are using AOL's built in browser not IE separately?

Administrator

Here's what AOL suggests:

You may not be able to load a specific Web page for any one of several reasons. After trying the first solution, check to see if you can access the Web page. If you are still unable to load the specific Web page, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.

You may wish to print or save a copy of these instructions, as this page may not remain visible as you go through the suggested steps.

Solutions

* Verify the Web Address
    * Reload the Web Page
    * Run an AOLŪ Auto Fix
    * Clear the Internet Explorer Cache and Rebuild the AOLŪ Adapter
    * Verify the Web Page Has Not Moved

For Additional Support
    Verify the Web Address

If the Web address is not typed in correctly, the Web browser will not load the correct Web page.

To verify the Web address:
    Make sure that the Web address (or URL) that you typed exactly matches the address you were given. Check that the capitalization matches, all words are spelled correctly, and all punctuation, like dots (.) and slashes (/), are correctly placed. Remember, there are no spaces allowed in Web addresses. A proper Web address will look like www.aol.com.

Reload the Web Page

When there are temporary problems with the connection to a Web page, reloading the Web page will prompt your Web browser to request the page's information again and may allow the Web page to load properly. You can also wait and try again later.

To reload the Web page, click the Refresh button.

Run an AOLŪ Auto Fix

AOL can help you automatically fix many common problems or errors with AOL Auto Fixes. Your AOLŪ software comes bundled with advanced technology to make it easy to repair the most common errors that prevent you from getting the most out of your AOLŪ membership. Just start an Auto Fix to have the AOLŪ service automatically go through steps to repair your software and optimize your AOLŪ experience.

To run an AOL Auto Fix:
    1. Go to AOLŪ Keyword: Fix It.
    2. Find the solution to the issue that most resembles the one you are currently experiencing and click the Download One-click Fixes button.

3. Follow the simple instructions to complete the repairs.

The Auto Fix will:
    1. Delete the temporary Internet files.
    2. Rebuild the AOLŪ Adapter.
    3. Repair Internet Explorer.

Clear the Internet Explorer Cache and Rebuild the AOL Adapter

When you browse the Web, graphics and text are downloaded to your computer. These files are known as Temporary Internet Files and are stored in the browser cache. Eventually these files may become damaged and cause pages to load incorrectly, or they may just build up and need to be cleared out. The AOLŪ software uses the AOL Adapter to access the Internet. Sometimes this adapter gets damaged and rebuilding it restores access to the Web.

Note: Depending on the number of stored files, clearing the cache may take a few minutes.

To clear the Internet Explorer cache and rebuild the AOL Adapter:
    1. Close the AOL software.
    2. Click the Start button, select Programs or All Programs, select America Online, then click AOL System Information.
    3. Click the Utilities tab.
    4. Click the Clear Browser Cache button or the Clear button, depending on which option you see.
    5. Click the Uninstall AOL Adapter or Rebuild AOL Adapter button.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Click the Close button.
    8. Restart the computer and launch the AOL software again. The AOL Adapter will rebuild automatically.

Forum Member

Wow...I'm sure glad my 6 yr old can work a computer...those are complex instrructions... I haven't run into this problem since shortly after I posted this (go figure huh..) But I use Internext explorer for broadband both at home and the office...so I'm not sure if the AOL solution will help if it happens again...But thanks for the reply!

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

I have know idea what you are asking me with the ie or broadband thing.
    I do know that if I use the link you showed me then it works. That is good enough for me. Thank you.

As for the short story you posted.......too long to read......try using pictures to keep our attention

Thanks for the prompt response and helping out a computer illiterate jake
    Mike
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The common demoninator seems to be AOL and Internet Explorer.

I stopped using I.E. a couple of years ago. We even dumped the blue e from the fire station computers. Firefox is a much better alternative.

AOL is, well, AOL. A google search of AOL problems has over 60 million pages listed.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Administrator

Default Condensed Instructions

Hello Everyone,

It appears that people experiencing this issue are essentially seeing a cached page. AOL is not checking for a new version of the page, so let's help it along.

Here are set of instructions for AOL 9.0 users running Microsoft Windows.
    If you are running other versions post them back here and will work out a procedure for you..

1. Click on "Start"
    2. Click on "Run"
    3. ***Important*** Copy and paste the following command including the quotes and excluding the double hyphens in the run box

--"C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\System Information\sinf.exe" /language=1033--

4. AOL will display a warning.. Click "OK"
    5. An AOL window will open.. Click on "Utilities"
    6. You will see "Current Cache" .. To the right of that you will see "Clear"
    7. Click on "Clear"
    8. Click on "Close"
    9. Close and Disconnect from AOL
    10 Connect to AOL as you typically do
    11. Try going to http://www.firehouse.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

fyi, I tried all your instructions and AOL still won't work for me. It's not a big problem for me because I can use another browser to access Firehouse. I just wanted to let you know that some users might still be having trouble. Thanks for your help, though.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Administrator

Default Really Condensed

Press and hold the "Ctrl" key and press refresh while at the url http://www.firehouse.com/

If this does not work and the fore mentioned instructions also did not work, please contact AOL LiveHelp to get assistance with clearing your cache.

http://search.aol.com/aolcom/search?...earch&ie=UTF-8

Forum Member

I got it last night. Tried to refresh and no dice......... And no AOL here, either....

Just cable broadband.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by webteam
    Press and hold the "Ctrl" key and press refresh while at the url http://www.firehouse.com/

Now, THAT worked! Thanks webteam.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Administrator

firenresq77, perhaps short term thing? working now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by webteam
    firenresq77, perhaps short term thing? working now?
    perhaps. It only happened to me that one time....... Hopefully never again!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information