Forum Member

Default A penny for your thoughts

Let me begin by stating that i am a 12 year member of a local volunteer fire company, past asst chief, and current president as well. I have recently moved and now live across the street from one of our neighboring fire companys. As of now i am still with my current dept, but the thought has crossed my mind as to why. It makes more sense to join the one across the st one would think right. I guess im looking for some thoughts on this, my current dept seems to be spiraling out of control, the current chiefs admistration is making radical and what many deem as not sane decisions, members are looking to me as president to step up and solve the problems, however they seem to be growing by the day on the non-civil side, the board of fire commisioners basically does not care what the chief does, and wont listen to members concerns, chief will listen but tells u that u are wrong. Is now the time to make a move and get out, join a new dept and start over, lose my senority, and what responsiblity and power i do have. Any thoughts of suggestions would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1 cent

does the phrase " Run Forrest Run" apply here?

sounds like you need a "de-briefing" period .....just remember that sometimes this grass APPEARS to be greener on the other side, so due diligence should be used to obtain as much info about the other company

MembersZone Subscriber

Guess you will have to decide if your 12 years in a half ***** department is worth trading for being a newbie again at a decent department that is much closer to you.

Hmmm..........
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Myself, I'm kind of curious as to how the President of the company can have any say/will over the Chief? One involves all the "administrative" side, one involves the "firematic" side. And somehow, I'm feeling enough people liked the chief's administration to vote them into place. Where are those people now?

Is it possible to become a past active member of your existing department, or something like that? Allowing you to stay a part of your past 12 years history?

Me, I'd try that and not be active at the old place and then join the new one. After all, "we're" doing this to help the public so we should be willing to do so from any firehouse.

Good Luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Yes i can stay as a honoray member, basically that gets me to the banquet on a yearly basis, and allows me to help with fundraisers and what not if i leave.

As far as those who voted for the chief, only a handfull of them even come to calls, drills and whatnot, the rest just sit home roll over and reset. It is a bad situation, and at this point I'm thinking my best bet is to finish my term out throught he end of the year and then make the move

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by svfire13
    voted for the chief
    Here is the problem!

Forum Member

Actually, here is the problem...
    only a handfull of them even come to calls, drills and whatnot, the rest just sit home roll over and reset
    Why would these people even be allowed to vote? Here's something you can do as President....set standards and requirements. Follow through with them. THAT will make "you" a better organization. You may lose a few members, but in the long run, you will probably gain some as they will see you as a more competent, "professional", organization.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I couldnt agree more, setting standards and requirements would be a huge help in solving many problems. Here in lies the problem, a by law change would be required and when it comes to this we always end up in a fight. we have in the past attempted to set standards for drill requiremts, meetings, and so forth to be able to vote and this is always shot down. The excuse always being we are volunteer why should we have to be here. This is a true bull**** excuse, u volunteer to searve and this is a requirement to searve, if u dont like theres the door in my book. Another real help would be the commisioners opening there eyes to what is going on, even though we elect the chief they still need to aprove him, and they are still living in the late 70's and wanting us to fight fire with high pressure, and use a first aid box for ems. Changes need to be made, just dont think i can do it alone, or with the what little help i can muster that wants to see change, most would rather bitch, and backstab than anything else

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation (Yawn)...... Well,..... Ah,....... Gosh........

Those of us that have been here for a few years are familiar with your situation, since we've seen it pop up here about once every other month. Not that I'm making light of your problem, I'm not. I am pointing out that this is a lot more common than most people think. Your situation is going to continue until some people retire to Florida, and some other people die. In New York State, to the best of my knowledge, you have to put up with both Town Government, as well as Fire District Commissioners. There is a big part of your problem, and the major reason that change is so difficult. Here, I have no such constraints, we deal with County Government and that's it. To make a change in our operation, all we need is a 2/3 majority at our monthly meeting. But, back to your first question: I've been in your position, many years ago. I joined the "other" department, while retaining my membership in the first one as well. EVERYTHING changes sooner or later, and some changes happened here that brought me back to my first department again.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

New York only allows you to be an active member of one FD. You can be a "social" or non-active member of more than one. What I tell members that move on from my department is, switch your membership to social here, go active elsewhere, if you come back here and want to become active again, all it takes is a letter to the BoD and the chief requesting a membership status change, then you just need to make sure that your training is current and you can start running calls. If the training isn't current then you'd have to get that in line before running calls.

Larry

Forum Member

Almost sounds like my department. Chief change, the guys that dont take the company serious put him in. They are getting just what they wanted.... a fire company that doesn't do any drills. The company is falling apart. Does anyone else ever feel that you are the only one that takes firefighting serious. Knowing that especially if your low call volume company, you NEED to train a LOT. Only two others in the company feel the way I do, My old chief and his sister (our asst chief). Changes need to happen, and I am doing what I can, gonna go crazy this next meeting.

On a good note, I am looking down the road, and brought back our explorers. Started to do training again for them, keeping them interested and liking the fire department.

Ah, I went a little off topic, but basically what i'm saying is you have two options. You can stay and try and fix (not an easy thing to do). Or you can do whats better for you, join the other company. Since you are closer to the other company, I would just transfer there.

Thread Information